Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slight A/C problem... or normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead350 View Post
    It takes at least 1/3 to 1/2 throttle to go into defrost mode. City driving and highway cruising is fine.

Is this still something to be concerned about? I can deal with it. Almost not worth the trouble to me.
    You've definitely got a vacuum leak in the HVAC hoses or control then, if it doesn't bother you then roll with it until it gets to the point where it does bother you.

Dominick,

You said it takes 55oz of refrigerant. That seems high unless you have rear aux ac also. If you don't and you are overcharged you are probably hitting a max high pressure condition when engine rpms go up. When it hits the max pressure the compressor will switch off until the high pressure drops below a certain point. There is a high pressure and low pressure sensor in the system. It is not the wot condition as you said it is dropping out at lower throttle positions. And if it is too low on refrigerant it will switch on and off also. Does the compressor cycle frequently at idle? If so, that can indicate a low refrigerant condition.

Wags
    "Pete, you could drop 2 tenths if you lose some weight"
    2002 Rendezvous CXL (hers)
    1968 Chevelle SS 396 convertible (not her's)
    1967 Chevelle coupe (not her's either)
    2002 Explorer Sport (not her's again)
    2002 Audi TT 225 Quattro Turbo (was daughter's, now mine. Quick little bugger)

My 95 Chevy van had a similar problem. It was a vac leak in the mechanism that controls where the air comes out of. Similar to a revolver chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    Dominick,

You said it takes 55oz of refrigerant. That seems high unless you have rear aux ac also. If you don't and you are overcharged you are probably hitting a max high pressure condition when engine rpms go up. When it hits the max pressure the compressor will switch off until the high pressure drops below a certain point. There is a high pressure and low pressure sensor in the system. It is not the wot condition as you said it is dropping out at lower throttle positions. And if it is too low on refrigerant it will switch on and off also. Does the compressor cycle frequently at idle? If so, that can indicate a low refrigerant condition.

Wags
    Upon further description of the problem the air stays cold the mode door just goes to the default defrost position because there is a vacuum leak.

Ok. According to the original post he said that the ac was "turning off" at higher rpms, but not at wot. I thought he had 2 separate issues going on (compressor switching off and blend door problem) One other thing, if it was completely down on refrigerant, don't expect it to stay full now. It's a sealed system and if it was empty, it had to leak from somewhere. Guess I don't speak "Domish".

Wags
    "Pete, you could drop 2 tenths if you lose some weight"
    2002 Rendezvous CXL (hers)
    1968 Chevelle SS 396 convertible (not her's)
    1967 Chevelle coupe (not her's either)
    2002 Explorer Sport (not her's again)
    2002 Audi TT 225 Quattro Turbo (was daughter's, now mine. Quick little bugger)

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    Guess I don't speak "Domish".

Wags
    It is hard to pick up that is for sure.

Ok, today it was not 100 outside and the A/C stayed on better. Plus, the engine temperature was a little lower. I am starting to think this was weather related, not an actual "issue", but again, I am uncertain.

I will check it the best I can soon with the carburetor cleaner trick. Even if I have to remove the dog house.
    "Bye Bye, Johnny B. Goode."

It is possible that it is in the hose leading from the engine to under the dash. However it is more likely that it is likely in the dash, either in the control panel, the hoses or the vacuum motors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information