PDA

View Full Version : Will The Marauder Wheel Fit?

martyo
01-05-2010, 11:21 AM
A 2000 Crown Vic?

Also, will a widened Marauder wheel fit the same car?

Thanks.

FordNut
01-05-2010, 11:31 AM
I think it would require pretty thick spacers.

a_d_a_m
01-05-2010, 11:37 AM
A 2000 Crown Vic? IIRC, you will need 1.5" spacers all the way around. 1.5" in the front and 2" would give it a better stance.

martyo
01-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks.

Any known source for said spacers?

Stranger in the Black Sedan
01-05-2010, 02:55 PM
ebay, there are companies on there that have decently priced billet spacers, the kind with their own studs (and some are even hub centric specific to the application you need, which is always best if you can get it)

a_d_a_m
01-05-2010, 03:20 PM
For my Grand Marquis, I used eBay user eZaccessory. High-quality stuff. Some people will give you a rash of crap because they're not technically 'hubcentric' but I never had a problem.

This included dry-pavement donuts, burnouts, and an open-road rally through some rural area near Latrobe, PA...probably the hardest I ever drove any car in my life.

martyo
01-05-2010, 03:23 PM
For my Grand Marquis, I used eBay user eZaccessory. High-quality stuff. Some people will give you a rash of crap because they're not technically 'hubcentric' but I never had a problem.

This included dry-pavement donuts, burnouts, and an open-road rally through some rural area near Latrobe, PA...probably the hardest I ever drove any car in my life.

Ball park, what did they run?

Obviously, I need to do all four wheels.

a_d_a_m
01-05-2010, 03:34 PM
I think it was around $140 for the set of 4 (two 1.5" spacers, and two 2" spacers).

This was back in '07 so:
1. my memory may not be serving correctly
2. prices may have increased.

Caveat emptor, in other words! :D

chapel1
01-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Will it clear the rear qtr fender flanges ? Ford rolled the sheet metal on our fenders for tire clearance?

ImpalaSlayer
01-05-2010, 05:02 PM
what is "hub centric"?

FordNut
01-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Flanged... You know how the OEM rims fit onto a little ridge at the center of the front hubs and rear axle ends... Keeps them centered.

ImpalaSlayer
01-05-2010, 05:14 PM
hmm i i always thought they were just really close tolerance. didnt know that was ment to be functional

Joe Walsh
01-05-2010, 05:19 PM
what is "hub centric"?

Flanged... You know how the OEM rims fit onto a little ridge at the center of the front hubs and rear axle ends... Keeps them centered.

hmm i always thought they were just really close tolerance. didnt know that was ment to be functional

You really do want 'hubcentric' spacers....spacers with the ridge/lip around the center bore.
My brother went through hell trying to mount a set of Cobra 'R' rims on his 2000CV. Two "reputable" companies sent him non-hubcentric spacers and he had constant vibration problems. Finally he got a set of high quality 'hubcentric' spacers...problem solved.
BTW: He also had to put longer studs in the axles.
I'll call him to see what company he bought them from.

gdmjoe
01-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Comments ..... as others have mentioned - 1˝" adapters.
hub-concentric - the Panther rims align on the hub using the center-bore rather than relying on the lug nuts to center them.
rolling the fender lips shouldn't be necessary with 1˝" adapters since there should be (?) ~ ž" of clearance.
inbound clearance shouldn't be an issue with widened rims, since pre-2003 Panther shocks are mounted differently.
as others have mentioned, ezaccessory @ eBayŽ offers quality, hub-concentric adapters.
IMO the highest quality adapters are H&R and Eibach ( which are made by H&R though are less $$$$$ ). *How can you go wrong with MADE IN GERMANY ( in the Black Forest by elves :D ).
H&R adapters are available from Maximum Motorsports (http://www.maximummotorsports.com/) <<<<< -click-
have used ( and currently have ) all three of the adapters noted above and have done business with Maximum Motorsports.

martyo
01-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the great info guys!!!!

a_d_a_m
01-05-2010, 09:43 PM
as others have mentioned, ezaccessory @ eBayŽ offers quality, hub-concentric adapters. Joe, I was under the assumption that a hub-concentric adapter had a small lip around the outer edge to keep the spacer centered properly on the wheel.

My spacers from eZaccessory did not have any such lip on them.

I.E. my spacers looked like this:
http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/rigged.up/SP-5451_s.jpg

The center bore on the spacers did match up with the diameter of the hub, but I still thought there had to be something to keep the wheel centered on the spacer for it to be considered hub-concentric.

In other words...this is what I thought a hub-concentric spacer looked like:
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww248/wegotebay/Spacers_5lug_A.jpg

Sorry to have caused any confusion in this thread...I'm just not sure my definition of hub-concentric is correct...

gdmjoe
01-06-2010, 09:34 AM
adam/cleveland - Joe, I was under the assumption that a hub-concentric adapter had a small lip around the outer edge to keep the spacer centered properly on the wheel.

My spacers from eZaccessory did not have any such lip on them.

I.E. my spacers looked like this:
http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/rigged.up/SP-5451_s.jpg
The seller offers both types of adapters; you happened to get the non hub-concentric.

Example ...

http://i.ebayimg.com/01/!Big!GhQBmk~$(KGrHqYOKigEsm+Vc gY7BLPSN)y)4Q~~_35.JPG
-LISTING- (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wheel-Adapters-Mustang-Explorer-Hub-Centric-Spacers-1-5_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5 ad6091d53QQitemZ390137978195QQ ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPart sQ5fAccessories)
Attention MartyO: The above link is for a current ezaccessory @ eBayŽ listing.

The center bore on the spacers did match up with the diameter of the hub, but I still thought there had to be something to keep the wheel centered on the spacer for it to be considered hub-concentric.
Correct. And if you recall the wheel hub has a ring/lip to center the rim. However ... The adapter in essence "extends" the mounting flange of the hub and therefore needs the lip/ring to center the rim on the new mounting point. So ... The adapter has the correct center bore to mate to the hub and it has the ring/lip to allow the rim/wheel to have the same self-centering. That's hub-concentric.

In other words...this is what I thought a hub-concentric spacer looked like:
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww248/wegotebay/Spacers_5lug_A.jpg
Yes ... That is an example of a hub concentric adapter. And noted previously ... The seller offers/sells both types.

Dennis Reinhart
01-06-2010, 09:37 AM
A 2000 Crown Vic?

Also, will a widened Marauder wheel fit the same car?

Thanks.

Martin it will also stick out past the vendors

a_d_a_m
01-06-2010, 02:43 PM
The seller offers both types of adapters; you happened to get the non hub-concentric. Thanks for the clarification...my understanding of them is/was correct then! :bows:

gdmjoe
01-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Dennis Reinhart - Martin it will also stick out past the vendors
Assuming that you meant "fenders" .... Marauder rims widened by Weldcraft would not extend beyond the fenders. Recall that the increased width is done to the backside of the rim and does/would not affect the position of the rim flange and where it mounts to the hub.

A 1˝" adapter on a pre-2003 Panther essentially establishes the 2003+ rim/wheel spacing.