Thread: Adjusting rear air springs

twolow Guest

Adjusting rear air springs

I have some instructions thanks to TAF but was wondering if anyone had a detailed 'how to' with pictures. I searched here and saw where some had said there was a thread of how to do it 'with pictures' but I couldn't find the exact thread.

Will soon have Eibachs on the front and will drop the back to compensate...

Quote Originally Posted by twolow
    I have some instructions thanks to TAF but was wondering if anyone had a detailed 'how to' with pictures. I searched here and saw where some had said there was a thread of how to do it 'with pictures' but I couldn't find the exact thread.

Will soon have Eibachs on the front and will drop the back to compensate...
    The adjustment is on the watts link. There's a slider you move to lower/raise the rear. This is best accomplished with the car on a raised rack like those used on alignment machines, because you crawl under the car and make the adjustment you may just have the car lower right down on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Carlson
    The adjustment is on the watts link. There's a slider you move to lower/raise the rear. This is best accomplished with the car on a raised rack like those used on alignment machines, because you crawl under the car and make the adjustment you may just have the car lower right down on you.
    I think you move the bracket to the passenger side to raise it and the driver side to lower. If you find a picture of the Metco Watts link, you will see a black bracket. There are two nuts to loosen. I forget the sizes. One is larger than the other. The smaller one is welded to the bracket. Do not over tightent this one or it will snap. Believe me, I've done it before on the OEM. The larger but is on a bolt and you will need another wrench on the other end to hold it still to loosen and tighten that end of the bracket. Move the bracket in small increments and drive it around to make sure the air bags settle. I'm guessing a 1/4 on the bracket is about an inch on the air bags.
    2001 Grand Marquis w/HPP
    BC4E Dead Pedal - Ford Billet Fuel Door - Mufflex custom 2.5" Manifold-back exhaust w/X-Pipe - Meg's 4" Marauder Tips - Metco Rear Control Arms & Watts Link - Reinhart Fuel Filter Mod - Quickor Swaybars - PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft - Dyno Pro Panther Door Sills - BF Goodrich KDW-2 245/40/19 Fronts & 285/35/19 Rears - H&R Spacers 30mm & 35MM - HP Design EVO 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 Wheels - Zexel Torsen T2-R Differential - Ford 3.73 Gears - DG Motorsports Radiator Cover - PSP tuned Excal 2 - Ford Silicone Coolant Hoses - QA1 Dual Adjustable Shocks - Car Motorsports Panther Logo UH & TL Liners - TA Performance Differential Cover - Magnaflow Cats & Mufflers - Accufab 75mm Plenum & Throttle Body - 1" Throttle Body & 1/2" Intake Spacers - AP Racing 6 Piston/13.5" Rotors Front Brake Kit - 4" CAI - Typhoon Intake Manifold - EMP Stewart Water Pump
    SuperMotors Page
    CJMF
    MotorSports North East
    15.195 @ 89.79 - 2.207 60' - 4458 lbs.

I did a complete write up and took pictures of what your doing. search for my name or PM me and Ill walk you through it

MARAUDER S/C #5 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BK_GrandMarquis
    I think you move the bracket to the passenger side to raise it and the driver side to lower. If you find a picture of the Metco Watts link, you will see a black bracket. There are two nuts to loosen. I forget the sizes. One is larger than the other. The smaller one is welded to the bracket. Do not over tightent this one or it will snap. Believe me, I've done it before on the OEM. The larger but is on a bolt and you will need another wrench on the other end to hold it still to loosen and tighten that end of the bracket. Move the bracket in small increments and drive it around to make sure the air bags settle. I'm guessing a 1/4 on the bracket is about an inch on the air bags.
    I believe Twolow was asking about a Marauder not a Grand Marquis. The Marauder only has one nut to loosen.

twolow Guest
    I will most likely be doing this in my driveway. I hope I can manage to jack it up and adjust this without the rear end crashing down on me

I think as long as I turn the switch off it will not try to adjust on me while I'm under it.

Quote Originally Posted by MARAUDER S/C #5
    I believe Twolow was asking about a Marauder not a Grand Marquis. The Marauder only has one nut to loosen.
    Didn't notice they were different on a Marauder. The Metco links are made for a Marauder but have two nuts on them. Thought the OEM would be the same.
    2001 Grand Marquis w/HPP
    BC4E Dead Pedal - Ford Billet Fuel Door - Mufflex custom 2.5" Manifold-back exhaust w/X-Pipe - Meg's 4" Marauder Tips - Metco Rear Control Arms & Watts Link - Reinhart Fuel Filter Mod - Quickor Swaybars - PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft - Dyno Pro Panther Door Sills - BF Goodrich KDW-2 245/40/19 Fronts & 285/35/19 Rears - H&R Spacers 30mm & 35MM - HP Design EVO 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 Wheels - Zexel Torsen T2-R Differential - Ford 3.73 Gears - DG Motorsports Radiator Cover - PSP tuned Excal 2 - Ford Silicone Coolant Hoses - QA1 Dual Adjustable Shocks - Car Motorsports Panther Logo UH & TL Liners - TA Performance Differential Cover - Magnaflow Cats & Mufflers - Accufab 75mm Plenum & Throttle Body - 1" Throttle Body & 1/2" Intake Spacers - AP Racing 6 Piston/13.5" Rotors Front Brake Kit - 4" CAI - Typhoon Intake Manifold - EMP Stewart Water Pump
    SuperMotors Page
    CJMF
    MotorSports North East
    15.195 @ 89.79 - 2.207 60' - 4458 lbs.

Thread Information