Thread: Time to upgrade

Time to upgrade

Prior to cutting the springs on the MM it had that limp lean to the rear driver side. I though it was a coil problem so I didn't sweat it knowing I was going to one day lower the car. Flash forward I used a completely different set of coils to cut and After cutting them the car did lower but still has that lean.

So now I'm wondering what could it be? The rear shock on the rear driver? The front strut on the passenger side? The airbag on the rear driver?

I'm thinking about changing out the front struts and rear shocks. They have 180k on them so changing them won't be a "for no reason" thing. Plus some say I should change the front struts due to cutting the spring. But what's a good brand/model strut to go with? I want something performance but not rock solid stiff.

And for the rear???

I'm running KYB on the front with Eibach springs and love it. I'm not sure what's on the rear, but can check tomorrow night if need be.

Shocks could be the issue, but i'm wondering if you're not having some sort of air bag problem. Isn't there a sensor for each bag? I wonder if adjusting it up would fix your lean.

2004 SB, Born 8/26/2003, Adopted 5/14/2013. #145 of 3214 and #51 of 997 in SB -Built to be blown but still N/A!!
    Proud Carolina Marauder and Silver Birch Society member
    2001 F350 Oil Burner- tow pig
    2007 P71- daily hooptie

my car is 1/4 to 1/2 low on the drivers side as well. I've actually seen it on a few MArauders. Is there a "balance" for the air bags. I adjusted the ride height a little higher in back and it helped a lot. I don't think it is a shock/strut. I have new KYB in rear.

Signed,

ILean....

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Quote Originally Posted by fireandice9008 View Post
    I'm running KYB on the front with Eibach springs and love it. I'm not sure what's on the rear, but can check tomorrow night if need be.

Shocks could be the issue, but i'm wondering if you're not having some sort of air bag problem. Isn't there a sensor for each bag? I wonder if adjusting it up would fix your lean.
    Are they adjustable on the front? And if I'm not mistaken the rear bags run off of one valve system they aren't separate so pulling the plug will deflate both.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Marauder View Post
    my car is 1/4 to 1/2 low on the drivers side as well. I've actually seen it on a few MArauders. Is there a "balance" for the air bags. I adjusted the ride height a little higher in back and it helped a lot. I don't think it is a shock/strut. I have new KYB in rear.

Signed,

ILean....
    I just lowered my car so I don't need to go higher lol. I've noticed a few lean too but I don't like it it's noticeable and ugly to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Blk04MM View Post
    Are they adjustable on the front? And if I'm not mistaken the rear bags run off of one valve system they aren't separate so pulling the plug will deflate both.
    I honestly don't know, and would hate to steer you wrong. Definitely the down side to not doing the mods myself after I bought the car.

If there's some way to check, i'll be more than happy to look at my setup for you.

2004 SB, Born 8/26/2003, Adopted 5/14/2013. #145 of 3214 and #51 of 997 in SB -Built to be blown but still N/A!!
    Proud Carolina Marauder and Silver Birch Society member
    2001 F350 Oil Burner- tow pig
    2007 P71- daily hooptie

The air bags each have their own solenoid. If the suspension raises or lowers while the car is sitting on an uneven surface the unequal air volume will be captured in each air bag and held there until the next air suspension adjustment. Temporary, of course. But if your driveway or garage isn't level this can cause an odd effect.
    Lifespeed

2004 Silver Birch Marauder 130K miles
    Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

The bags share air pressure.

Possibly shocks, but one side would have to be pretty strong and the other weak.

More likly an air bag that's a bit more worn/stretched than the other.

Otherwise something is seriously bent or serious uneven weight distribuition in the trunk. But I think you would have figured that out by now if either was the case.
    I eat apples until my stomach feels much more full than its normal.

Thread Information