Thread: How Much Boost on Standard Pulley????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How Much Boost on Standard Pulley????

I just wanted to share my results so far about the kit and maybe get some feedback from other members on what boost levels they are seeing with their cars.

There has been little opportunity to really test certain limits because the weather has been bad the last 3 weeks, today I did some testing and this is what I found out. Getting to 5 psi requires a minor tap on the pedal less than half-way down, getting to 9 psi is also relatively easy, but it requires pedal down 3/4 of the way down.

To get the needle past 9 it requires WOT and the engine rpms need to wind past 4000 rpms, today I had perfect safe conditions for about 15 seconds and I wound out 1st and 2nd gear to the WOT shift points (about 6100 rpms) at the 1-2 shift I was a little past the mid-point between 9 and 10 psi at the 2-3 shift the needle was resting right at 10 psi. After the 2-3 shift the boost gauge needle started to move beyond 10 but the perfect safe window was closing and I shut her down.

I have the stock gears and my rear tires are a little taller than OEM so I think you know why I had to shut her down, redline in 3rd gear is a place I do not want to be. Anyway I have 2 1/2" exhaust and shorties so I expected to have less boost than advertised because of less back pressure is supposed to decrease boost. I have the PHP airbox with stock intake tube and I wonder if my boost would have been higher if I remove the sock or is this about normal, what I should expect?
    Smokie
    12.79 @ 107 mph.
    60' 1.851 Street tires & Stock wheels.
    TIMESLIPS
    Performance Mods: Base Trilogy Kit, Exhaust, PHP Airbox.
    Visit my Garage
    Florida "The Supercharged State"

The stock air intake is restrictive. With the JLT and cold air I can easily get to 10 psi. Your results sound typical.

11.98 @ 115 mph
    "Comfort, Class and Hair on Fire Performance."

Quote Originally Posted by Defyant
    The stock air intake is restrictive. With the JLT and cold air I can easily get to 10 psi. Your results sound typical.
    Do you have OEM exhaust? I think Lidio once stated that opening up the exhaust in our cars would reduce boost because you need back pressure to create boost.

PS: Do you have a sock over your filter?
    Last edited by Smokie; 06-25-2005 at 10:56 AM.
    Smokie
    12.79 @ 107 mph.
    TIMESLIPS
    Visit my Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smokie
    Do you have OEM exhaust? I think Lidio once stated that opening up the exhaust in our cars would reduce boost because you need back pressure to create boost.

PS: Do you have a sock over your filter?
    Yeah but it smells.. couldn't help it.

Smokie,

My car before the K&N install maxed out at 9.5 PSI at 6200 rpm. [My car shifts at 6200] The K&N took it to a solid 10.0 PSI. My lower RPM boost levels are almost exactly as you described in your car.

This morning Carfixer and I completed the install of Trilogy #0087. This is a black 300A with an ASC sunroof, 8700 miles. Quite nice. This car has 4:10 gears, underdrive pulleys [now removed], 180 thermostat, and a tune that were all installed by Dennis. It now has a Lidio tune [obviously] and performs almost exactly like mine does. This car has the stock induction system right down to the paper filter, and we were seeing boost levels a hair shy of 10.0 PSI. Go figure.
    2003 Marauder 300A
    Trilogy Supercharger Serial #0054
    Installed by Carfixer 10/16/2004

Tallboy's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy
    Smokie,

My car before the K&N install maxed out at 9.5 PSI at 6200 rpm. [My car shifts at 6200] The K&N took it to a solid 10.0 PSI. My lower RPM boost levels are almost exactly as you described in your car.

This morning Carfixer and I completed the install of Trilogy #0087. This is a black 300A with an ASC sunroof, 8700 miles. Quite nice. This car has 4:10 gears, underdrive pulleys [now removed], 180 thermostat, and a tune that were all installed by Dennis. It now has a Lidio tune [obviously] and performs almost exactly like mine does. This car has the stock induction system right down to the paper filter, and we were seeing boost levels a hair shy of 10.0 PSI. Go figure.
    I think an OEM exhaust helps to build boost because back pressure is part of the equation for building boost all else being equal, the only thing I have not checked yet is what the boost pressure is without the Outerwear Sock, I keep mine on all the time and I am curious to know what effect (if any) it will have on boost.
    Smokie
    12.79 @ 107 mph.
    TIMESLIPS
    Visit my Garage

Thread Information