Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: This is plain ridiculous, read this!

This is plain ridiculous, read this!

I dont ever get worked up over news, but this is plain wrong:
    http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...-92945969.html

Quote Originally Posted by BS!
    On any other day at Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Daniel Galli and his four friends would not even be noticed for wearing T-shirts with the American flag. But Cinco de Mayo is not any typical day especially on a campus with a large Mexican American student population.

Galli says he and his friends were sitting at a table during brunch break when the vice principal asked two of the boys to remove American flag bandannas that they wearing on their heads and for the others to turn their American flag T-shirts inside out. When they refused, the boys were ordered to go to the principal's office.

"They said we could wear it on any other day," Daniel Galli said, "but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."

The boys said the administrators called their T-shirts "incendiary" that would lead to fights on campus.

"They said if we tried to go back to class with our shirts not taken off, they said it was defiance and we would get suspended," Dominic Maciel, Galli's friend, said.

The boys really had no choice, and went home to avoid suspension. They say they're angry they were not allowed to express their American pride. Their parents are just as upset, calling what happened to their children, "total nonsense."

"I think it's absolutely ridiculous," Julie Fagerstrom, Maciel's mom, said. "All they were doing was displaying their patriotic nature. They're expressing their individuality."

But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.

"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July."

As for an apology, the boys and their families say, "fat chance."

"I'm not going to apologize. I did nothing wrong," Galli said. "I went along with my normal day. I might have worn an American flag, but I'm an American and I'm proud to be an American."

The five boys and their families met with a Morgan Hill Unified School District official Wednesday night. The district released a statement saying it does not agree with how Live Oak High School administrators handled this incident.

The boys will not be suspended and they were told they can go back to school Thursday. They may even wear their red, white, and blue colors again, but this time, the day after Cinco de Mayo, there will be no controversy.

Yeah, saw that, too.

PC =

2003 300B DBP
    Build date: 6/19/03
    Number 7,792 of 7,838 - 326 of 328
    Proud member of the MM "BLUES" Bros.
    Purchased: 11/10/05
    Eaton swap by ImpalaSlayer 11-09-10

Semper et in Aeternum, Mercurius.

In Memory:
    2004 DTR
    Build Date 01/27/04
    Purchased 04/04/04
    Wrecked 10/19/05, R.I.P.

Just show up with this shirt next time.
    Last edited by Motorhead350; 06-03-2010 at 07:10 AM.
    "Bye Bye, Johnny B. Goode."

Just heard it on the radio coming home.

God damn Dominick As much as I appreciate the humor it aint right to post that pic here.

This is a case of where educators input their own phobia's and fears, and then take action........

I bet the "offended" folks were only offended after the educator communicated through his handling of this incident that they should be offended.

Most of the Mexicans I know would have paid those 5 boys no mind at all.....

Some educators (and I use that term loosely) should learn how to choose their battles.

These are the situations that really irk me..... We all know people wear tee shirts /garments to make statements.... Thats why a year and half after the Presidential election, people still wear their "Yes we can" +++ shirts.

They make their statement/gloat whatever....... Its a free country, and freedom of speech needs to be protected. Regardless if you like the message or not. Educators & professers need to focus more on teaching...... Not influencing students.

Know your role........
    GAMike
    2003 Black on Charcoal 300A W/90K (RIP 7-17-08)
    5-9-09 Now Keeper of the Pristine and Ledgendary:
    Trilogy # 73 Known in Metro Atlanta as "The Banshee"
    Courtesy of Bigslim, and SidewaysCoupe
    All options that came on an 04 SB & a boatload of .......... Never mind... It would take too long.
    12.73 @ 107.9 & 1.79 60' at SSHS9

Looks like they forgot this is America. Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican observance - NOT an American one. A little lawsuit will fix this crap nicely.

Pretty soon they are going to tell me I don't have the right to stay sober on St. Patty's Day.

I'm opposed to wearing American flags as apparel when the flag isn't properly displayed. But then again, I am more conservative than most when it comes to such things.
    Self-importance is our greatest enemy. Think about it - what weakens us is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of our fellowmen. Our self-importance requires that we spend most of our lives offended by someone. -- Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by duhtroll View Post
    I'm opposed to wearing American flags as apparel when the flag isn't properly displayed. But then again, I am more conservative than most when it comes to such things.
    Exactly, the flag is not an article of clothing a chair to sit your fat stinking butt in nor a plate to eat off of.

But, the VP of that school was still wrong in saying it was because of an observance of a Mexican Holiday.
    Saorsa gu Brath
    (Freedon Forever)

Si vis pacem para bellum
    (If you want peace, prepare for war)

Μολὼν λαβέ
    (Come and take them)

Stann saam of sterf allen
    (Stand together or die alone)

Audentis Fortuna Iuvat
    (Fortune Favors the Brave)

Antes morrer livres que em paz sujeitos
    (Rather die as free men than be enslaved in peace)

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants alike. It is the tree's natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

The Constitution guarantees our rights as American citizens, the 2nd Amendment protects those rights

"THE BLACK BOMBER"

I feel the same way, but after this happened, I would be going into that school with american flag bandana, shirt, and MC Hammer pants!
    Marauderless....

Sad part is the Cinqo de Mayo is a celebration of some Mexican battle where they defeated the French, like that's a big deal.
    Last edited by Paul T. Casey; 05-06-2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: M's and N's look similar on keyboard.
    300A
    born 08-27-02
    Adjusted air in and air out.
    400+ timeslips.

When in doubt, GAS IT! This will either fix the problem, or end the suspense.

I tried to think of something funny or constructive to say on this but logic and reason has vacated my cranium after reading that.
    ---------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder BLACK
    SS inserts
    Addco sway bars
    JLT CAI
    4.10's
    MO's custom tune
    275 rwhp/303 lbs. torque

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T. Casey View Post
    Sad part is the Cinqo de Mayo is a celebration of some Mexican battle where they defeated the French, like that's a big deal.
    Shoot.... everyone's defeated the French.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Pretty soon they are going to tell me I don't have the right to stay sober on St. Patty's Day.

Agreed 100%.

Dang, I agreed with duhtroll. I'm going to step outside and check if my cats and dogs are sleeping together.
    "No one is useless if they can still be used as a bad example." ~ SSgt. Miller.

"Loud pipes lose rights."

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot281 View Post
    cats and dogs are sleeping together.
    ....Mass Hysteria!!
    Marauderless....

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information