PDA

View Full Version : engine help

tallpaul
08-18-2010, 06:50 PM
O.K. I know this isn't about my marauder, but I need a little info on my '86 dodge engine reassembly. I have had the heads reworked because they were worped .012, valves etc. redone and I have soaked the pushrods for over 24 hours. My question is do the rocker arms need to be soaked? I am not real sure on how to adjust the rocker arms. I have looked on youtube and they have some links about that. The other thing is that the carbureated engine was almost impossible to cold start and sometimes hot start before the thing overheated. I decided to rebuild the carbureator. What do you think may be causing the hard starting? Any help would be great.

fastblackmerc
08-18-2010, 07:10 PM
O.K. I know this isn't about my marauder, but I need a little info on my '86 dodge engine reassembly. I have had the heads reworked because they were worped .012, valves etc. redone and I have soaked the pushrods for over 24 hours. My question is do the rocker arms need to be soaked? I am not real sure on how to adjust the rocker arms. I have looked on youtube and they have some links about that. The other thing is that the carbureated engine was almost impossible to cold start and sometimes hot start before the thing overheated. I decided to rebuild the carbureator. What do you think may be causing the hard starting? Any help would be great.

You need to soak the valve lifters in oil so they fill up before you install them.

To adjust the valves you usually need to tighten the rocker arms down and then loosen them until you get the correct rocker arm to valve stem clearance.

I'd strongly suggest you get a shop manual for this vehicle.

RacerX
08-18-2010, 07:22 PM
You tighten things down too much, you'll bend a rod... Hydraulic lifters or solid? As far as the starting issue, that was BEFORE you rebuilt the carb, etc.? If so, you need to see how it runs now before you ask that question. It may not be an issue anymore.

thathotrodlincn
08-19-2010, 04:32 AM
What kind of carb? Is it a Carter (common on Mopar) Holley, or what? Each make of carb has their own way of doing things and method of correction. Need more information.

tallpaul
08-19-2010, 05:24 AM
It's a Holley 4 barrel 750 cfm without an electric choke. Thanks for the help.

What kind of carb? Is it a Carter (common on Mopar) Holley, or what? Each make of carb has their own way of doing things and method of correction. Need more information.

tallpaul
08-19-2010, 05:27 AM
They are hydraulic lifters and yes that was before I rebuilt the carbs. What I meant before was what do you think could cause the starting issue. I don't see any fuel getting to the primaries when I manually move the throttle arm. I have replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pump. Thanks for the input and help.

You tighten things down too much, you'll bend a rod... Hydraulic lifters or solid? As far as the starting issue, that was BEFORE you rebuilt the carb, etc.? If so, you need to see how it runs now before you ask that question. It may not be an issue anymore.

thathotrodlincn
08-19-2010, 05:54 AM
Center pivot float? What did you do about float level? Holly is external float level adjustment. If float level is too low, you will not get fuel out. Also what about the accellerator pump adjustment? Is the pump cam properly adjusted and secured? I like the Holley, it has many methods of fine tuning, but it takes some skill and dedication to properly tune. The results are worth it.