Thread: Squeal from rear brakes?

TripleTransAm Guest

Squeal from rear brakes?

Since a few months after I bought my car I've had this brief squeal (the single frequency whistle type) that was present only on cool mornings and only when the car (brakes) was stone cold. It appeared to be coming from the rear brakes. It really only used to occur on the first 2-3 braking attempts on a cool morning.

In 2004 it got to the point where it squealed a little even on warm-ish mornings. Now that it's way below freezing on a constant basis, it's much worse than a squeal... it's a multi-frequency shriek that sounds like what you'd get when you're past the wear indicators and the rivets are rubbing on the discs.

I mentioned this to the service department on Monday and they said there's nothing they can do about it. This is in my opinion... I already had to endure months of being ashamed of my ticking engine in a $49k Canadian "muscle / luxury" car, and now I have to disrupt my ultra-quiet new neighborhood with shrieking brakes at 7 am.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by TripleTransAm
    Since a few months after I bought my car I've had this brief squeal (the single frequency whistle type) that was present only on cool mornings and only when the car (brakes) was stone cold. It appeared to be coming from the rear brakes. It really only used to occur on the first 2-3 braking attempts on a cool morning.

In 2004 it got to the point where it squealed a little even on warm-ish mornings. Now that it's way below freezing on a constant basis, it's much worse than a squeal... it's a multi-frequency shriek that sounds like what you'd get when you're past the wear indicators and the rivets are rubbing on the discs.

I mentioned this to the service department on Monday and they said there's nothing they can do about it. This is in my opinion... I already had to endure months of being ashamed of my ticking engine in a $49k Canadian "muscle / luxury" car, and now I have to disrupt my ultra-quiet new neighborhood with shrieking brakes at 7 am.

Shoot the Service Manager.
    Saorsa gu Brath
    (Freedon Forever)

Si vis pacem para bellum
    (If you want peace, prepare for war)

Μολὼν λαβέ
    (Come and take them)

Stann saam of sterf allen
    (Stand together or die alone)

Audentis Fortuna Iuvat
    (Fortune Favors the Brave)

Antes morrer livres que em paz sujeitos
    (Rather die as free men than be enslaved in peace)

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants alike. It is the tree's natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

The Constitution guarantees our rights as American citizens, the 2nd Amendment protects those rights

"THE BLACK BOMBER"

TripleTransAm Guest
    Service manager's come through for me before, when I was stranded by Ford Roadside Ass-istance. Cannot resort to physical violence, must find alternate approach.

Anyone out there suffered this squealing brake situation and resolved it?

A more logical approach then.

Take off rear tire and check brake pads for wear or foreign material.

Sorry I can not be of further assistance.

Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Saorsa gu Brath
    (Freedon Forever)

Si vis pacem para bellum
    (If you want peace, prepare for war)

Μολὼν λαβέ
    (Come and take them)

Stann saam of sterf allen
    (Stand together or die alone)

Audentis Fortuna Iuvat
    (Fortune Favors the Brave)

Antes morrer livres que em paz sujeitos
    (Rather die as free men than be enslaved in peace)

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants alike. It is the tree's natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

The Constitution guarantees our rights as American citizens, the 2nd Amendment protects those rights

"THE BLACK BOMBER"

I got the same thing, on both my CV and MM. Usually when it's not too cold. Currently, at -31 I get no brake squeak, but when it's -5 or above, I do.

I'm convinced it's just rust buildup overnight, and as you say, a couple uses of the brake makes it go away. Brake dust on the wheels seems to confirm this suspicion. However, since I changed the pads and rotors on the CV this past fall, it does not ocurr with the same 'harshness' as before.

I went to NAPA, and got their good replacement pads ('United" metallic) and cheap 'Made in China' rotors. I tend to change rotors every time I change pads, and at $15 bucks each, it's cheap to do so. I also picked up something I've never tried before - an anti-glazing spray. I think it was this stuff:

http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/nc...&usrcommgrpid=

It's a spray that you put on the pads and rotors and let dry before installing. The brakes on the CV are very quiet now, no morning squeal at all.

Like Haggis said, could be forgien material, could just be age. But the above worked on my CV.
    2003 Marauder 300eh - Stock

Born: 12/03/2002
    Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Metco Control arms and Watts link.
    QA1 8 way adjustable shocks and struts.
    Addco front and rear anti-roll bars.
    Wilwood front brakes.

I can't drive 55. I'm looking forward to not being able to drive 75 ether.

Anyone out there suffered this squealing brake situation and resolved it?
    Yes, mine seemed to have started doing it on the first couple stops in the morning. Currently a little over 16,000 miles. Seems to me that it is coming from the front brake pads. Have not noticed any difference due to temperatures; but I really have not been paying attention to it from that perspective. Might be an accumulation of brake dust and such. I do find it rather "embarrassing" and also have been told in the past that some squeal is "normal" on the new type pads. I figured this was mostly
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

I have noticed that squeal on my CVPI after a long time of routine driving. After a hot run though, the squeal is gone. I suggest you gettem hot to burn off the glaze or dislodge dust or dirt.

11.98 @ 115 mph
    "Comfort, Class and Hair on Fire Performance."

Steve, ya sure it's not your kid in the back seat?
    63 1/2' Merc 406 (434ci) tri-powered "Ratsmoker"

stock93cv Guest
    My 03 (10,000 miles) has just started with the brake squeal. Going in to the dealer tomorrow and will see what they have to say about it. Very annoying noise.

Ya know - I was just noticing mine doing that same thing. More when it's colder out - first few stops I get the loud squeal from the rears. Then it goes away, then I get on the highway for 20 miles, then it comes back after the brakes have again cooled.

I have the infamous "Ford pulsing" so I am getting new brakes next spring anyway. I'll put on a decent set and solve this problem that way.

-A
    Self-importance is our greatest enemy. Think about it - what weakens us is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of our fellowmen. Our self-importance requires that we spend most of our lives offended by someone. -- Carlos Castaneda

My rear brakes squeal too. Sometimes I can shut them up by lightly riding the brake pedal.

If you change the pads you have to either get the rotors machined or replaced. Reason being the old rotor surface will only match the ripples in your old pads. You can try pulling the pads out and hitting them with some sandpaper, and using a circular pattern, sand the rotors lightly to break the glaze. Then pick up some Piggy Squeal (I believe it's Rayloc part number S-007) from NAPA, which more or less glues the pads to the calipers. Brake noise is 90% caused by the pads vibrating. Remember to also lube the sliding hardward with a good brake lube so the calipers can easily self adjust. You can also put a slight chamfer on the pads when you reinstall them to help with noise.
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    300A Built on 6/20/2002
    #1777 of 7839

stock93cv Guest
    Dealer says probable rust, or tiny rotor fragments embedded in the pads, etc., and since I am past the 12-month date of service it's not under waranty. I guess I'll be living with the squeal until it's time for new brakes.

Steve, mine tend to squeak a little bit if I don't drive it for a few days, I think it's the rust thing that happens because it goes away in a few miles. Yours, ???
    300A
    born 08-27-02
    Adjusted air in and air out.
    400+ timeslips.

When in doubt, GAS IT! This will either fix the problem, or end the suspense.

When I worked for Chevrolet back in the 80s the all-time "disc brake squeal" comeback king was the El Camino. Everybody that did a front brake job on one, and I mean everybody, had 'em come back and try to explain to the customer it was "normal" and there was no fix for it. Greg Mierze Has a good article (click here for article) containing all the tips we used and none of them worked!

Until somebody came up with Transfer Film Technology for spraying or painting on the surface of the pads. Most pads today already come with the stuff imbedded in the pad but yours might not. What it does is fill in the micro-fine surface imperfections on the rotors with aluminum or a variety of other things that stop the squeal.

Ask your SM if he will try some of the stuff if you bring it in for him. I remember getting cans of the stuff for about $10.

Thread Information