Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternator ??????

Alternator ??????

I was told that i can put a high output 170amp-200amp altenator in to run all the things i have in my marauder. I'm on my 3rd altenator within 1 1/2 yrs, good thing i got that warranty when i got the car. Had to take my subs out until figured out what to do, no bass and it sucks.

Have you done a wire upgrade from the alternator post to the power distribution block yet?

Are you buying OEM alternators or lifetime warranty JUNK from FLAPS?

Quote Originally Posted by Damien2003 View Post
    I was told that i can put a high output 170amp-200amp altenator in to run all the things i have in my marauder. I'm on my 3rd altenator within 1 1/2 yrs, good thing i got that warranty when i got the car. Had to take my subs out until figured out what to do, no bass and it sucks.

Had a similar problem to yours, if the alternator bearings keep going you may want to make sure your idler pulleys are in top shape as well as if you have a quality brand belt in the right length for your motor.

I just installed a NEW 250amp DB Electrical alternator (no pulley clutch). I also upgraded the stock wires (from alternator to battery, from battery to ground & from ground to engine) with 2ga wire.

Alternator:

New battery terminals:

Engine to ground wire:

Alternator to battery:

More alternator to battery & negative battery cable:

Also added a battery tender:
    Last edited by fastblackmerc; 09-24-2010 at 11:44 AM.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

250 amps in a tiny 4g case is a ticking time bomb, especially with ZERO clearance in the back of the alternator for cooling...where the most important component is located (the bridge rectifier)

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    I just installed a NEW 250amp DB Electrical alternator (no pulley clutch). I also upgraded the stock wires (from alternator to battery, from battery to ground & from ground to engine) with 2ga wire.
    Geez! So, do you use that setup to power your flux capacitor? That looks nice!
    2003 Black Mercury Marauder 300A - adopted 7/3/2010 (Built: 6/4/2002) #541 of 7093 in the Ultra-Rare Black
    Indexed NGK TR55IX plugs
    K&N Cold Air Kit added
    Tuned on Lidio's dyno 5/29/2012
    R.I.P. 2/14/2013

1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (Back on the road again as of 4-14-12!) with 1994 Crown Vic Police Interceptor PCM (yeah, it makes a difference!) • Performance Automatic AOD-E Valve Body • AFE Cold Air kit • MSD coils • Dual exhaust (with Cherry Bomb mufflers) • Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks • Performance Suspension sway bars

How to turn a K-car into a more useful Zamboni: http://youtu.be/Lb1rQF2nvWE

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

I found I get lower charging volts at idle with my DB 250 amp and get a squeel after hard acceleration. I am thinking of going back to stock.

Quote Originally Posted by tjl006 View Post
    and get a squeel after hard acceleration

My old Galant did that, pretty sure that's from the pulley not being clutched. I may also not be understanding the scenario you're doing this in though.

I found I get lower charging volts at idle with my DB 250 amp and get a squeel after hard acceleration. I am thinking of going back to stock.
    No squeal with mine and it charges at 14.2 - 14.6.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by NonaDAbove View Post
    Geez! So, do you use that setup to power your flux capacitor? That looks nice!
    Thanks!
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

I'd do the wiring upgrade first.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Man that engine bay is sweet!!!!! Props Jim on a clean setup.

Lower idle output is a common issue with many alternators that have been modified to put out more than the max OE for the design series. Shorter life is not uncommon either, if the alternator is frequently called upon to deliver it's full output.

What is the source of the alternators that are failing. Most of the ones available at you FLAPS have not been rebuilt, they have been repaired, cleaning them and only replacing the part that had failed.

NAPA does offer some 100% new alternators, not likely for our application though. The other good option is to find a good old school Mom & Pop local electrical re-builder. That clutch pulley may throw them for a loop though.

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    I'd do the wiring upgrade first.
    Wiring upgrade was done #2 welding cable. My battery is in the trunk though. Never has a problem though when I had the factory alternator.

Very nice fastblackmerc !!!
    current owner of 2004 Trilogy #45 (since 2009)

and just added the POPPAJ Silver Birch to the fleet
    (8-2010)

Yes I am hooked

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information