Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Home Buying Advice

Home Buying Advice

Well the time has come for my family to buy a home. The place I'm currently renting is going up ~5.5% on rent, putting the rent out of my "comfortable" payment. After doing weeks of research on the housing market, interest rates, and possible other rental properties, we have come to the decision that buying a house would be a better choice. My lease is up the first week of November and would like to close on a house mid to late October at the very latest. And for this reason I will not be able to attend MV this year. Have to keep a tight squeeze on the finances till I've closed on a home.

I'll be looking at around 15 houses this week alone, not including the 4 I've already seen.

So my question to you guys (and gals) are what tips do you guys have for a first time home buyer??

I don't care if you just bought your own home, been living in one for 50 years, or you currently rent, all advice will be read and taken to heart. This is one of the biggest financial decisions a person can make, so I would like to go into it with full clips and extra grenades!!

For those interested I will be using a VA home loan with 100% financing and no requirement for mortgage insurance!!

Please leave the "I think your too young" comments at home. I've done and seen alot more than people twice my age.

Thanks for looking peeps!!!!

I do have 2 children, 4&5, which is the reason alot of homes got kicked to the curb. The schools sucked ass!!
    Last edited by jwibbity; 08-06-2014 at 07:21 PM.

Congrats on the 1st home! My only advice is to interview your realtor or get a good referral before hiring them
    Last edited by Mebot; 08-06-2014 at 07:08 PM.
    2003 Trilogy Supercharged Marauder

+1 on get to know the realtor before hand. Also, IMO, these are 7 of the many things that I recommend to pay close attention to , and ask, before you buy. 1 - check the foundation very closely, also look at the foundations of the neighboring homes and the topography of the area. Foundation issues are the most expensive repair. 2 - check the roof, ask if it has been replaced, if so then when was it done, and to what extent. 3 - take a look at the breaker box, all outlets and switches, etc. That will give you a good idea on the shape of the electrical system in the house. 4 - look at all of the plumbing that you can see.....check the date on the water heater, look at the drain lines and water lines, etc. If it all looks good, no worries. 5 - look at the rest of the homes in the area, get an idea of how much you think they all value at, to make sure you don't overpay. No matter how many upgrades and updates you do, if you ever sell, it will not sell for much over what the neighboring homes are worth. 6 - make sure you aren't in a flood plain, if so, ask if the home has ever flooded, and if so, when. 7 - ask the realtor a ton of questions, the only stupid question is the question not asked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bought 09/10/2012
    2004 DTR Marauder

K&N CAI, Rear Cat Delete, Flowmaster 40's, Meg's 4" res delete tips, Pioneer DD unit, Kicker door and deck speakers, Lotek triple with Autometer gauges, Line Locks, J-MOD

Quote Originally Posted by JBFTech View Post
    +1 on get to know the realtor before hand. Also, IMO, these are 7 of the many things that I recommend to pay close attention to , and ask, before you buy. 1 - check the foundation very closely, also look at the foundations of the neighboring homes and the topography of the area. Foundation issues are the most expensive repair. 2 - check the roof, ask if it has been replaced, if so then when was it done, and to what extent. 3 - take a look at the breaker box, all outlets and switches, etc. That will give you a good idea on the shape of the electrical system in the house. 4 - look at all of the plumbing that you can see.....check the date on the water heater, look at the drain lines and water lines, etc. If it all looks good, no worries. 5 - look at the rest of the homes in the area, get an idea of how much you think they all value at, to make sure you don't overpay. No matter how many upgrades and updates you do, if you ever sell, it will not sell for much over what the neighboring homes are worth. 6 - make sure you aren't in a flood plain, if so, ask if the home has ever flooded, and if so, when. 7 - ask the realtor a ton of questions, the only stupid question is the question not asked!
    Be on the lookout for all this stuff while you're shopping, but when you finally make an offer make sure that the sale is contingent on an engineering report.
    This is absolutely worth the money; these guys are experts and they will check for stuff that you would never dream of.
    "Moonbeam McSwine"

2003 DBP, fresh off an Iowa corn farm.
    "Pretty much stock, except for the blower."

"Devil Girl"

2004 DTR w/ Light Flint
    Every factory option - Moonroof, all that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mebot View Post
    Congrats on the 1st home! My only advice is to interview your realtor or get a good referral before hiring them
    Our current realtor is pretty legit to me. No and tells me about the houses and neighborhoods straight up. He actually helped me narrow down the houses because of schooling for the kids. They were pretty *****y schools.

Quote Originally Posted by JBFTech View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by cat in the hat View Post
    Be on the lookout for all this stuff while you're shopping, but when you finally make an offer make sure that the sale is contingent on an engineering report.
    This is absolutely worth the money; these guys are experts and they will check for stuff that you would never dream of.

The VA requires that their own inspector comes out to go to whichever house you put a contract on and from what I've read and heard the VA inspection is one of the most thorough home inspections since they back part of the loan.
    Last edited by jwibbity; 08-06-2014 at 07:30 PM.

When my wife and I bought we looked at school districts. We knew we wanted a family so a home within a good public school district was big for us.

Also, as we visited homes I took digital pictures of everything! After a while they all started to look alike so be pics helped us identify the pro/cons of each house.
    Previous
    2003 DPB 232 fo 328.

Quote Originally Posted by gdsqdcr View Post
    When my wife and I bought we looked at school districts. We knew we wanted a family so a home within a good public school district was big for us.

Also, as we visited homes I took digital pictures of everything! After a while they all started to look alike so be pics helped us identify the pro/cons of each house.
    The camera is a pretty good idea actually. So that way you can take pictures of the stuff not shown on the listings

Quote Originally Posted by jwibbity View Post
    The VA requires that their own inpsector comes out to go to whichever house you put a contract on and from what I've read and heard the VA inspection is one of the most thouroguh home inspections since they back part of the loan.
    Good deal, and saves you some money, too - home inspections here cost about $300.
    "Moonbeam McSwine"

2003 DBP, fresh off an Iowa corn farm.
    "Pretty much stock, except for the blower."

"Devil Girl"

2004 DTR w/ Light Flint
    Every factory option - Moonroof, all that stuff.

There's a ton of different factors that will apply to each and every home-buyer.

Are you in a good school district (if you have kids)

What's the resell market? Any forecloses in the neighborhood?

How's the commute? Traffic?

Near to any shopping malls, theaters, or grocery stores for convenience? Or do you like to be far and away from everyone?

What side is the house facing? Kinda dumb question, but for me I hate the morning sun, so I wanted a master bedroom facing west.

I also read somewhere that it's a good idea to check your house out at different times of day ( and seasons too if possible). This will help to determine the commute around your new house at different times, the lighting, the neighborhood, etc....

Various things to consider, but above all, ask yourself what you want in a new house

Also I don't know what your timeline is, but when Michelle and I bought our first place in Virginia, we both knew it wasn't the "forever" home. It fit us at our stage in life.

Looking back, it was the smart decision. We knew what we liked and what we didn't. So moral is, give yourself a timeline. If this is the be-all, end-all, retiring here after 30+ years, then maybe scrutinize a little more

If, on the other hand, you're looking at this as a 3-5 yr house, keep my comments above in consideration, as well as everyone else who posts in this thread.

There's a ton of different factors that will apply to each and every home-buyer.

Are you in a good school district (if you have kids)

What's the resell market? Any forecloses in the neighborhood?

How's the commute? Traffic?

Near to any shopping malls, theaters, or grocery stores for convenience? Or do you like to be far and away from everyone?

What side is the house facing? Kinda dumb question, but for me I hate the morning sun, so I wanted a master bedroom facing west.

I also read somewhere that it's a good idea to check your house out at different times of day ( and seasons too if possible). This will help to determine the commute around your new house at different times, the lighting, the neighborhood, etc....

Various things to consider, but above all, ask yourself what you want in a new house
    Will keep all in mind, thanks!

Also I don't know what your timeline is, but when Michelle and I bought our first place in Virginia, we both knew it wasn't the "forever" home. It fit us at our stage in life.

Looking back, it was the smart decision. We knew what we liked and what we didn't. So moral is, give yourself a timeline. If this is the be-all, end-all, retiring here after 30+ years, then maybe scrutinize a little more

If, on the other hand, you're looking at this as a 3-5 yr house, keep my comments above in consideration, as well as everyone else who posts in this thread.
    My wife and I both agree this wont be our "retirement" house but I would like to keep it as long as I can. hopefully close to 10 yrs. or until the kids gets to high school. Thats when I'll consider buying another home.

Blog Entries
    Commute to / from the house same as you will when you live there. Also drive around at night around your bedtime/wake up time weekday and weekend with the windows in your car rolled down.

If your cash flow is tite look into a home warranty, but there are warranties and there are warrantless.

Also get a quote on home owners and Flood insurance.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Quote Originally Posted by jwibbity View Post
    Will keep all in mind, thanks!

My wife and I both agree this wont be our "retirement" house but I would like to keep it as long as I can. hopefully close to 10 yrs. or until the kids gets to high school. Thats when I'll consider buying another home.
    You have kids. Good to know. Suggest looking into school districts for them and if it's not good, send them to Catholic school.

You and the wife should first sit down and make a list of you are each looking for in a house. Then compare notes and go from there. You need a plan of attack. Don't just start looking at houses. Know what you want, you are going to live there for a while.
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

Blog Entries
    You can obtain a lot of data from the US Census.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump