PDA

View Full Version : Probe GT

freakstatus
08-20-2010, 04:59 PM
I've had the same guy creep up to me for the past two mornings on my way to work trying to egg me on. I haven't obliged him yet and not sure if I ever will but no doubt I'll see him again.

He has a very nice looking red Probe GT. Are these things fast?

cj7chris
08-20-2010, 05:00 PM
No. Not if he's stock.

visionmercury
08-20-2010, 05:22 PM
no not at all my 87 mgm will smoke one :) lol

Spectragod
08-20-2010, 05:33 PM

If you ask him it is.....:shake:

DarthMarauder
08-20-2010, 05:41 PM
I've had the same guy creep up to me for the past two mornings on my way to work trying to egg me on. I haven't obliged him yet and not sure if I ever will but no doubt I'll see him again.

It is not fast even if it wasnt stock.
A while back I used to have one and Sport Compact Car magazine actually had one as a project car so I thought awesome can just follow along and see what mods are gonna work best. Well they discovered that pretty much every bolt on mod actually made it lose hp. The only thing that gained anything was some pulleys but it pretty much just got back what was lost on the other mods. I believe they did an intake, exhaust, and headers and had there first loss of power. Then they did some suspension upgrades which did help. Basically the only way that guy is gonna get any power in that thing is FI or switching out to a 3.0L like the SVT Contour guys do but once you get into that the car isnt even worth it. I bought mine almost 10 years ago and back then it only cost about 4000 and its was in perfect shape. I believe they stopped making them around 96-97 maybe and there factory hp is under 200 if not at 200. So to answer your question this guy will probably not even get a chance to admire your tail you would be gone so fast.

sailsmen
08-20-2010, 05:47 PM
The Turbo ones were quick, but a MM is quicker. I don't know what mods are avaialble for the Turbo.

freakstatus
08-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Hmm, OK. Now I'm thinking he may have just been admiring my car and giving me a nod of approval.

He'd speed up, look back at me, then slow down and stay in my blind spot...that sort of stuff. Probably just checking out the MM.

Leadfoot281
08-20-2010, 07:15 PM
I bought a '95 GT back in '98 or so. It sure depreciated fast.

burtreynolds
08-20-2010, 07:24 PM
I had an obsession with later model Probe GT (v6 5 speed) when i was in high school, early college. Factory they will run with a factory MM, but the motor is tapped out on those. You cant get anywhere without forced induction or nitrous. I threw a little 75 shot and some tires on mine and it did a world of difference, but the 2k I had spent on NA mods before got me nowhere. The motor to swap in those is actually called a KL-ZE, it is the Japanese V6 that comes in the MX-6, 190whp vs 155whp in factory trim. I never got around to doing that but the cars themselves with a KLZE, light weight flywheel and suspension/brake mods makes a great little car to hit corners with even if it is front wheel drive.

Tell him to take it to the track and see what is up?

Mr. Man
08-20-2010, 07:32 PM
If Ford had it's way back then you'd be asking if the 1980 something Mustang(Probe)
was fast. Thank God cooler heads prevailed.

GAMike
08-20-2010, 07:53 PM
I had an 88 626 Turbo Hatch...... Nothing to look at(in fact it was pretty invisible), but would run just fine back then, and was comfortable with adjustable seats and suspension.... CT State Police used to use the MX-6 (same motor/drivetrain Coupe) as unmarked traffic enforcement vehicles...... Like Sail says, the turbo's were pretty decent.

Joe Walsh
08-20-2010, 08:03 PM
If Ford had it's way back then you'd be asking if the 1980 something Mustang(Probe)
was fast. Thank God cooler heads prevailed.

LOL...Yeah, Im remember that 'almost' fiasco!

A good buddy of mine was thinking about buying a Ford Probe or a Mazda MX-6 back in 1988.
We were sitting around drinking a few beers and I said:

"Why do you want to buy one of those FWD cars? They have a V6 and a 5 speed, but you could get a Mustang LX 5.0 with a 5 speed for the same money?"

He bought a black 1988 Mustang 5.0 LX and absolutely loved it!
That 225 HP fuelie motor would put a hurt on my 215 HP Holley carbed '85 5.0....until I got some gears and a true dual exhaust...:D

Vortex
08-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Dont know if they are fast but I read someplace stuff like fuel pumps and starter motors for Probes and Mazda MX-6's are really, really expensive (like almost Ferrari prices).

Mr. Man
08-20-2010, 10:37 PM
LOL...Yeah, Im remember that 'almost' fiasco!

A good buddy of mine was thinking about buying a Ford Probe or a Mazda MX-6 back in 1988.
We were sitting around drinking a few beers and I said:

"Why do you want to buy one of those FWD cars? They have a V6 and a 5 speed, but you could get a Mustang LX 5.0 with a 5 speed for the same money?"

He bought a black 1988 Mustang 5.0 LX and absolutely loved it!
That 225 HP fuelie motor would put a hurt on my 215 HP Holley carbed '85 5.0....until I got some gears and a true dual exhaust...:D

The Probe/Mustang fiasco must have been settled by the 1987 model year. I had an '88 GT T-top. Word was the LX's were a bit quicker as they weighed less but I think the GT's looked better.:)

Local Boy
08-21-2010, 01:07 AM
Hey Brutha...

If he is doing what you say, he is doing...He's not admiring your ride...He's calling you out...

Aloha

burtreynolds
08-21-2010, 01:39 AM
Dont know if they are fast but I read someplace stuff like fuel pumps and starter motors for Probes and Mazda MX-6's are really, really expensive (like almost Ferrari prices).

I had to pay 300.00 for a simple distributor. Install is easy, but parts are NOT cheap.

Taemian
08-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Derek, your friggin SHO could beat it.