Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear Control Arms Performance Gains

Rear Control Arms Performance Gains

I have read extensively about the benefits of upgrading the rear control arms, but I am wondering how much it will affect my ET and 60' times. Granted my 60' times are not very good, but I am working on it.

Mods:
    Trilogy 410 RWHP
    4:10 Gears
    Nitto 555s 295/45/18s on Widened Rims

Thanks in advance.

What you are forgetting is that when you turn up the wick on the Trilogy the control arms help to keep your car going straight as well as plant the rearend. A side benefit is it controls the flexing of the rearend pinion angle keeping it in line during launches.

If you have a s/c you definitely should have some type of HD control arms. Just my .02.

Charlene

DOB -5/26/03
    # 7525 of 7838 for 2003
    She is # 261 of 417 -Silver Birch

Trilogy #188
    5.0 Lidio Stroker Motor
    466 HP/ 443 TQ
    "On a conservative 93 Octane tune!"

Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum
    RIP 8-6-2014
    I love you dad!

^^^^^ What he said. ^^^^^

2003 300B DBP
    Build date: 6/19/03
    Number 7,792 of 7,838 - 326 of 328
    Proud member of the MM "BLUES" Bros.
    Purchased: 11/10/05
    Eaton swap by ImpalaSlayer 11-09-10

Semper et in Aeternum, Mercurius.

In Memory:
    2004 DTR
    Build Date 01/27/04
    Purchased 04/04/04
    Wrecked 10/19/05, R.I.P.

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Just do it! you will be very glad u did!
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

It's going to be difficult to put a number on your question. If it were possible to do a test in a lab where consistently repetitive results could be garnered then perhaps but since every run is a little different no matter your launch experience I doubt you can pin a number to better CA's.

I would do CA's in conjunction with a better Watt's link as they will work in conjunction with each other planting the rear better and lessening the torque twist(for lack of a better word) that the rear axle wants to do, both left to right and up and down when hammering the gas.

Not to toot SpartaPerformance's (MM.net vendor) horn but the CA's and Watt's links he has available are top notch and less money than the Metco's. Not sure if Heinous still makes MM parts.

Do it but DO NOT stray from OEM Shocks or something BETTER!!

I put some Monroes on that were HORRIBLE.....back to OEM's and all is well!!
    No Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderjack View Post

Care to explain? What exactly did you not like? I followed multiple members recommendations on installing my Monroe Severe Duties and the car is no less than freakin AMAZING now. When and if the rear breaks loose, it tracks straighter than it ever did.

To answer the OP, I shaved an easy .4 to .6 off my times with just the use of the Metco Rear arms. My car has always been a very consistent car, so those numbers should put you close to that. But there is a lot more than numbers to be had by upgrading and that is safety. It will track straighter than it ever did, and you will not feel the rear moving all over like I remember with the OEM's. More "predictable" if you will.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

My car is NA and my sparta control arms shaved off .2 consistently
    2003 300A
    #4916 of 7839
    N/A Bolt on's
    4:10 Gear's
    Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
    Stewart EMP Waterpump
    K&N CAI
    Sparta Control Arms
    Zack Tune
    TCE SS brakelines
    [LEFT]SS Insert's[/LEFT

So who has the best control arms, Sparta, Metco or Heinous ?

Thanks for your input

Quote Originally Posted by sd8683 View Post
    My car is NA and my sparta control arms shaved off .2 consistently
    Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Care to explain? What exactly did you not like? I followed multiple members recommendations on installing my Monroe Severe Duties and the car is no less than freakin AMAZING now. When and if the rear breaks loose, it tracks straighter than it ever did.

To answer the OP, I shaved an easy .4 to .6 off my times with just the use of the Metco Rear arms. My car has always been a very consistent car, so those numbers should put you close to that. But there is a lot more than numbers to be had by upgrading and that is safety. It will track straighter than it ever did, and you will not feel the rear moving all over like I remember with the OEM's. More "predictable" if you will.

Thanks for the input guys. As stated earlier I read up on the merits of quality aftermarket rear control arms. I was looking for some data to help sway my decision.

justbob and sd8683 provided just that. Granted it may not have proven in a lab, but proven at the track is fine by me
    Safety is my #1 reason. Having better 60' times/ETs, are a close 2nd.

The upper and lower rear control arms are one of the best mods to do when you play with your marauder Stacy. Bob is dead on on his reply, just get a set.

Quote Originally Posted by LANDY View Post
    The upper and lower rear control arms are one of the best mods to do when you play with your marauder Stacy. Bob is dead on on his reply, just get a set.
    +2 On what Landy & Bob say et al say here Stacy...... I cannot offer a 1/4 mi. testimonial improvement, but out in the highways and byways, the control arms just "plant" the azz end of the car to the pavement from a dig, or performing emergency lane change manuevers.

With the stock arms when I would change lanes at speed, the rear of the car would always wobble a little bit..... With the Metco's there is none of that.....
    GAMike
    2003 Black on Charcoal 300A W/90K (RIP 7-17-08)
    5-9-09 Now Keeper of the Pristine and Ledgendary:
    Trilogy # 73 Known in Metro Atlanta as "The Banshee"
    Courtesy of Bigslim, and SidewaysCoupe
    All options that came on an 04 SB & a boatload of .......... Never mind... It would take too long.
    12.73 @ 107.9 & 1.79 60' at SSHS9

Remember this, the first 60 feet is the whole race.

If you shave .1 off in the 60, it is worth .2 in the 1320.

The stock control arms were not made with your power and racing in mind. Something like the Metcos will help tremendously. At least that is my opinion and I am sticking with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderjack View Post

What model Monroes? I've had excellent results from the Severe Service shocks on my car, but I there's another series out there that's not as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynlow View Post
    So who has the best control arms, Sparta, Metco or Heinous ?
    Any of the above are vastly superior to the flimsy OEM CAs. Sparta's a site vendor, Metco does alot for the site, so just on that, either of those two would be my recommendation.

2003 300B DBP
    Build date: 6/19/03
    Number 7,792 of 7,838 - 326 of 328
    Proud member of the MM "BLUES" Bros.
    Purchased: 11/10/05
    Eaton swap by ImpalaSlayer 11-09-10

Semper et in Aeternum, Mercurius.

In Memory:
    2004 DTR
    Build Date 01/27/04
    Purchased 04/04/04
    Wrecked 10/19/05, R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by martyo View Post
    Remember this, the first 60 feet is the whole race.

If you shave .1 off in the 60, it is worth .2 in the 1320.
    Very true Marty. Mine were always high 2.0 / low 2.1 60's with DR's and now it is always 1.75 to supper low 1.8's. Not too mention staying in the groove is night and day easier.

What's funnier is the launches only got easier the lower the numbers went.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information