Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CHINESE engines

CHINESE engines

I was at one of the local Chevy dealers getting my 01 Impala work car fixed again and was wandering around the display area. I was looking at something called a Chevy Equinox, a smallish SUV that came out recently. The entire engine appears to be made in China! I about lost my breakfast. Now Im not talking about a rebadged Daewoo, this thing I thought was made in the US. I saw the tranny was from Japan too. God, what are we coming to?
    2005 Dodge 1500 Hemi Quadcab
    2020 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex
    I was at one of the local Chevy dealers getting my 01 Impala work car fixed again and was wandering around the display area. I was looking at something called a Chevy Equinox, a smallish SUV that came out recently. The entire engine appears to be made in China! I about lost my breakfast. Now Im not talking about a rebadged Daewoo, this thing I thought was made in the US. I saw the tranny was from Japan too. God, what are we coming to?
    The vehicle is made in Canada at the CAMI manufacturing plant in Ingersol Ontario. The facility is a joint venture between GM and Suzuki. the vehicle is the replacement to the Tracker. Its program code was is the GMT191. They are in the process of expanding the plants capability to produce a Pontiac version (GMT192) and a third version that I think will be a Suzuki to replace the Sidekick. This is the same vehicle plat form that was used on the Saturn Vue which is built at the Saturn plant in the US.
    Tim,

TheFlatlander
    1983 F100/Bronco-529ci "Flatlander Express"
    2005 F250 Lariat CC 6.0L 4X4-Charcoal Grey
    2002 F550 V10-Winnebago "Flatlander 550"
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9ltd (Two Identical)

Silver_04 Guest
    Yup, the engine is made and assembled in Commie Red China. Bet it's real fun getting replacement parts. What I can't figure out is this Equinox as mentioned is based on the Saturn Vue, but that vehicle uses a V6 from Honda. The Vue is actually quite a peppy vehicle.

But ya want to know something else...that radio that Ford is putting into all of its new cars now, it's from China too.

I could understand if the domestics were growing here and abroad in an effort to take advantage of new markets. It's just that I can't wrap my mind around all of this exported manufactuing. My bet is Eastern Europe (Russia included) will be the next place product will be coming from. Africa won't be far behind...

Sources for GM parts

You should be happy that the engines looked Chinese. Most of the GM junk in the town I live in is serviced by the worst Chevrolet dealer on the planet. In keeping with the policies of the message board, I'll not mention the name, but they do make their sales men dress in a dog costume and stand out on Route 21 waving at people.

Reasonably priced SUV. This is a 2005 model and a negative factor IMO was it has drum brakes in the rear.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

Cost.

It all comes down to cost, its truly disgusting at how cheap they can manufacture something in China. We have factories in PR, DR,Mexico, and Brazil, we can't even compete with the costs they throw at us from China. Up until now we used mainly US vendors, but our corporate purchasing has ordered we go offshore to China. So we can increase our margins without increasing the total price...by too much.

They can produce quality, you just have to sit a couple of quality assurance engineers on them 24/7.

As far as shortage of parts, thats usually caused by a failure to forecast for spare parts so they don't get made, and then you get bit by huge lead times, made worse by the boat ride from China (5-6 weeks to LA).

Anyway my .05 worth from a product development insider.

Ya know back in the day made in chine or japan was cheap and not worth buying..But today it's suppose to be better quality at a cheaper price...

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarauderMark
    Ya know back in the day made in chine or japan was cheap and not worth buying..But today it's suppose to be better quality at a cheaper price...
    Better quality? No

Cheaper price? not necessarily to the end consumer!

It's a sell out. Remember when Clinton went to China and made the deal to open trade? He said China was a huge market for US goods. Yeah right.

Walmart is probably one of the leaders in moving operations to China, and forcing the manufacturers they deal with to move operations to China.

Trade with Russia? It would have been a better bet, and possibly help them to remain on the road from communism. Russian made goods are not all that bad, and they make a good jewelled mechanical watch!

Some people think all this trade with China will turn then from communism. It hasn't so far, just given them a lot of money they didn't have before. And at what cost to us?

Well, I guess the master plan from the current political party running things is all our manufacturing jobs will be in China and we will be a nation of burger-flippers, nurses aides and door to door salesman. Someday we wont even be able to afford that Chi-Com crap.
    2005 Dodge 1500 Hemi Quadcab
    2020 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Silver_04 Guest
    Well, I guess the master plan from the current political party running things is all our manufacturing jobs will be in China and we will be a nation of burger-flippers, nurses aides and door to door salesman. Someday we wont even be able to afford that Chi-Com crap.
    So I suppose the agenda for the last political party was for us all to be sombrero wearing Wal-Mart greaters. A lot of mfg. jobs went south of the border under the "other political party" in the 80's and the early 90's when they controlled both houses of Congress. This isn't a problem isolated to the current party in power...it's got deep roots going way back. Instead, try blaming the fat cats running these big companies. For example, take JT Battenberg III, president and CEO of Delphi the worlds largest automotive supplier. He still makes ~8 million a year but oversaw the stock take a 50% plunge and huge profit losses in the three years I worked there. He somehow still has his job and guys I used to work with continue to lose jobs to Asia. No government body/political party can be blamed for nonsense like that.

BTW, Ford and GM make suppliers quote China supply chains...even if the supplier can make it for the same price or cheaper here. So when someone figures out how any political party is responsible for that...let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by MarauderMark
    The best that political prisoner/slave labor can supply!
    SOLD '03 300A Black - "805" of 7838
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Gillom Rogers: [Books is giving Gillom a shooting lesson] Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.
    John Bernard Books: First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

That 3.4L V6 in the equinox has been doing duty in the chinese buick century for a few years now. My dad lives in Beijing, and that was teh company car that he got when he first arrived. IT spent more time in teh shop than on the road. Finally bought a Honda Odyssety to drive over there....

By the way, the Chinese Car of the Year? Ford Mondeo, assembled in China......
    '15 F250 CC 4WD 6.7L PSD
    '11 CVLX
    '05 E55 AMG
    '91 350SD Turbodiesel
    '97 Land Cruiser/78 Land Cruiser

hitchhiker Guest
    I thought you red state folks would eventually get around to realizing this.

A little late.

The way I feel about it is
    Japan= great engineering and well thought out cars
    China= no engineering and just settliing on pirating existing designs. Chinas probabaly selling Equaknock-offs for half the price right now!
    03 Mercury Marauder OG
    DR performance chip
    180 degree T-stat
    Ford Motorsport 4:10s
    Jlt CAI
    Steeda Underdrive pullies
    Custom exhaust
    Zex wet Nitrous
    SS inserts
    20% back 35% front tint
    Ford rear spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by GodOSpeed
    China= no engineering and just settliing on pirating existing designs. Chinas probabaly selling Equaknock-offs for half the price right now!
    That's pretty much how Japan started out in the 50's!
    SOLD '03 300A Black - "805" of 7838
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Gillom Rogers: [Books is giving Gillom a shooting lesson] Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.
    John Bernard Books: First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information