Thread: Fix for MM tick, tap, diesel noises

schuvwj Guest

Thumbs up Fix for MM tick, tap, diesel noises

Well I think we have an accurate fix for our MM engines ticking, tapping, and sounding like a diesel at lower rpms, (1,200 to 2,000 rpms)!

I took my MM into the local F/M dealer last week, (2/16/04). I talked to the Service Manager before they worked on her and told him that on MM.net we have had a couple of people who eliminated these sounds buy re-torqueing the cam bolts.

So the F/M dealer took her apart, over 12 hours of labor. They found most of the cam bolts were torqued incorrectly. According to the mechanic the cam bolts were either torqued too tight or too loose!

He loosened all the cam bolts and re-torqued to factory specs then put her back together.

I’ve driven her about 150 miles an guess what! No more noises!

Oh yes, FMC paid for the repair and gave me a Mustang to drive the whole week!

I would like to thank my local dealer, Mangold Ford/Mercury for going the extra mile to fix her right!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by schuvwj

I would like to thank my local dealer, Mangold Ford/Mercury for going the extra mile to fix her right!

Thanks!
    Better yet---thank him for listening to you who listened to this board membership .......most dealers probably would not have ....claiming they know more and better ......DUH!! See....It does pay off eventually to check here first.......Good persuit of your problem!!....Tom
    03' MM Black 300 A - (FOR SALE--)
    Build Date 6/25/02 - #1,987 of 7,839 for '03
    Vortech T- TRIM -Water to Air -
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    Interior Marauder Floor Shift
    All New Parts

'12 F-150 KingRanch Off Rd Pkg.
    373 Gear EcoBoost- Does What's Asked

In Memoriam....11-14-13
    He loved this site so MUCH! and the Members More!!

Rex Weinbender (SC Cheesehead)

One of the best friend a person could have

TripleTransAm Guest
    Fantastic news! Between the cylinder 7 ticking at idle and the 1200-2000 RPM cam-holder-bolts noise, we should be able to pretty much cover all possible sources of nasty noises from this motor!

Those of you complaining of knocking on startup, this may also be what you're looking for!

TripleTransAm Guest
    Came to think of something while answering another thread on 1/4-mile stuff...

I wonder if some of these clattering valvetrain components have been sapping 1/4 mile performance? You can read the other thread for details, but if the knock sensor picked up this clatter and triggered spark retard, you can bet this would kill sub-3000 RPM performance in a heartbeat.

I wonder if this reduction in valvetrain noise is partly responsible for my own improved low end response at the track last fall, in combination with the cool weather?

schuvwj Guest

Thumbs up Fix for MM tick, tap, diesel noises

Quote Originally Posted by marauderman
    Better yet---thank him for listening to you who listened to this board membership .......most dealers probably would not have ....claiming they know more and better ......DUH!! See....It does pay off eventually to check here first.......Good persuit of your problem!!....Tom

Thanks Tom!
    I guess we also need to be thankful that we have this website. There is a ton useful information to discuss, learn, and meet good people with simular hobbies.

Thanks!

schuvwj Guest

Post Fix for MM tick, tap, diesel noises

Quote Originally Posted by TripleTransAm
    Came to think of something while answering another thread on 1/4-mile stuff...

I wonder if some of these clattering valvetrain components have been sapping 1/4 mile performance? You can read the other thread for details, but if the knock sensor picked up this clatter and triggered spark retard, you can bet this would kill sub-3000 RPM performance in a heartbeat.

I wonder if this reduction in valvetrain noise is partly responsible for my own improved low end response at the track last fall, in combination with the cool weather?
    Steve, I guess I never thought the clatter of the cams/valves could affect the timing but it sounds very possible! I have not had the chance to stretch her legs yet. I'll let you if I can feel some seat of the pants difference.

Thanks Steve!

TripleTransAm Guest
    Look for an increase in 'snap' below 3000 RPM... or a slight increase in the ability to spin the tires from a complete dead stop. I reported this impression after my head replacement, and wasn't sure if it was simply a result of more break-in mileage or cooler temps.

Thread Information