Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My sons first time driving the 6sp Marauder

My sons first time driving the 6sp Marauder

My 14 year old son is my mini me out of the three as he is quite the little gear head and is very mechanically inclined. He has driven my crew cab in parking lots off and on for about two years now (my daughter as well since turning 11) and both have always displayed great attention and alertness.

He's been practicing on my manual shift Yamaha Warrior in my small driveway and finally the street after a big snow storm and excelled better than I had dreamed. Yesterday I asked if he was ready to pilot the car that he has turned down a couple of times and he said sure..

I found him a nice big parking lot and switched seats. OUTSTANDING skills! I think he stalled it only twice. We spent about a little over half an hour doing various stop and goes, slow turns, more aggressive turns (simulating rush hour), slight inclines first utilizing the line lock then without, power stops, engine braking, when to engage/disengage the clutch around turns and the proper gear to be in, and always hovering the brake in a turn for the unexpected.

Being used to the truck he had quite the awakening about throttle control once he thought he was getting comfortable enough to climb to 2nd LOL That gave him the fear we all call adrenaline. Keep in mind I bought this car when he was 2 and he has had plenty of thrill rides and he has witnessed it at the track take out plenty of "fast" cars. So the intimidation I'm sure was nerve wrecking even without the blower installed.. Hell, I don't even let the kids wash the car so if he crashes...

He did a great job! If he keeps his grades C or better I already promised him I'd enroll him into a private drivers ed program immediately into his summer vacation (he turns 15 next month), he can get his permit and serve his Nazi Illinois mandated 9 month permit time, and actually have his license thirteen months from now. Let's see if he keeps his end up unlike his brother who didn't really care and was over 17 before getting his license..

I learned how to drive on grandpas brown '77 column shift F100 Explorer when I was 12 or 13 on the back roads of the Tennessee hills spending summers down there. Those were the best of times. Man I miss that old truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I Guess you are keeping the car longer than you thought. Always fun to watch your kids enjoy a car. One of my most enjoyable times was being a passenger experiencing my 17 year old daughter whip around Gingerman raceway smoother than I could.
    Steven

2004 Marauder Black, loaded
    Vortec S/C
    4.10s
    3500 PI Stall
    Kook's headers
    476.9 rwhp 385 lbs/tq
    KVR's, QA1's, M&Z control arms, rear sway bar
    Lidio tune
    2004 Suburban Dark Charcoal
    1970 W-30 442 convertible twilight Blue

Well my car is totaled. My soon to be 2 year old can't control rear wheel drive for ****. Lol but seriously good job dad!
    300A Black
    4:10 gears, Flowmaster 44's with rear cat delete, SW headers with 3 inch cats to 2.5 custom h. 3500 stall, Twisted synergy dyno tune, addco f/r , rear control arms, Novi 1200 air to air with the fixings.

Great Fathering Bob ,Now that's a DAD
    Vin: 2MEHM75V63X615175
    Build Date: 6/10/2002
    Serial#: 995 of 7839
    995 of 7093 Black

Accel coil on plugs/Autolite 104s/ K&N intake/Flowmaster 40s/Powdercoated goodys/
    LED Grille scanner/BIGCARSFOREVER Dead pedal/SCT Tune/BBK Power Plus twin blade 65mm throttle body

GOOD FOR YOU! Great job DAD!

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Awesome job! And very impressive skills! I can't even count how many times I stalled my first 5-speed manual transmission when I was learning how to drive it!

That is awesome! Sounds like you are teaching him well!

When teaching my oldest to drive, she had to learn in a 5 speed before an auto. Now she's 21 and thinks she's the best driver in the world.

Great job Bob!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2003 Black/Light Flint MM, PROCHARGER D1SC#30, 4.10 GEARS, REAR COOLING MOD, ZACK BIG BRAKE KIT, 3500 STALL, WIDENED REAR WHEELS.

1993 MUSTANG LX HATCH, 347 STROKER, 3.73 GEARS, TUBULAR K MEMBER, TKO 3550 TRANNY, AEROSPACE DUAL PISTON BREAKS.

Nice story my dad taught me when I was 12, in a 69 3/4 ton power wagon shop truck. He really liked that I took to it and did well at it. Nice job getting your kids with interest started early.

What, no video? Excellent job Bob.
    Neil
    2003 Mercury Marauder - DBP/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - BLK/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - SB/LF
    2004 Mercury Marauder - DTR/LF
    1964 Mercury Marauder - BLK/BLK

Awesome Bob!
    We just let Taylor drive Heathers SHO last weekend. She enjoyed it.

Sent from The White House on taxpayers dimes.

Great quotes!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    you were too busy getting your ass kicked by cool people because you suck and are a worthless excuse for a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    I'm going to punch you so hard between the legs your going to need a GYNA BO to fix it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Eat poo poo and die heathen.

No burnouts?

Cmon!

Teach'm young I say
    Those were the days.........

DANG THEY'RE CUTE!!!!!!
    Smile and Nod
    I love THIS bar

Question ditto

all my children learned to drive on a Trilogy Marauder, none of them have the need for speed !
    2004 Trilogy #93P 12.2@113 Built and stalled

When I was 12 years old, I started driving a Reo pick up truck we used to move horse feed and hay. (we had five horses) I lived in Monmouth county NJ before it was discovered by housing developers. By the early 1960's, many of the farm roads I drove on had been paved, and were now leading up to private homes. When I turned 17, my dad let have the 1960 Austin Healey Sprite. I drove it to school, when all my friends were either in MG-B, Triumph spitfires, or AH Sprites. It was a fun time in my life.
    After college (1969) I got married and bought a 1970 Boss 302 (still have it).

I think your son will love driving the Marauder. Worry when he wants to increase the horse power.

When I was a kid my dad used to let me steer his 1965 Sunbeam Tiger, 1971 Alf-Romeo Spider on the back roads while he controlled the gas and brake. We didn't go very fast and I can still remember him making adjustments to the wheel when I got going off track. My mom used to let me do the same thing in her Volvo 122s wagon.

I learned to drive in a 5 speed 1978 Datsun 720 pickup truck that my dad gave me because he didn't want to be bothered trying to sell it. I was glad because at 16 I didn't have that much money.

Funny Signorelli should mention an Austin- Healey Sprite. My mom has a 1959 (bugeye) project that my dad bought her years ago much to her surprise and dismay. It is still a project 30 years later as are the 1947 MG TC and the 1951 Morris Minor that sit in his barn. Anyways last time I was visiting he had the Sprite sort of uncovered and I tried to sit in it. I no fit. Tried the Morris Minor and it was roomy. That night I started to think about pulling the drive line out of the Morris and dropping a V-8 into it.

Bob your kids will remember fondly in the future of the driving experience you gave them. Probably make a post like this one on the flying car forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information