PDA

View Full Version : For those that have been asking about me

Motorhead350
08-09-2010, 03:59 AM
This past year has been tough, but worth every bit of effort with no regrets. The intersnhip at Rock N' Roll Fantasy Camp paid off by being invited out to London all expenses paid for. For being there two weeks I spend 30 pounds and 24 pounds was for a tee shirt. I will probably be going back to the Camp for a few more events in fall. So in a way I will be on tour for around six weeks. The staff is great too.

Here's what's come back to me. I haven't been able to get a job because I have never gotten word from anyone at camp if they want me in fall or not. It took them weeks to get back to me an only recently they said they still "maybe" want me in fall. Why not apply for even a crappy job? The reason is because with all these people I have to be able to make it over on short notice. So even if it was a crappy $8 an hour job I would have to say "I'm needed in another part of the counrty next week and I don't know when I will be back." Talk like this will get me fired and I don't want something like that on my record.

I have been selling off stuff that I haven't used in six months or greater to be able to put food in my mouth and gas in the car. I was even thinking of getting another car to reduce my cost of spending on gas, but the issue is I need the space for amps, guitars, recording equipment... sometimes all at once. The Marauder has enough room for everything and four adults. I wouldn't drive so much if I could help it, but I have been on the move from one place to another so often I don't have time for the train. Plus by the time I must head home it's usually 11pm or after. I am not going on a train from 11pm-12:30am with a Gibson guitar. I'll bite the bullet for gas and stay safe in my car.

What's going on this week is I am going to Durango, CO to help/work/observe/produce The Misfits record their new album. I have been asked twice in the past couple of years to play on it. Also I have been working with the singer on a new 1950's album. Believe it or not teaching him how to play songs and sometimes at random I'll be called to answer what key an Oldies song is in. I really wanna see The Misfits with Danzig again and I know they'll make more money if they just all decide to get along (at least on stage) and the fans would love it. All the members that matter are still alive, so why not? I keep waiting for the right time to even say the name Danzig, but even in the past few years I haven't. It really seems like a bad idea to talk about that, but I just know if everyone sucked up their egos for one tour, it would give them more benefit than ever. Plus when in CO the band wants to me bring my demo and meet the producer. He has worked with Joan Jett, Reverend Horton Heat, Motorhead, Nirvana... and I was told is someone I should meet, maybe he can do something for me.

Yesterday I got the most important phone call of my life. I met another producer at Camp in LA and I was with him in London too. I made the impression to him that I was a devoted music and a real old schooler. He couldn't believe someone my age had a hatred for ipods, autotune, protools and even sterio recordings. I really made an impression on him I suppose. Well he called me last night and said he listened to my bands demo and would be very blunt. The music is great, singing, screaming, yelling... all where it should be. The only issue is the lyrics are too simple.

He told me he said "I would tell anyone to keep their day job and quit wasting their time, but you guys have something. I am just not convinced yet. If you work on the lyrics, send it back out to me and you'll have my support. I will contact every label I know and tell them about you guys and I will back you."

I couldn't believe that. Even to hear a good word just made my jaw drop as I was leaning against the Marauder in the parking lot on my cell phone. Just the other day I was thinking how horrible of a musician I am, but I guess I am the only one telling myself that now. So the plan is to listen to top 40 music (this will be difficult for me) look up the songs, see what they are singing about and find a way to adapt that to my bands songs. I was already told the music is fine, so all I have to do is change the words until it's acceptable. I was thinking how Roy Orbison did this with Only The Lonely... that song had two other sets of lyrics before Roy layed down Only The Lonely, I wonder if the first two "songs" were ever released... ever.

So I guess you could say I am selling out. I was told never to lie though in lyrics and probably need to focus on writing about women, if that was the case the whole album would be a rant. So I must make it as clean as possible. I am still keeping the old lyrics and might release them under a different name or just for friends. Right now I need to find a brand new set of words, record them, pass them off and see what happens. I'm already 3/4s of the way there. 1. Music 2. Melodies 3. Vocals and now 4. Lyric content

I had been questioning if I have been making the right decisions concerning my life recently, with everything. School, friends, where my money goes, wither or not to keep persuing the dream or just find something else before I'm in my 30s and haven't progressed in anything. Well it's moving along and even if it seems like it hasn't it's fired up and ready to launch.

I know this seems like a blog, but I have been getting phone calls from quite a few members asking how everything is going, so here you go.

Thanks for your concerns everyone. I will do my best to make MV, but with this 3,000+ mile drive coming up it's looking doubtful. If I miss it, I'm glad I made the decision to make the trip because I have the rest of my life for car events. Cars are a hobby, you only have so long to meet the right people at the right time in your life. Not saying that meeting new people at MV would be a waste of time at all, just need to keep prioties in order and hobbies aren't number one at this point of time.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

BTW the songs we decided to cover were:
Johnny B. Goode -Chuck Berry
It's Still Rock N' Roll To Me -Billy Joel
Automobile -N.W.A.

None of these sound like the original, especially the last two. Can't wait to show them to you guys. Might have the Marauder song completely done by MV. Right now I just need to finish the vocals on the choruses and final verses.

SC Cheesehead
08-09-2010, 04:44 AM
Dom,

Glad to hear that things are going the right way for you.

Hang in there, bubba.

PonyUP
08-09-2010, 06:37 AM
thats good to hear Dom, glad there is some light in the tunnel. Good Luck

thathotrodlincn
08-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Looks to me like you're working hard following your dream. Keep at it man and best of luck.

RF Overlord
08-09-2010, 12:00 PM
That's excellent news, Dom! :up:

I'm looking forward to the day when I can impress people by telling them: "I knew Dominick when he was just an ordinary pain in the ass!" :D

Never lose sight of the dream, brah. If we miss you at MV8, at least we'll know it was for a greater good.

J-MAN
08-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks for sharing. :snore:

TAKEDOWN
08-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Follow your dreams, annd have a B-Plan! Remember Dom, expect the best, but be prepared for the worst! Either way I see you on top, besrt of luck to ya Dom!

Ken
08-09-2010, 04:05 PM
That's excellent news, Dom! :up:

I'm looking forward to the day when I can impress people by telling them: "I knew Dominick when he was just an ordinary pain in the ass!" :D

Never lose sight of the dream, brah. If we miss you at MV8, at least we'll know it was for a greater good.+1

This post needs audio!

Ken

guspech750
08-09-2010, 07:37 PM
3 cheers for Dom!!! Keep on after those dreams Dom and dont look back. No regrets bro!!! My dream is to be the holding tank in a portajohn.:rolleyes:

W4LTD
08-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Best of luck, Dom, you deserve it...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Grammy.jpg/200px-Grammy.jpghttp://www.thehealthcareblog.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/11/16/rockstar.jpg

Haggis
08-10-2010, 04:03 AM
Good luck Dom and remember; sex ,drugs and rock & roll.

Motorhead350
08-10-2010, 04:33 PM
sex and rock & roll. ^^^^^ Same thing. :P

Thanks for the kind words guys. I should be leaving tomorrow and won't be able to post for a while.

Joe Walsh, enjoy! ;)