Thread: Rear Tire Wear.....

Rear Tire Wear.....

Howdy Folks....

I installed my McGard wheel locks and swapped my tires side to side.....Nothing really abnormal except the center tread on both rears are worn more than the fronts!!! We have all seen this especially on the 03 cars with lower air pressure.

I moved mine up to 38 PSI after TTA's theory on rim size and the rears being a bit large for the size rim.....I think it has helped my center wear!!

While I had the tires I put a straight edge across each rear and I could see daylight under the center tread!! I tried to take pix of each and hope y'all can see what I'm talking about??

It would seem that the treads either side of the center should be wearing now with 38 PSI.....We'll see??

Marauderjack

PS: I will attach photos next post......forgot to turn adzapper off.....
    No Marauder

Oh Well......Can't post the photos for some reason???

Will try later!

Marauderjack
    No Marauder

That cant be right. The higher the pressure the more the center should wear.
    06 300C SRT8
    03 MM Gone

Normally I would agreee but there have been several examples of people on this board having greater center wear (myself included) with lower PSI on the rears. The majority of people with 34 PSI and up report normal wear.

Someone had a theory about tires spinning at higher speeds for mostly highway driving. Lower pressure could allow the center of the tire to expand more and bow out/wear more if most of the driving is done on the highway.

I know as soon as I put my shiny shoes back on they will be going up to 35 PSI to see what happens.

-A
    Self-importance is our greatest enemy. Think about it - what weakens us is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of our fellowmen. Our self-importance requires that we spend most of our lives offended by someone. -- Carlos Castaneda

For those interested.....

My rear tires appear to have stopped wearing on the center tread with air pressure at 38-40 PSI!!!

If I check pressure while in the garage it is about 38....after driving or while in the sun...40+!!

The ride is not that bad and I can see that 20-25k is what I should get on the rears now??

The fronts still look new!!

Marauderjack

BTW.....Tire Rack ROCKS!!! When I ordered my new rears the price was $104 plus shipping.....I inquired about the $85.00 price and they honored it even though that special went off the end of February.....Nice Folks!!!
    No Marauder

For myself, I notice quite a bit of increased ride harshness just going from 34 psi (what I normally run) to 36 psi.
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    2007 Lincoln Town Car
    1993 Crown Victoria LX

Rear tires

Here is a suggestion to settle the issue of the effect of tire pressure on the shape of rear tires.

Place a steel ruler on edge against the rear tire across the threads and observe point of contact. Then either add or release air and observe the change in the point of contact.
    Place the ruler at about the 3 o'clock position while facing the wheel.
    Smokie
    12.79 @ 107 mph.
    60' 1.851 Street tires & Stock wheels.
    TIMESLIPS
    Performance Mods: Base Trilogy Kit, Exhaust, PHP Airbox.
    Visit my Garage
    Florida "The Supercharged State"

Smoke -

The theory about expanding at highway speeds requires that you do that at 70 MPH.

I don't want anyone getting hurt.

-A
    Self-importance is our greatest enemy. Think about it - what weakens us is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of our fellowmen. Our self-importance requires that we spend most of our lives offended by someone. -- Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by duhtroll
    Smoke -

The theory about expanding at highway speeds requires that you do that at 70 MPH.

-A
    So then based on that theory the people who's driving habits are mostly city driving should not be having as much center wear as those who do a large percentage of high speed driving ?
    Smokie
    12.79 @ 107 mph.
    60' 1.851 Street tires & Stock wheels.
    TIMESLIPS
    Performance Mods: Base Trilogy Kit, Exhaust, PHP Airbox.
    Visit my Garage
    Florida "The Supercharged State"

Quote Originally Posted by duhtroll
    Smoke -

-A

I don't know about you, but I can't run that fast.
    Saorsa gu Brath
    (Freedon Forever)

Si vis pacem para bellum
    (If you want peace, prepare for war)

Μολὼν λαβέ
    (Come and take them)

Stann saam of sterf allen
    (Stand together or die alone)

Audentis Fortuna Iuvat
    (Fortune Favors the Brave)

Antes morrer livres que em paz sujeitos
    (Rather die as free men than be enslaved in peace)

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants alike. It is the tree's natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

The Constitution guarantees our rights as American citizens, the 2nd Amendment protects those rights

"THE BLACK BOMBER"

Thread Information