Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kenne Bell Supercharged Marauder

One of the members here custom fabbed his own Kenne Bell set up. Look ed real clean.

I haven't heard from him (Jeff) in a while. I hope he is busy with his machine shop and making a lot of money!

Quote Originally Posted by bigslim
    Jerry will be offering a twin screw later.
    Yep, This is EXACTLY what I want, and I will wait for it to become a reality.

The best of both worlds....
    Instant low rpm BIG BLOCK Torque, great efficiencies, a bypass valve for perfect everyday manners, and an increase in boost all the way to redline!

OK...I nixed the 'gradual' comment....
    Last edited by Joe Walsh; 04-22-2006 at 07:03 AM.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

MikesMerc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zack
    Lets say Jerry Barnes or MikesMerc were to bolt a Kenne Bell on their car in place of the Eaton.
    They could throw their Nitrous in the trash and run 10's.
    For about 3500 bucks, that is the route Id be going.
    As soon as Jerry gets the Lysholm conversion kit done, this is exactly what I'll be doing Trilogy is now officially both an Eaton and Lysholm shop.

BTW, the decision is NOT just as simple as saying "why bother with the eaton when I can bolt on a lysholm." Nothing could be further from the truth.

For STREET applications, the eaton is still the best choice. It produces more boost at lower rpms and plenty enough boost for the street. The eaton carries a phenominal 100,000 mile warranty and has been found to be more reliable in OEM applications. Packaging considerations are also favored by the eaton. (Bottom line, think of all the reasons the OEMs have gone with the Eaton).

For RACING, the lysholm twin screw roxors! It gives up a little on the bottom end, but makes huge boost on the big end.

With the Lysholm comes a whole arena of other issues as well. First off, fuel issues. When your making that kind of boost you may very well need more than what the stock kit T kit comes with. Second, is a tricky by-pass development. Unlike the Eatons that have a built in by pass, the lysholms need a by-pass designed in at the kit level. Last, you are wasting your money and low end sacrifices on a lysholm if you don't crank up the boost. To do that, you better have a forged lower end.

Bottom line is that the lysholm is just a more serious peice. But, you need all the supporting goodies to go with it. Just plunking a lysholm into a T Kit without addressing other concerns is not the way to get your money's worth.

BTW, a lysholm without an intercooler GARBAGE. Regardless if they are more efficient than the roots, they are JUNK without an intercooler. The first Kenne Bell Mustang kits that came out without a by pass and inter cooler sucked azz...badly. Still way too much heat. I know from personal experience. Now, the newer kits have an inter cooler and by pass, and they rock. Any twin screw marauder without an intercooler and bypass is JUNK.
    Last edited by MikesMerc; 04-21-2006 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Walsh
    Yep, This is EXACTLY what I want, and I will wait for it to become a reality.

The best of both worlds....
    Instant low rpm BIG BLOCK Torque, great efficiencies, a bypass valve for perfect everyday manners, and a gradual increase in boost all the way to redline!
    Dude, you bolded increase, whats up with that?

Its instant on, full boost as soon as you mash the throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack
    Dude, you bolded increase, whats up with that?

Its instant on, full boost as soon as you mash the throttle.

Not really, the twin screw does give you boost immediately, but not maximum boost.

I was making a point as to why I like the twin screw S/C.

The Eaton is an excellent S/C and works great with the Marauder, it achieves maximum boost sooner than a twin screw (@3000 rpm) but then slowly looses boost from 3000 rpm up.

The Twin Screw builds boost...it does not achieve maximum boost until @4000 rpm then holds that maximum boost all the way out to 6500 rpm.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Ill go along with that, but definitely not GRADUAL increase in boost.

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyFords
    There is an '03 Cobra at our local track that is running a KB with about 22 psi and his car ran a 9.002 on nitto drag radials. The car looked absolutely stock on the outside and that was just with the KB kit.

That car FLEW!

john
    I have had two friends that did the K/B on their Cobras. Made a significant difference over the OEM Eaton. However, pushing over 600 HP they were running race gas and the driveability isn't as nice as one might like. However, the K/B is clearly a superior blower than the Eaton.
    AzMarauder
    Sierra Vista, Arizona

2003 Marauder 300A
    Black
    Trilogy Supercharger Serial # 105
    Installed 9/30/2005 - 10/6/2005

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T
    Detonator Yellow

1967 Ford Fairlane, 428CJ, 5spd, running dual quads.

Quote Originally Posted by bigslim
    Jerry will be offering a twin screw later.
    Ah.. now if I can an exchange credit on my current Eaton !
    AzMarauder
    Sierra Vista, Arizona

2003 Marauder 300A
    Black
    Trilogy Supercharger Serial # 105
    Installed 9/30/2005 - 10/6/2005

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T
    Detonator Yellow

1967 Ford Fairlane, 428CJ, 5spd, running dual quads.

MikesMerc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AzMarauder
    Ah.. now if I can an exchange credit on my current Eaton !
    LOL...I asked him about this too! He doesn't have an answer yet though I doubt he'll be able to do this. He simply doesn't have a market for the used eatons.

The real issue is the packaging changes to convert to the lysholm. Your looking at a completely redesigned the mounting plate (where the blower sits atop the intake with the intercooler inside), completely redone intlet tooling with a new integrated by pass (as the lysholms don't have a built in by-pass like the eatons), snout length and belt drive issues, and the fact that the lysholm is a taller blower meaning possible problems with hood clearance.

Then of course all the issues that go with making serious boost (fuel, tuning, and a lower end that can handle it).

I say all this as Jerry and I have talked this over quite bit. He's definitely going to try to offer the conversion kit, but everyone needs to undertstand that it won't be cheap, and it isn't for the faint of heart. Its definitely going to be for the serious racers who are willing to do all that is needed to support a race blower.

Before I consider a change, I need to find out what is the best that my stock Trilogy set-up can offer, last night in less than ideal weather I ran 12.7's on base T-Kit and street radials, it was hot. This may sound crazy but I believe with cold air 12.6 is possible with my current set-up.

Yeah, I know, it's not that fast. But I am always looking for fastest on least amount of change.
    Smokie
    12.79 @ 107 mph.
    60' 1.851 Street tires & Stock wheels.
    TIMESLIPS
    Performance Mods: Base Trilogy Kit, Exhaust, PHP Airbox.
    Visit my Garage
    Florida "The Supercharged State"

MikesMerc Guest
    Smokie,

No matter how you slice it, my friend, 12.7s in a 4400lb car IS fast!! Very fast! To be honest, any real street car that can run in the 12s is fast and a force to be reckoned with.

Congrats on the new personal best! Getting deep into the 12s is simply awesome with a Marauder.

Frankly, I'm quite sure that most folks are going to be quite happy just running the Eaton Trilogy Kit. It fits the car perfectly and offers OEM style performance, fit, finish, and reliablility. A lysholm upgrade will be overkill for most folks. I'm thinking of making the swap because that is the direction I already went with the car...more of a racer. But, IMO, the vast majority of folks that really love the OEMish feel to the Trilogy kit are going to remain very satisfied with the Eaton. Going with the lysholm will be going down a much more racing oriented path and one that requires more $$$ than most folks want to spend for racetrack only performance (cause your not going to see the benefit of the lysholm over the roots on the street at all unless you're and insane person). Many won't want to give up the better low end grunt of the roots for the street either.

Congrats again on the new record!
    Last edited by MikesMerc; 04-22-2006 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikesMerc
    Smokie,

No matter how you slice it, my friend, 12.7s in a 4400lb car IS fast!! Very fast! To be honest, any real street car that can run in the 12s is fast and a force to be reckoned with.

Congrats on the new personal best! Getting deep into the 12s is simply awesome with a Marauder.

Frankly, I'm quite sure that most folks are going to be quite happy just running the Eaton Trilogy Kit. It fits the car perfectly and offers OEM style performance, fit, finish, and reliablility. A lysholm upgrade will be overkill for most folks. I'm thinking of making the swap because that is the direction I already went with the car...more of a racer. But, IMO, the vast majority of folks that really love the OEMish feel to the Trilogy kit are going to remain very satisfied with the Eaton. Going with the lysholm will be going down a much more racing oriented path and one that requires more $$$ than most folks want to spend for racetrack only performance (cause your not going to see the benefit of the lysholm over the roots on the street at all unless you're and insane person). Many won't want to give up the better low end grunt of the roots for the street either.

Congrats again on the new record!
    Thanks Mike, I apreciate the kind words, I watch with keen interest those folks who trailblaze and share with us. I don't rule out future changes, but I am having so much fun right now with a set-up that seems not peaked yet, look forward to your adventures as you make the transition to the twin screw set-up.
    Smokie
    12.79 @ 107 mph.
    60' 1.851 Street tires & Stock wheels.
    TIMESLIPS
    Performance Mods: Base Trilogy Kit, Exhaust, PHP Airbox.
    Visit my Garage
    Florida "The Supercharged State"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information