PDA

View Full Version : OEM replacement parts

JAYSILVER04
08-26-2010, 01:56 PM
So I had a guy back in to my Marauder a few weeks back and did significant damage to the front end of my car. The front bumper needs replaced, the drivers side turn signal lamp, and one of the front fog lights. the insurance company refuses to replace the parts with OEM parts. They say they are only obligated fix it with aftermarket parts if they are available. I got the call today saying they will not use OEM parts. I told them it was unacceptable and I demand the car to be put back the way it was before their client damaged my car. They said they would do that, but would use aftermarket parts. I told them that their weren't aftermarket parts on my car before he hit me and my car needs to be put back the way it was before it was hit. They told me that i would be on the hook for the difference in the aftermarket vs. OEM parts.:mad2: Has anyone had any experience with a situation like this? I need some advice! Thanks in Advance for your input!----Jay

DeadVic
08-26-2010, 02:21 PM
http://www.insure.com/car-insurance/oem-parts-rights.html

based on this article (not saying its gosphel) it appears they can use non OEM parts.

If it were me I'd be calling my state elected Insurance Commissioner to ask some tough questions about safety etc.

thathotrodlincn
08-26-2010, 02:36 PM
I believe the situatuion vairyies by state. Virgihnia allows an insured to demant OEM parts with no penalty. Check with your insurance company for guidance.

4play
08-26-2010, 03:43 PM
aslong as it looks OEM i dont see the difference. do you have pictures of your car before the accident?

RF Overlord
08-26-2010, 04:07 PM
If it were me I'd be calling my state elected Insurance Commissioner to ask some tough questions about safety etc.Problem is, most state insurance commissioners are beholden to the insurance companies, and could give a fig about their constituents. They'll shine you on with platitudes and promises to "look into it" and you'll never hear from them again.

Not saying it's right, but like all politics, that's the way it is.

On the bright side, they won't have much luck getting an aftermarket bumper cover...I don't think there's any such thing.