PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Purchasing a Crown Vic

Stillen GLE
10-03-2009, 08:20 PM
I know this is a Marauder but the Crown Vic is the same thing. I have consider purchasing one just to tool around in. I know most of the cop cars have high miledge on them etc. so its gonna be in need of a motor.

I though about swapping in a 03-04 Cobra motor, but Id have to notch the frame because of the alternator. I have read about the Aluminator, but I've also seen the 5.0 Cammer Engine, but its 22K for that motor, can't really see myself paying 22G for a motor that's gonna go in a 2-5G car at most maybe slightly more.

I just need some Idea's I wanna stick with a 4.6L 4v DOHC for sure though. I could always swap in a Marauder engine, but Idk, I rather just build one.

I have seen some people get the MMR Block and stroke it out to a 5.3L, I am really just looking to daily drive it etc, I ain't really looking to race it. although I may get the itch to.

I am really confused, I am gonna look at my options a little more closely first. I am gonna check out MMR and some other places, Sean Hyland, makes some decent motor as well.

Where can I get a stock Crown Vic Marauder Intake manifold I wanna make it look factory.

SpartaPerformance
10-03-2009, 08:34 PM
First off they are not "the same" and you're lucky I got to you first before actual Marauder owners. :cool: True they are both Panther cars but the Marauder has a DOHC 4.6 while the Vic only has SOHC. The Marauder also has different suspension, interior etc... to name the least.

Anyway Carefully consider what you want to do with that Vic. Trick Flow just introduced a set of Twisted Wedge SOHC cylinder heads so depending on what year Vic you get Perhaps a P.I. intake swap and a set of those with a set of cams, gears and a good converter would be sufficient for daily driver without the $10,000 price tag especially if you do the work your self.

-Matt-
10-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Im not even going to comment on the "they are the same" comment.

But....

Boston mike has a nice DOHC 4.6 out of a marauder up by you that would be a good swap.

Stillen GLE
10-03-2009, 08:43 PM
I am looking at the newer Vics kinda, 03-7 Version, I could pick one up for a decent price. I know the marauder has a different motor.

-Matt-
10-03-2009, 08:45 PM
I know the marauder has a different motor.

....... and like everything else.

SpartaPerformance
10-03-2009, 08:55 PM
2003 + is the way to go. They actually have the the motor from the 99+ Mustang GT, if you find a police car good chances it would have a 3.73 gear too. Then all you would need is the heads cams converter all the regular bolt on and you would put over 300HP to the wheels without a real hefty price tag.

offroadking208
10-03-2009, 09:04 PM
2003 + is the way to go. They actually have the the motor from the 99+ Mustang GT, if you find a police car good chances it would have a 3.73 gear too. Then all you would need is the heads cams converter all the regular bolt on and you would put over 300HP to the wheels without a real hefty price tag.

Actually the CVPI's only come with a 3.27 or 3.55 from the factory. Available with and without Trac-lock. You won't find a CVPI with 3.73's unless someone swapped them in ;)

SpartaPerformance
10-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Actually the CVPI's only come with a 3.27 or 3.55 from the factory. Available with and without Trac-lock. You won't find a CVPI with 3.73's unless someone swapped them in ;)

I'll take your word for it but I'm sure in the Ford master equipment catalog for fleet vehicles I've seen a 3.73 option for police, just like most specs say they had a 224HP motor but I've also seen 250HP.... now if I could just find that catalog in this mess somewhere. :D

offroadking208
10-03-2009, 09:29 PM
lol, my dad has been the quartermaster for the department here in town for 10 years now. i've been going through police fleet magazines and order forms for these cars for as long as he's worked there :) you can get a 3.27 with or without Trac-Lock or a 3.55 with or without trac-lock. The civilian Crown Vics could be had with a higher gear set for better fuel economy, but you dont want that for performance. I'd say to go for a 2004 if you can. No drive by wire if you decide to keep the stock engine, and no problems that are usually in the 2003's. The 2004's are usually accepted as being the best year, with the highest output (all 2004's and newer have 250hp due to having the MZT from the factory :)), no drive by wire, and the best tune from the factory

UncleLar
10-03-2009, 09:45 PM
lol, my dad has been the quartermaster for the department here in town for 10 years now. i've been going through police fleet magazines and order forms for these cars for as long as he's worked there :) you can get a 3.27 with or without Trac-Lock or a 3.55 with or without trac-lock. The civilian Crown Vics could be had with a higher gear set for better fuel economy, but you dont want that for performance. I'd say to go for a 2004 if you can. No drive by wire if you decide to keep the stock engine, and no problems that are usually in the 2003's. The 2004's are usually accepted as being the best year, with the highest output (all 2004's and newer have 250hp due to having the MZT from the factory :)), no drive by wire, and the best tune from the factory
I agree about the 3.27 and 3.55 gears and going with a 2004.And the good part is if you go with a 2004 dropping in a MM motor is a heck of a lot easier.matter of fact one of our members here has a nice motor for sale at a quite reasonable price.He kinda got stuck because everybody urged him to buy his wrecked MM back so they could buy the parts and somebody backed out on the motor leaving him hanging.
I've seen fairly decent (maybe needing some paint work and a really good cleaning) 2004's near me at auction for $3000 -$4000 in good mechanical condition.
Or you can buy a high mileage MM for less than $10K and down the line rebuild the motor and beef it up when you have more $ saved up and enjoy Maraudering in the mean time. :burnout:

-Matt-
10-03-2009, 09:56 PM
I agree about the 3.27 and 3.55 gears and going with a 2004.And the good part is if you go with a 2004 dropping in a MM motor is a heck of a lot easier.matter of fact one of our members here has a nice motor for sale at a quite reasonable price.He kinda got stuck because everybody urged him to buy his wrecked MM back so they could buy the parts and somebody backed out on the motor leaving him hanging.
I've seen fairly decent (maybe needing some paint work and a really good cleaning) 2004's near me at auction for $3000 -$4000 in good mechanical condition.
Or you can buy a high mileage MM for less than $10K and down the line rebuild the motor and beef it up when you have more $ saved up and enjoy Maraudering in the mean time. :burnout:

Yep..... you should buy it, hes a good dude.

Im not even going to comment on the "they are the same" comment.

But....

Boston mike has a nice DOHC 4.6 out of a marauder up by you that would be a good swap.

Spectragod
10-04-2009, 05:59 AM
If I were going to do a vic up, Trick Flow heads, Edelbrock intake, a set of cams, you should be somewhere in the 350HP range at the wheels, and, it will be dependable to boot. A blown DOHC is a lot more fun though....:burnout:

Stillen GLE
10-04-2009, 06:40 AM
Thanks guys' I may go with a MM Built motor. It be nice to get the cammer motor, but that's crazy for 22G.

justbob
10-04-2009, 09:15 AM
If they are the same thing then I payed waaay too much! I guess I shoulda done more research...:eek:

dohc324ci
10-04-2009, 09:28 AM
I was in the same boat....until I test drove a Marauder. Same platform but suspension....motor combo are different. For roughly the same price you can find a Marauder.

I believe the Marauder is the perfect platform to build up.

4.6 DOHC 32V 10.1cr - Check
High stall Converter - Check
3.55 Gears - Check
High Flow Air Box w/ 80MM MAF - Check - BTW I sold mine used to the CV folks for $150/ they buy them new for $239/$300
Coil Overs by Tokico's - Check
Larger Diameter Disc Brakes F/R - Check
18" Polished Rims - Check
......I think you get it. With a little mods you can get your MM to the mid 14s.

BTW I was looking at a 2004 Crown Vic Sport LX w/Moon Roof for $12.5 or the Marauder for $11.5 in November 2007.

Good luck bud.

SpartaPerformance
10-04-2009, 10:28 AM
If I were going to do a vic up, Trick Flow heads, Edelbrock intake, a set of cams, you should be somewhere in the 350HP range at the wheels, and, it will be dependable to boot. A blown DOHC is a lot more fun though....:burnout:

I agree I'ld do the 2v it would be a lot more budget friendly. I'ld like to find a Vic with a blown engine and drop a 3v into it.

DJCV
10-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Friends-
Please continue to bear in mind that the original poster appears to be 19 years of age. I don't know him from Adam, but I would guess that funds for the STARTING platform may be limited.

I believe we would all agree that the acquisition price of a clean, used CV is considerably less than that of a similar-condition MM. Yes, it will take quite a bit to build it up to be performance-competitive with a MM, but building-up is half the fun---and can be done in increments over time without breaking the bank. And let's not forget that the ol' 2V 4.6 is a pretty stout & reliable platform.

Heck, even with only a good tune, a MM airbox, 3:55 or 3:73 gears, and decent shocks & aftermarket control arms, a clean CV is a lot of fun to drive and will surprise quite a few.

No, it's no MM, but some like the sleeper quality of the CV just the same.

Whatever you pick to drive, why not enjoy it?

Stillen GLE
10-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Yes funds are somewhat limited but not all that much. I just wanna be mild with this, because I can't justify paying anymore then a few grand for a motor. I figure the Crown Vic would have alot of miles and would eventually take a ****. That's why I've been back and forth about what motor to get.

But I specifically want a 4.6L 4v I could always start out with a Cobra Iron Block etc or a Aluminator. I would have looked at a 5.4L Ford GT Block but its a 4v motor, but it wouldn't fit between the frames from what I hear. If that's not the case then I may pursue the Ford GT WS Block.

The only 5.4L I could see fitting in there is a 5.4L 2v SOHC. thats an Expy/F-150 motor.

W4LTD
10-04-2009, 12:48 PM
The only 5.4L I could see fitting in there is a 5.4L 2v SOHC. thats an Expy/F-150 motor.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you went the 5.4L route you would have to modify the hood due to the higher intake plenum...

SpartaPerformance
10-04-2009, 01:09 PM
But I specifically want a 4.6L 4v.....

It wasn't all that clear that you really wanted a 4v (at least not to me). Go to car-part.com (http://www.car-part.com) and you can look for a 4v short block or even an entire engine from any ford that had one ie. 99-01 Cobra, Mach 1, Marauder. Prices are pretty fare and some places might even deliver.

Pops
10-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Buy a Marauder! By the time you buy all the stuff to do the conversion a Marauder will be a lot less money. The Marauder will be more cost effective in the long run and easier to modify. Good Luck!:)

Stillen GLE
10-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but if you went the 5.4L route you would have to modify the hood due to the higher intake plenum...

No your right I forgot to mention that, but I meant that its the only thing that would fit between the frame rails, that wouldn't require any modifying besides to that hood.

It wasn't all that clear that you really wanted a 4v (at least not to me). Go to car-part.com (http://www.car-part.com) and you can look for a 4v short block or even an entire engine from any ford that had one ie. 99-01 Cobra, Mach 1, Marauder. Prices are pretty fare and some places might even deliver.

I am consider supercharging it, maybe a centriqual or whatever you call it vortech or procharger. I may just build the motor without the s/c.

Stillen GLE
10-04-2009, 02:17 PM
I am considering this motor, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-2004-4-6-Ford-Mustang-Cobra-Romeo-4V-S-C-engine_W0QQitemZ360099166167QQ cmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Tr uck_Parts_Accessories?hash=ite m53d79537d7&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

I may have trilogy make the Eaton s/c swap haven't decided yet. there's a few other engines options I am consider as well, I may adapt a Marauder ECU to it. I am looking for at least 5-600HP. I want it to be a sleeper.

I tried linking the specs through ebay, but got a bunch of red, I just copied the link instead.

justbob
10-04-2009, 02:35 PM
If you were to purchase that then you would have to go the S/C route due to its low compression. There is another version of that for N/A applications. You are talking about investing in an engine that will cost more than the car when completed not to mention a strong trans, built rear, control arms, exhaust, ETC. I could go on and on. I suggest keeping with a 2V, build it up with bolt ons and through some spray at it, j-mod the tranny at the very least, and get a dyno tune. You will be quite happy in the end and have a whole lot of dough to break stuff with.

Stillen GLE
10-04-2009, 03:45 PM
If you were to purchase that then you would have to go the S/C route due to its low compression. There is another version of that for N/A applications. You are talking about investing in an engine that will cost more than the car when completed not to mention a strong trans, built rear, control arms, exhaust, ETC. I could go on and on. I suggest keeping with a 2V, build it up with bolt ons and through some spray at it, j-mod the tranny at the very least, and get a dyno tune. You will be quite happy in the end and have a whole lot of dough to break stuff with.

Thanks didn't know that, then ill more then likely pick up a N/A Aluminator, unless like I said I decide to go with the Trilogy S/C kit.

I am looking at MMR for motors as well. How well do you think the rear would hold up?

Stranger in the Black Sedan
10-04-2009, 07:23 PM
I drove a 2006 crown vic sport and then the Marauder. The CV sport is pretty close to a CVPI. The vic drove the same as the Marauder like a mini van drives the same.

SpartaPerformance
10-04-2009, 09:33 PM
I am considering this motor, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-2004-4-6-Ford-Mustang-Cobra-Romeo-4V-S-C-engine_W0QQitemZ360099166167QQ cmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Tr uck_Parts_Accessories?hash=ite m53d79537d7&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

I may have trilogy make the Eaton s/c swap haven't decided yet. there's a few other engines options I am consider as well, I may adapt a Marauder ECU to it. I am looking for at least 5-600HP. I want it to be a sleeper.

I tried linking the specs through ebay, but got a bunch of red, I just copied the link instead.

I sell that same engine on my site....a little cheaper then the one on eGay you're looking at.

Aluminator Supercharged (https://ssl111.webhosting.optonline.ne t/spartaperformance.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=13_15&products_id=64)

Stillen GLE
10-05-2009, 07:01 AM
Thanks I am just not sure which route to go with. I wanna it to look stock. MMR has some nice blocks but not sure, Sean Hyland has nice stuff to.

Stillen GLE
10-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Just a quick question Will these heads fit a marauder? M-6049-464P and M-6050-464P?

Blackened300a
10-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Buy a Marauder! By the time you buy all the stuff to do the conversion a Marauder will be a lot less money. The Marauder will be more cost effective in the long run and easier to modify. Good Luck!:)

So when are you getting one? :D

Stillen GLE
10-10-2009, 11:50 AM

I am not getting a marauder. I may just build up the Crown Vics motor a little bit.

Motorhead350
10-12-2009, 01:34 AM

:rofl: :lol:

That was kinda mean!

:D

Bluerauder
10-12-2009, 03:53 AM
I know this is a Marauder but the Crown Vic is the same thing.

Not quite. :rolleyes: Go test drive a Marauder and see for yourself.

+1 ^^^^. Much more cost effective.

SC Cheesehead
10-12-2009, 04:04 AM
Not quite. :rolleyes: Go test drive a Marauder and see for yourself.

+1 ^^^^. Much more cost effective.

Got to agree with Bluerauder and Pops, for what you'll spend to buy a CV and mod it, you can pick up a decent MM and be way ahead to begin with. If you're going the SC route, this is the way to go, IMO.

babbage
10-12-2009, 06:22 AM
I am not getting a marauder. I may just build up the Crown Vics motor a little bit.

Many have talked about a 4v swap, few have done it.

http://www.crownvic.net is your best place to start. My suggestion would be to find a nice used 2004 P71

I understand you want the world, but with only $2K to spend on the motor you're better off just changing: oil, plugs, filters, brakes, gear oil, buy new tires etc.

Good luck.

Stillen GLE
02-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Sorry to bring this thread back up, It's been a while. Just out of Curiousity will a Gt500 5.4L 4v fit in a CV or marauder? I've seen a guy put a v-10 in his, although that's really just a 5.4L block with 2 additional pistons added to the block.

Zack
02-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Sorry to bring this thread back up, It's been a while. Just out of Curiousity will a Gt500 5.4L 4v fit in a CV or marauder? I've seen a guy put a v-10 in his, although that's really just a 5.4L block with 2 additional pistons added to the block.

Anything will fit, but you will have to convert to a hydroboost brake assembly and relocate the heater box.

I was the guy who did the V10 conversion and scrapped it before I got it running.

A 3v 5.4 will go right it with a custom steering shaft.

Marauder386
02-15-2010, 02:05 PM
It should with some engineering ... ZACK PLEASE CHIME IN ... some of us have and are punching out the 4.6 DOHC to 5.3 with good results ...

:cool4:

Zack
02-15-2010, 02:06 PM
It should with some engineering ... ZACK PLEASE CHIME IN ... some of us have and are punching out the 4.6 DOHC to 5.3 with good results ...

I beat you to it ;)

Marauder386
02-15-2010, 02:16 PM
L!oL okay okay so I owe yah a case of Blue Moon ... jeeez !

Stillen GLE
02-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Anything will fit, but you will have to convert to a hydroboost brake assembly and relocate the heater box.

I was the guy who did the V10 conversion and scrapped it before I got it running.

A 3v 5.4 will go right it with a custom steering shaft.

Where you in a magazine. I think i saw it in hot rod magazine or something to that effect.

ctrlraven
02-15-2010, 03:01 PM
Talk about mods once you get a car, you're spending all your keyboard money extremely fast lol.

Figure out what you want your end goal to me. Do you want a 13, 12, 11 sec street car, all out track car or just a nice cruiser that you can have some fun with here and there.

You're better off buying a Marauder because the power (which you seek) starting point is a lot higher than a CVPI.

Stillen GLE
02-16-2010, 05:21 AM
Talk about mods once you get a car, you're spending all your keyboard money extremely fast lol.

Figure out what you want your end goal to me. Do you want a 13, 12, 11 sec street car, all out track car or just a nice cruiser that you can have some fun with here and there.

You're better off buying a Marauder because the power (which you seek) starting point is a lot higher than a CVPI.

Thank's I was just curious to know if a GT500 Motor would fit in the engine bay of a crown vic. or a marauder for that matter.

CBT
02-16-2010, 06:51 AM
Where you in a magazine. I think i saw it in hot rod magazine or something to that effect.
Yeah, but that was when he was younger and paying his way through college.

babbage
02-16-2010, 08:55 AM
Thank's I was just curious to know if a GT500 Motor would fit in the engine bay of a crown vic. or a marauder for that matter.

Again if you have your heart set on a CV go over to www.crownvic.net (http://www.crownvic.net) there are hundreds of tire kickers just like you!

Buy your car first - then tune it up and get good brakes and tires.

Stillen GLE
02-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Yeah, but that was when he was younger and paying his way through college.

this http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/72538_1999_ford_crown_victoria/index.html

Again if you have your heart set on a CV go over to www.crownvic.net (http://www.crownvic.net) there are hundreds of tire kickers just like you!

Buy your car first - then tune it up and get good brakes and tires.

I don't have my heart set on anything, I am gathering though's and ideas. I've already been on that site.

Embassy
02-16-2010, 12:09 PM
this http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/72538_1999_ford_crown_victoria/index.html

That Vic is well-documented on CVN. I'd search on there if you're looking for more details on it.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
02-16-2010, 02:11 PM
So much crown vic /marquis jibber jabber over here lately. What is happening to this site?

DJCV
02-16-2010, 05:09 PM

x2

No offense, but if you're leaning towards a CV, you are much, much better off spending time on crownvic.net in terms of learning the pros & cons of that set up.

Bradley G
02-16-2010, 05:42 PM
most of the Marauder parts I found to hop up the LSE were found here on .net
x2

No offense, but if you're leaning towards a CV, you are much, much better off spending time on crownvic.net in terms of learning the pros & cons of that set up.

CBT
02-16-2010, 05:48 PM
So much crown vic /marquis jibber jabber over here lately. What is happening to this site?

I don't mind, as long as the folks don't start bashing Marauders. A whole lot o' cars besides Marauders are talked about here, even I'm guilty of it.

Pops
02-16-2010, 05:55 PM
I don't mind, as long as the folks don't start bashing Marauders. A whole lot of cars besides Marauders are talked about here, even I'm guilty of it. You mean like the guys with old cars and racecars and the cool trucks and the Mustang news and the Challanger talk and the........

CBT
02-16-2010, 06:02 PM
You mean like the guys with old cars and racecars and the cool trucks and the Mustang news and the Challanger talk and the........

LOL, well let's not get all technical:beer: