Thread: Opinions on state of roller wear & cams

Unhappy Opinions on state of roller wear & cams

First a little backstory - Bought the car with around 90k miles 2 or so years ago. Reinhart did the SC kit hackjob early in it's life. It's been to Mo's for tuning, 3.73 rear gears, head cooling mod, tailshaft cooling mod, some repairs, etc.

Decided it was time to start replacing soft items due to wear or age. Found a ton of stuff that was routed incorrectly by Reinhart as part of the SC install. Shifter cable and low pressure PS line were rubbing on steering shaft and basically worn through, etc.

Plan was to replace radiator (leak), PS/trans cooler (leak), entire AC system (slow leak), and all easily replaced rubber hoses / vacuum lines, o-rings, etc. Had not originally planned on tearing it down this far, but poor workmanship is the gift that keeps on giving, so...

As we started tearing into it, we found a zip tie that had been caught between the upper and lower intake manifold . (Thanks again, Reinhart). That necessitated removing the upper intake. Pulling the coils we found that they were wet with oil.

In for a penny, in for a pound, we decided to pull the valve covers to see what condition the valve train is in. Immediately noticed some decent wear on the rollers. Wanted to get the opinion of some 4.6 experts on how far along the damage really is and how much life they do or don't have left in them.

That doesn't go there!

So, how bad is it?

Is it smooth?

Roller on the left looks like heat marks.

Roller on the right looks rough.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Is it smooth?

Roller on the left looks like heat marks.

Roller on the right looks rough.
    The rollers feel just as rough as they look unfortunately. Finding out it was a junkyard engine, I wouldn't be surprised if it got hot at some point. The heat tabs are intact, but that doesn't mean a whole lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are Heat Tabs?

Quote Originally Posted by crouse View Post
    What are Heat Tabs?
    Junkyards and auto parts recyclers install them on various places on used engines as a warranty condition. They melt if the engine overheats, voiding the warranty.

2024-03-01 19_24_51-07_HeatTabs_v2.pdf.jpg

Ahhhh good 'ole Reinhart Automotive!
    Haven't heard that hack's name in a lonnnng time.
    I got some of the Dennis Treatment back in 2004!
    Took him a few months after my CC was charged, to ship me the thermostat and spark plugs.
    His 'awesome' tune almost blew up my new engine.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Walsh View Post
    Ahhhh good 'ole Reinhart Automotive!
    Haven't heard that hack's name in a lonnnng time.
    I got some of the Dennis Treatment back in 2004!

Opinions on state of roller wear & cams

He did a bunch of stuff for me as well back then, including selling me an older model tuner then download cable, totaled $500. Then sent me the wrong plugs for my N/A car, super cold Denso's, then insisted they would work. Believe it or not the car actually ran better with the first 1725 tuner if anyone remembers those. Luckily my mechanic (sadly just died) improved the rear engine cooling mod by changing some of the fittings around to confirm to the back of the engine better. I've since replaced both plastic tees with metal ones, but worry about the hoses back there eventually breaking. I really don't want to have to pull the tranny to get to them. Once I went to Marty's 's tune the car ran 100% better, best mod yet.
    Last edited by Svashtar; 03-04-2024 at 06:20 PM.
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

I also had Reinhart work on my MM.
    I posted about my DR experience here.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Just add some snake oil to your synthetic oil and run it until she blows. Since those roller followers don’t spin around and around like a typical hydraulic lifter, that shouldn’t get much worse in the next 50k….

if it bothers you, pop the cam followers out with a screw driver and replace it, and or the cam.
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Thread Information