PDA

View Full Version : So....

Motorhead350
09-14-2010, 09:22 AM
Back on topic that's three threads vanishing today. What was the other one? MODs do this all you want, I have nothing to do today.

MM2004
09-14-2010, 09:32 AM
Back on topic that's three threads vanishing today. What was the other one? MODs do this all you want, I have nothing to do today.

Dom,

There are 5 threads on the first page started by you that have not been 'nuked'.

You should know by now what is accepted on this board and what is not.

I'm not very busy either.

;)

Mike.

MERCMAN
09-14-2010, 09:35 AM
I was glad to see you at MV8. When you are "out and about" it means you are not starting threads :rofl:

Motorhead350
09-14-2010, 09:46 AM
So it was you.

Yup, I have a lotta time today. Waiting for places to open to make calls and my other plans got nuked. I'll be here all day.

DOOM
09-14-2010, 10:01 AM
:popcorn: :popcorn:

MERCMAN
09-14-2010, 10:25 AM
I'll be here all week,, try the veal.

Egon Spengler
09-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Did you know the word s*** came from the transportation of manure over water? It was shipped dry and could not get wet or it would combust and therefore had to "Ship High In Transit"

DOOM
09-14-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm not very busy either.

;)

Mike.

That's because you have no life and suck donkey balls! :laugh:

Blackened300a
09-14-2010, 10:37 AM
That's because you have no life and suck donkey balls! :laugh:

Kinda harsh? :confused:

CBT
09-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Did you know the word s*** came from the transportation of manure over water? It was shipped dry and could not get wet or it would combust and therefore had to "Ship High In Transit"
I call shenanigans. Why on earth would anyone want to ship manure back in the day, when animals like horses and mules and cows were everywhere and you could gather all you wanted? Even if you COULD dry it, tiny micro organisms are constantly breaking it down, which causes heat, which causes it to get wet anyway? Shenanigans!!

Motorhead350
09-14-2010, 10:39 AM

:lol:

You really are a funny guy!

DOOM
09-14-2010, 10:44 AM
tiny micro organisms are constantly breaking it down, which causes heat, which causes it to get wet anyway.!

thats what she said!!!

Blackened300a
09-14-2010, 11:03 AM
thats what she said!!!

Wow, we spent 4 days with Casey and I didn't hear him say it once. Maybe even he realized how played out and annoying it is. You however didn't get the memo. :rolleyes:

Motorhead350
09-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Wow, we spent 4 days with Casey and I didn't hear him say it once. Maybe even he realized how played out and annoying it is. You however didn't get the memo. :rolleyes:

You weren't with us at 1am, plus some firecrackers were going off. :rolleyes:

Bigdogjim
09-14-2010, 11:09 AM

I shut the one down about what a mess the apt. was when you returned home from MV-VIII. You just need to clean up your act, your a great guy in person however when you get behind a keyboard:confused::help:

Bigdogjim
09-14-2010, 11:11 AM
I call shenanigans. Why on earth would anyone want to ship manure back in the day, when animals like horses and mules and cows were everywhere and you could gather all you wanted? Even if you COULD dry it, tiny micro organisms are constantly breaking it down, which causes heat, which causes it to get wet anyway? Shenanigans!!

No this is true, ship high in transit.

DOOM
09-14-2010, 11:12 AM

Nope didn't get the memo!

Just like how you weren't in Louisville this past spring to hear everyone saying it! (even Mary) ;)

Egon Spengler
09-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Manure : In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common.
It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by product is methane gas of course. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen. Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening
After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction 'Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.
Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

PonyUP
09-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Hmmm I had no idea. There's a question you won't see on "Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader"

Motorhead350
09-14-2010, 11:22 AM
You just need to clean up your act, your a great guy in person however when you get behind a keyboard:confused::help:

Says you. Why do the mods seem to push their views down everyones throats like teachers and priests?

Where did the term s h i t l o a d come from?

a_d_a_m
09-14-2010, 11:23 AM
(Stow High In Transit)
Hahaha! I think this is the most valuable thing I've ever gleaned from one of Dom's threads!

PonyUP
09-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Hahaha! I think this is the most valuable thing I've ever gleaned from one of Dom's threads!

:lol::lol: +1

Motorhead350
09-14-2010, 11:25 AM

I taught you who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong so you think about that. :P

Blackened300a
09-14-2010, 11:26 AM
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl-s-word.htm

Analysis: Clever as all that may be, whoever came up with it doesn't know sh-t about "sh-t." According to my dictionary, the word is much older than the 1800s, appearing in its earliest form about 1,000 years ago as the Old English verb scitan. That is confirmed by lexicographer Hugh Rawson in his bawdily edifying book, Wicked Words (New York: Crown, 1989), where it is further noted that the expletive is distantly related to words like science, schedule and shield, all of which derive from the Indo-European root skei-, meaning "to cut" or "to split." You get the idea.
For most of its history "****" was spelled "shite" (and sometimes still is), but the modern, four-letter spelling of the word can be found in texts dating as far back as the mid-1700s. It most certainly did not originate as an acronym used by 19th-century sailors.
Apropos that false premise, Rawson observes that "sh-t" has long been the subject of naughty wordplay, very often based on made-up acronyms on the order of "Ship High in Transit." For example:

In the Army, officers who did not go to West Point have been known to disparage the military academy as the South Hudson Institute of Technology.... And if an angelic six-year-old asks, "Would you like to have some Sugar Honey Iced Tea?", the safest course is to pretend that you have suddenly gone stone deaf.

Paul T. Casey
09-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Why do the mods seem to push their views down everyones throats like teachers and priests?

They don't. They do, however, expect everyone to follow the rules (you accepted that part when you joined) they have set down for what they consider the proper use of their private property. If you don't like it, post your less than acceptable thoughts elsewhere. You could even start your own site and make your own rules.

Blackened300a
09-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Also on Snopes. Ship in high transit is false. The link has the word in it and I can't copy and paste so check it out yourself.

Pops
09-14-2010, 11:32 AM
They don't. They do, however, expect everyone to follow the rules (you accepted that part when you joined) they have set down for what they consider the proper use of their private property. If you don't like it, post your less than acceptable thoughts elsewhere. You could even start your own site and make your own rules.

Well said Paul!!!!!

Zack
09-14-2010, 11:35 AM
What do you expect from a site owned by senior citizens?

Motorhead350
09-14-2010, 11:39 AM
What do you expect from a site owned by senior citizens?

I hate to admit it, but I LOL'ed.

What we have is a generation gap, bottom line.