PDA

View Full Version : More computer issues...

Leadfoot281
08-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Last week I got an onscreen error that read "CPU fan has failed. Shutting down"...or something like that. At any rate, I knew there was nothing wrong with the fan since it still runs. I thoroughly cleaned everything inside the case and replaced the CPU fan with one from my old machine. No changes.

I downloaded a program to check my core temps. Bingo! My core temps just typing this post is currently between 95 and 100 degree Fahrenheit each. (Duel core machine). No wonder why my computer thinks the fan has died.

Running a You-Tube video will push the temps over 180 degrees. The fans are running so fast it sounds like my computer is taxiing onto the runway for take-off.

System diagnostics report say that my partitioned drive "D" has less than 15% free space. I suspect this is where the problem is. It recommends that I back up "non-critical files and remove them from the drive". The only thing in there is something called "Restore". This is where I got lost.

Any ideas what to do next? Need more info? Thanks in advance.

MM2004
08-16-2010, 02:50 PM
Last week I got an onscreen error that read "CPU fan has failed. Shutting down"...or something like that. At any rate, I knew there was nothing wrong with the fan since it still runs.

I downloaded a program to check my core temps. Bingo! My core temps just typing this post is currently between 95 and 100 degree Fahrenheit each. (Duel core machine). No wonder why my computer thinks the fan has died.

Running a You-Tube video will push the temps over 180 degrees. The fans are running so fast it sounds like my computer is taxiing onto the runway for take-off.

System diagnostics report say that my partitioned drive "D" has less than 15% free space. I suspect this is where the problem is. It recommends that I back up "non-critical files and remove them from the drive". The only thing in there is something called "Restore". This is where I got lost.

Any ideas what to do next? Need more info? Thanks in advance.

I have seen cases where the fans were OK, but the heat-sink that sits on the processor(s) was not tightened against the cores causing a "Thermal Event".

Kinda hard to say without seeing the machine to troubleshoot issues.

Are there a lot of processes running that is causing the heat issues?

What application did you install to measure core temps?

Virus protection up to date?

You could try running Malwarebytes (very good at finding bugs)

You could always try buying a can of air at Walmart, crack the case and blow out the fans, vents, etc...

Worth a try.

Good luck!

Mike.

fastblackmerc
08-16-2010, 02:54 PM
The fan may actually be bad. I'd replace it. Should be less than $20.00.

You may actually have a virus or malware infection.

BlueFusion
08-16-2010, 03:44 PM
What kind of computer? My sister's POS Dell had the plastic retainers that held the heat sink down break. I had to order a new plastic retainer to keep the heat sink tight. That is after cleaning the CPU and HS with some everclear and putting down some new thermal paste.

I'd guess the heat sink is not sitting on the CPU properly. Pull it off, clean the contact surfaces, apply some thermal paste, re-install and make sure it's flat and tight on the CPU.

Leadfoot281
08-16-2010, 08:06 PM
What kind of computer? My sister's POS Dell had the plastic retainers that held the heat sink down break. I had to order a new plastic retainer to keep the heat sink tight. That is after cleaning the CPU and HS with some everclear and putting down some new thermal paste.

I'd guess the heat sink is not sitting on the CPU properly. Pull it off, clean the contact surfaces, apply some thermal paste, re-install and make sure it's flat and tight on the CPU.

The thermal paste took care of it. Thanks for the help! Naturally it wasn't quite that easy..

It was 140 mile round trip to Best Buy (road construction) where i bought a new CPU fan. Of course they didn't have just the fan. I had to buy a huge heat sink/fan combo. After I got home and tore my rig apart, I found out that the new fan combo had a 4 pin connecter (mine has 3 pins).

Tomorrow I get to drive the parts back for a refund. Considering the gas milage of my Jeep, I might just as well keep the dang thing and save it for when I'm ready to build my next computer. I still have to put my old computer back together again too.

BTW, It's an HP Pavillion Media Center 6000+ with 600watt Antec PS, Nvidia 9800GT OC card, 640gb HD, and a 4mb memory. It's been hot rodded a bit.

RacerX
08-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Use Artic Silver when re-applying thermal compound. Good stuff, we're the only distributor in our state. Oh, btw, that may be hot-rodded for you, but, for a computer tech that has three exact matching servers for data redundancy with 6TB ea. of drive space in RAID5 arrays... ;)

Leadfoot281
08-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Use Artic Silver when re-applying thermal compound. Good stuff, we're the only distributor in our state. Oh, btw, that may be hot-rodded for you, but, for a computer tech that has three exact matching servers for data redundancy with 6TB ea. of drive space in RAID5 arrays... ;)

Actually, my current graphics card is more powerfull than my last computer. That one was steam powered and used punch cards. The local blacksmith built it for me. Heck, I just got hi-speed 1.5 years ago. Looking back on those days, I think I have the worlds fastest computer. Lol!

Oh BTW, I forgot to mention, this is where I found the core temp application. http://www.cnet.com/?tag=hdr;brandnav . I also downloaded the malewarebytes program there and it did find some stuff. I don't think Avast! is as good as some people say it is.