Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Transmission flush advice

Transmission flush advice

Guys, my car is about to roll over to 78K and I haven't even had a chance to "enjoy" it.

I wanted to do a tranny flush at the ford dealer before I start having fun with the car, etc.

the last time it was changed was at 55,758 miles (sept-2012) and it was done at Jiffy Lube.

The car currently has 77,952 miles on it.

Should I be safe? The transmission shifts fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jmsa540 View Post
    Guys, my car is about to roll over to 78K and I haven't even had a chance to "enjoy" it.

I wanted to do a tranny flush at the ford dealer before I start having fun with the car, etc.

the last time it was changed was at 55,758 miles (sept-2012) and it was done at Jiffy Lube.

The car currently has 77,952 miles on it.

Should I be safe? The transmission shifts fine.
    I read jiffy lube, and then read, should i be safe?

Yep, top notch car care....you'll be fine.

22k since last service should be fine. Check the smell and color. No burnt odor and red color = OK.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Pull the pan, replace the filter and install a drain plug in the pan.
    Let the fluid drain overnight so you get the most out, or start the car for 10--15 seconds with the pan off.
    Then drain 4 quarts out every other oil change.

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    22k since last service should be fine. Check the smell and color. No burnt odor and red color = OK.
    I'm with this. If you have been easy on the car, you'll be draining fluid with tons of life left.
    Zack's drain plug is smart next time your fluid is changed.
    sent from my rotary phone using Technicolor

2004 SILVER BIRCH/BLACK PAINT
    DARK CHARCOAL NUDO LEATHER
    #400 of 997 (SOLD)

2004 CV LX SPORT
    ALL BLACK, 6 DISC, TUNED MZT (SOLD)

2004 300A MM BLACK
    1 OWNER CAR, NO OPTIONS
    DAILY DRIVER

2013 DAYTONA R/T
    SUPER TRACK PACK
    DAYTONA BLUE PEARL
    #1763 off ~2100
    NOW WITH A 392 & 3.73 posi!

Guys, thanks. I believe the 55K one was the first tranny flush ever for this car. It really does shift fine, besides the weird "hunting for gear" thing. A tune from marty can fix that!

Jiffy lube generally will be using a universal DexIII/Mercon fluid, with an additive bottle to upgrade the fluid to Mercon V. Its really not a high quality fluid and I would suggest you replace it with some quality bottled Mercon V.

The drain plug is unneeded. If you disconnect the upper transmission cooler line from the hose just below the radiator, then start the engine, the transmission pump will pump the contents of the fluid pad out through the hose(which you should point into a drain pan). You can then fill the transmission just as if it had been drained. You could do it, drive it around the block, and repeat as many times as you would like to replace the most amount of fluid.

It kinda sounds like you do not service your own vehicle - if you change your own oil you can do what I described above pretty easily. If you do not service your own vehicle I would suggest having a dealer perform a transmission service for you.

Dropping the pan and changing the filter is not really needed. The filter really is only good for filtering out squirrels and pinecones.
    I eat apples until my stomach feels much more full than its normal.

Either way will get the job done trans drain plug or removal of return trans line at rad cooler. I prefer dropping trans pan better clean out & visual inspection. Replacing a filter never hurts. Most important use Mercon V.
    2004 marauder black purchased new. Sold 9/16 at 297,000 miles. Still ran strong didn't burn a drop of oil.
    2003 marauder black 28,000 miles all stock. Garage Queen.
    2004 marauder red daily driver.

Personally I prefer dropping the pan or using a drain plug. Less chance of possibly damaging the tranny. The extra cost of a filter is not that much. You can reuse the OEM gasket.

As stated.... ONLY use MERCRON V fluid. Fluid that you add a modifier to to "make" it Mercron V is not worth it.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Many people have mis-information about changing transmission filters. For the record, Logizyme has it right.

Automatic transmissions generate the majority of their wear material in the first 10-15,000 miles from new. It is this wear material the filter is designed to trap. The ideal scenario is to change the filter once around that mileage and after that it is not necessary to change it again. The factory service manual even states that routine servicing of the filter is not required.

Having said that, it certainly doesn't hurt anything to change it more often, it just doesn't buy you anything.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Let's make an even clearer post for the less intelligent.

If you bought your car used, it is a damn good idea to drop the pan, replace the filter and install a drain plug.
    After that, intermittent fluid draining is all you will need to keep the trans in great shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Let's make an even clearer post for the less intelligent.

If you bought your car used, it is a damn good idea to drop the pan, replace the filter and install a drain plug.
    After that, intermittent fluid draining is all you will need to keep the trans in great shape.
    +1.......234
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

In my case, I bought my car with 30k miles. Had the trans serviced around 40k at the dealership i think. It has 54k now. I've been thinking of taking it back to them for another servicing, but don't want that tech driving my car now that it's Supercharged. Should I just drain what's in the pan and replace that amount with fresh fluid?
    2003 Black/Light Flint MM, PROCHARGER D1SC#30, 4.10 GEARS, REAR COOLING MOD, ZACK BIG BRAKE KIT, 3500 STALL, WIDENED REAR WHEELS.

1993 MUSTANG LX HATCH, 347 STROKER, 3.73 GEARS, TUBULAR K MEMBER, TKO 3550 TRANNY, AEROSPACE DUAL PISTON BREAKS.

Yes. It'll take just under 4 quarts.

Do that every 25-30,000 and your transmission will thank you.

and "what Zack said" in post #11
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

just checked the color, it looks pinkish, NO BROWN. smells well, like regular fluid?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information