Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ready for headers...

Ready for headers...

When I fist purchased my MM, I did away with the factory H pipe and had an X pipe installed in it's place. The guy told me that he left a 2.5" space in case I get headers. I had no idea what he was talking about then but now that I'm thinking about purchasing some, the question can I just purchase the headers by themselves or do I need the whole shabang?
    "You gotta pay to play"

Kooks and Stainlessworks both sell just the headers
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Yea I looked on Stainless Works last night and saw that they sell just the headers. I guess I'm wondering why they sell the extra stuff, is it for those who don't have a whole exhaust set up already?
    "You gotta pay to play"

Because they are in the exhaust business..makes sense to sell the whole package. alot of people don't like mix and match or having to go to a exhaust shop to have it fabbed in
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

I understand the business aspect of it but I didn't understand why someone purchase the entire thing. I thought it had something to do with the Cats or something. The mixing and matching I guess I can understand.
    "You gotta pay to play"

If you get headers, go with Stainless!

They sell parts and kits, some people want to piece together their exhaust where others want a full complete bolt-on kit, kind of like a 1-stop shop, everything you need.

With doing headers it is recommended you get a dyno tune done so you can get the full benefit of headers.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

Quote Originally Posted by The Great View Post
    When I fist purchased my MM, I did away with the factory H pipe and had an X pipe installed in it's place.
    So did you just have the H cut out and an X Pipe installed? Or did you have other custom exhaust work done at that time?

If you just had the X Pipe installed, it's only 2" from the exhaust manifolds to the inlet of the mufflers then 2-1/4" from the outlet of the muffler and back. I'd recommend either buying the entire Stainless Works system or buy the Stainless Works headers only, have them flanged, then have a shop do a custom install for you. I'd recommend 2-1/2". You could keep the 2-1/4" out. Not a lot of restriction from that point on. That's what I have. You'll also need catalytic converters. I'd recommend Magnaflow with the build in O2 sensor ports. Save a lot of time for installation.

When I fist purchased my MM, I did away with the factory H pipe and had an X pipe installed in it's place. The guy told me that he left a 2.5" space in case I get headers. I had no idea what he was talking about then but now that I'm thinking about purchasing some, the question can I just purchase the headers by themselves or do I need the whole shabang?
    This mistake will cost you. I too did my midpipes and added an X pipe, but I kept the factory bolt up location the same. The stainless works header kit is designed to bolt on.

If you get MAUCAT (headers with cats) they will not bolt up to your mid-pipes beacuse they are either 2.5" too close or 2.5" too far away - your 'helpful' installer changed the location.

You will have to have an exhaust shop cut and weld it together. Can still be done, just not as neat/clean now.
    2021 F150 XLT Super Crew short bed - no chrome! - 3.5 Ecoboost 400hp/500tq - 36 Gal tank (600 miles) - 4x4 FX4 Offroad + Max Tow - 3.55 Locker - 10 Speed - Pro Power 2kva - 24mpg @ 80 Ford is still the best.
    03 300A - Number 1727
    - Super Touring - 10k in the best upgrades - 13.8@99 N/A - SOLD
    - STAP was so much fun, loved meeting you all and racing.

It is too bad that you made the changes before getting the headers because the fitment of the headers on a stock Marauder exhaust is awesome.

If you decide you want any Stainless Works stuff, let me know. I offer killer discounts on their products.

I just got the X-Pipe on and that was it. I'm just collecting for when I'm ready to get them out on. I working on the suspension right now but I want to have them waiting because I think I'm going to do the headers last.
    "You gotta pay to play"

And I think I'm going the Stainless route, I just need to know what all I need.
    "You gotta pay to play"

And I think I'm going the Stainless route, I just need to know what all I need.
    If your X pipe does not terminate in the same exact location as stock you will need some piping and some fabrication welding skills to get the headers to fit, otherwise they are "direct connect" and fit really well.

I understand the business aspect of it but I didn't understand why someone purchase the entire thing. I thought it had something to do with the Cats or something. The mixing and matching I guess I can understand.

Because the factory system gets to be restrictive after you double the original H.P. or more.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
    "Since 2004"
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Also it's an upgrade, so it must be purchased!

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
    "Since 2004"
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information