Thread: Is there a good way to bypass Atlanta

Is there a good way to bypass Atlanta

I thinking about a road trip to the tail of the dragon. The problem with this is that I have to cut across GA and every Interstate in GA goes straight through the middle of Atlanta. I'll be approaching Atlanta on I-85 N and I need to end up on I-575 N/GA State Hwy 5 N around Marietta.

And if you're solutions reeeally complicated it doesn't matter because I have a GPS in my car.

thanks for the help...and sorry about the blurry tinyness of the map. That purple squiggle is I-85 N to I-285 N to I-75 N to I-575 N

Another question whats traffic like on I-285 N at that part that outlined on the map

Quote Originally Posted by Black03Marauder View Post
    ... thanks for the help...and sorry about the blurry tinyness of the map. That purple squiggle is I-85 N to I-285 N to I-75 N to I-575 N

Another question whats traffic like on I-285 N at that part that outlined on the map
    I think that your purple squiggle of I-85N to I-285N to I-75N to I-575N is the best & most direct course of action given that any other option will entail the use of multiple secondary roads and lower speeds. Traffic is highly dependent on the day of the week and proximity to rush hour. I blew through the center of Atlanta on a Saturday last July 07 between 10-11 AM at 75 MPH -- no problem. It is all about timing. I think that I would try to avoid the 6-9 AM Weekday northbound and the 4-7 PM southbound. Maybe some locals will chime in to correct me.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Well I don't know if my input will save you any time but it is a true story. About 2 years ago I was rippin' thru that neck of the woods. There was gal in a truck (both were fairly nice looking) keeping pace with me, that's actually the only reason I noticed her, she stuck to my right side and right rearquarter panel for what seemed like a hundred miles. Anyway, we came up on the part where you had to make a choice; stay straight and head right thru Hotlanta, or break right and take the by-pass. She got beside me, honked and waved, and broke right. I was tempted to throw the speed brakes and tail her 'dog fight' style but opted not to. A few minutes and a few miles later where the bypass merges BACK onto the highway, guess who pulls right up beside me again? The nice gal in the nice truck! We both honked and waved like old buds. So when it comes to taking bypasses, I can honestly say, it doesn't really matter. And if I hadn't been heading to Chicago to see a gal who I ended up getting engaged to recently, I'd have tried to meet her. But, a couple miles up the road, I honked, waved, and at about 105-110 I couldn't see her in my rear view mirror anymore.

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

Quote Originally Posted by Bluerauder View Post
    I think that your purple squiggle of I-85N to I-285N to I-75N to I-575N is the best & most direct course of action given that any other option will entail the use of multiple secondary roads and lower speeds. Traffic is highly dependent on the day of the week and proximity to rush hour. I blew through the center of Atlanta on a Saturday last July 07 between 10-11 AM at 75 MPH -- no problem. It is all about timing. I think that I would try to avoid the 6-9 AM Weekday northbound and the 4-7 PM southbound. Maybe some locals will chime in to correct me.

Exactly, it was a weekday when I went thru and I'm 100% positive I was over 75 mph when I went thru. It was so empty I thought I messed up MY directions somehow.

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

The speed limit on I-285 is posted at 55mph. Treat it like MSRP on a dealer's lot & go 60-80, flow with the locals. Good roads and low LEO prescence = high average speed. It's why the truckers call the loop/beltway around Atlanta the Watermelon 500 -- all the produce trucks from south GA heading for the distribution centers at 90 mph.

It won't get too congested until about 5 miles to I-75. Traffic on I-75 & the first few miles of I-575 is a crapshoot. Could be 25 mph, could be 80. DO NOT THINK ABOUT GOING THROUGH DOWNTOWN, that is, I-85N to center of town & split off on I-75N. The GA DOT has the downtown section strangled to one lane each way for some long overdue construction.

Get a few miles up I-575 & you'll probably be doing 20 MPH over the limit again, unless you drive through during rush hour or when it is raining. That is when the asylum opens the gates.

So, if the weather isn't wet/icy and it isn't rush hour, you should be past Atlanta in 45 or 50 minutes.

Wave when pass exit 61 on I-85
    Michael/Bosscougar

When you are heading through Atlanta and you want to stop in the city, do not miss your turn. I did and had to drive about 25 miles to turn around. This was many years ago.

I was once told there is no way around Atlanta. When we die, no matter if we're headed to heaven or hell, we will have to go through Atlanta.
    1965 FALCON WAGON
    1967 RANCHERO
    1968 MUSTANG GT FASTBACK
    2004 300B MARAUDER TRILOGY #127
    Retired 2003 300A MARAUDER
    NEW ADDITION! 1968 Shelby GT 350

Quote Originally Posted by frdwrnch View Post
    I was once told there is no way around Atlanta. When we die, no matter if we're headed to heaven or hell, we will have to go through Atlanta.
    I have heard that too with respect to airline flights anywhere in the southeast.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Quote Originally Posted by frdwrnch View Post
    Yeah, and I think this road trip route proves it. Funnily, I ran into a guy that lives in Atlanta the day after I posted this who told me I was being a bit paranoid about traffic in ATL. He said 275 was fine so long as I wasn't on it at 8am and 5pm.

My economics teacher said that exact same thing. We have an airport here where...I kid you not...The ONLY flight out is to Atlanta. They have 15 planes to and from Atlanta.

EDIT: Oh, I should probably thank you guys for the advice...probably

Thread Information