Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tires

Yes, I have widened OE wheels. The new Hankooks are rubbing much harder (and more often) than the Nitto 555s I just replaced. The 555s rarely touched.
    The car is no longer a DD and doesnt see heavy use, other than my heavy right foot.
    Other than that, I like the new Hankooks. They are much quieter and smoother than the Nittos. I havent stressed them hard yet, but the trade of ultimate grip for more comfort is well worth it for me.
    Last edited by Windsor58; 09-29-2016 at 06:40 AM.
    Rice. It's what's for dinner...

04 Marauder, black, supercharged
    03 Mustang Cobra convertible, sonic blue, supercharged by Ford
    95 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, 351, green/tan
    85 Saleen Mustang, black

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor58 View Post
    Yes, I have widened OE wheels. The new Hankooks are rubbing much harder (and more often) than the Nitto 555s I just replaced. The 555s rarely touched.
    Other than that, I like the new Hankooks. They are much quieter and smoother than the Nittos. I havent stressed them hard yet, but the trade of ultimate grip for more comfort is well worth it for me.
    I have Weldcraft widened rears, 10" I think. No rubbing issues at all. I have stock wheels up front with the TCE +1 kit so there is a 1/16" spacer.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Summit racing has numerous slip on spacers from mr gasket, gorilla auto, billet specialties, etc..from .125 and up..see what you need and maybe get some .125, or 5mm (.197) or .250 thick. plenty of stud length for lugs. my car has had .25 for like 9-10 years. no issues.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

As our cars get older getting matching front and rear sizes is becoming more difficult. I have run the Firestone Wide Oval AS on both Marauders for the past 4 years with little issues. Great traction in wet and dry, relatively quiet when they wear, etc. However, as of about right now the tire is discontinued. That usually is not a big deal but the tire that is taking it over the Firehawk AS is only available in the front 235/50 size, but not the rear 245/55 size. So needless to say I just snagged another pair of rears for the DBP.

With that being said I have done research on many other brands and there is maybe 3 or 4 manufacturers that offer a matching set. I even searched 255/55 and I think found one more off brand. It looks like in the years to come I will have to bite the bullet and buy something on the outside of what my company offers.

Orrrrrr just go widened wheels and forget it

PS- I do not understand why Firestone would drop the 245/55 size it is OEM on the newer Camaro's?
    Neil
    2003 Mercury Marauder - DBP/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - BLK/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - SB/LF
    2004 Mercury Marauder - DTR/LF
    1964 Mercury Marauder - BLK/BLK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information