Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boxing in rear control arms

Its all about the build and having fun while doing it! ! 😎
    04 twin turbo Marauder custom made by myself 😁
    3800stall freddy Brown 4stbe trans 31 spline rear
    601rwhp 592rwtq @19psi

Up Date with pictures

Here is where I am at for now. The Lower control arms I used are 1/8" thick so that made for a good weld. I am going to due the next one then start boxing in the ends with 1/8 flat bar.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    03MM 300A Build date 06/03/02 Production #446Tilogy S/C Kit#4 387RWHP 364RWTQ, Addco front and rear sway bars,Factory Spoiler,Auto,Auto Meter Gauges ,Boost,Air/Fuel,Trans. Temp. Oil and Volt. All are real working gauges now.Badgeless Grill,J Mod
    Metco D/S Loop,Boxed Lower Rear Control Arms
    New Made Upper Rear Control Arms
    Boxed Watts Link,Ford Finned Rear End Cover
    Colex Caps: Oil,Water,Enter Cooler,Power Steering,Master Cylinder and Windshield Washer
    Daniels Coil Covers and Buttons,Nitto 255/45 front
    Widen Rear Wheels with 295/45 Nitto's,Zack's Big Brakes, Rear Drilled a slotted rotors,TCE Braided brake lines,Pro Guard Skid Plate,Summit trans pan, New Exhaust.K&N Cold Air Intake,JLT Catch Can,fastblackmerc door seal plates, pedal covers and Mustang dead pedal.

Do you think the ends even need boxed? All the stress is pushing on the lower arms.

I'm also going to do this soon. Going to narrow up the arms so the center stamped area touch and do some plug welds down the inside.

Chris Stewart
    03 Marauder
    Paxton 2200
    20" wheels
    637.21rwhp
    538.59rwtq

04 DTR Son's car
    4.10, K&N CAI, Jeff tune
    Headers, underdrive pulley
    297.26 rwhp
    312rwtq

06 F-150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4
    305/55 20's

I know the ends may not need to be boxed but I think they would look better. Now remember these are 1/8" thick. I got some others that that were only about 16gage much thinner.
    03MM 300A Build date 06/03/02 Production #446Tilogy S/C Kit#4 387RWHP 364RWTQ, Addco front and rear sway bars,Factory Spoiler,Auto,Auto Meter Gauges ,Boost,Air/Fuel,Trans. Temp. Oil and Volt. All are real working gauges now.Badgeless Grill,J Mod
    Colex Caps: Oil,Water,Enter Cooler,Power Steering,Master Cylinder and Windshield Washer
    Widen Rear Wheels with 295/45 Nitto's,Zack's Big Brakes, Rear Drilled a slotted rotors,TCE Braided brake lines,Pro Guard Skid Plate,Summit trans pan, New Exhaust.K&N Cold Air Intake,JLT Catch Can,fastblackmerc door seal plates, pedal covers and Mustang dead pedal.

Kuddos on your project your going to love them. No more tail wag.
    I have changed out the rear upper & lower control arms a few times. I have used stock & Z&M. They all appear as though one of the bushings is set about 10 to12 degrees off 90. Is that the case ?
    2004 marauder black purchased new. Sold 9/16 at 297,000 miles. Still ran strong didn't burn a drop of oil.
    2003 marauder black 28,000 miles all stock. Garage Queen.
    2004 marauder red daily driver.

Looking good Bob!
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I boxed my lowers but my car is an Aero and is a triangulated 4-link.
    I boxed them in completely, pics are terrible though I had a crappy cell phone lol. Uppers are double adjustable with spherical bushings on the frame side. They will handle 1000RWHP even though they will never see that much power LMAO!

They stiffened things up quite a bit and were cheaper than paying(even though I'm pretty sure no one makes an off the shelf lower control arm for the Aeros, at least one that I am willing to pay for) for already made ones.
    Ex Panther Owner

Looks great, and you'll still have the cush rubber bushings. Which can be a good thing, depending on your preference and what you do with the car.
    Lifespeed

2004 Silver Birch Marauder 130K miles
    Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

Looks great. But grinding the welds takes a lot of the strength out of it. 1/8" thick I'm sure it's fine.

Builder Of Badassery
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Yes 1/8 is fine. I made sure that I had a small gap and the edges where beveled. so that way I get a lot of weld in the gap.

Here are the lowers. I think they turned out great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

very nice, anyone know where you can buy the Town car LIMO rear control arms?

great work Bob!
    If this hadn't been done already, guys would be begging you to make more! Still, your work on your car is the BEST.
    sent from my rotary phone using Technicolor

2004 SILVER BIRCH/BLACK PAINT
    DARK CHARCOAL NUDO LEATHER
    #400 of 997 (SOLD)

2004 CV LX SPORT
    ALL BLACK, 6 DISC, TUNED MZT (SOLD)

2004 300A MM BLACK
    1 OWNER CAR, NO OPTIONS
    DAILY DRIVER

2013 DAYTONA R/T
    SUPER TRACK PACK
    DAYTONA BLUE PEARL
    #1763 off ~2100
    NOW WITH A 392 & 3.73 posi!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    very nice, anyone know where you can buy the Town car LIMO rear control arms?
    Ummm...Don't you already own a set?

Seems I recall Steve Babcock's review of the Marauder underpinnings related that it all came from the Lincoln TC limo. He said it often, and never changed his story.

The Marauder was a parts car, taking stuff off the shelf kept costs down. The early cars, like my 1st Marauder (drove it home 31May02) had a lot of non-specific engineering numbers on them until converted over to LM numbers. I once had a "book" of parts numbers by groups that traced the numbers back through Ford. I do, clearly, recall TC suspension, as well as many CVPI parts.

Bob Mathis has been around since those days, time for y'all to clean out the garage and re...re...Purpose?

Nice job Bob, sweet!

Y'all be safe.
    Last edited by SergntMac; 02-28-2015 at 08:09 PM.

I found some from a ford dealer for about $112.00 each new. That's to much for me. If I did that I would have just gotten Metco.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information