Thread: Oil Filter Stand Gasket Replacement

Oil Filter Stand Gasket Replacement

Howdy all,

After JACook's excellent EATC fix which saved me over $700, I felt compelled to contribute. I am always reading through the posts here but haven't had much to contribute over the years as I've been pretty lucky so far with 82,000 miles on an 03 300B Silver Birch. Other than a total A/C system replacement around 60,000, I haven't had to do anything except replace tires (too often) and change fluids.

For anyone who's experiencing oil 'incontinence' seepage issues from the oil filter area, and after verifying that it's not the filter or filter gasket itself, it's quite possible that it could be the filter stand gasket, where the filter stand attaches to the block. I discovered a leak here around 80,000 miles and after verifying that the filter itself wasn't leaking, I proceeded to tighten the allen-head plug beneath the filter as this has helped a few people I hear. Still, I pinpointed the leak to the gasket.

This project looked like it was going to be a nightmare due to restricted access, but it turned out to be quite simple. All I needed was a 13mm socket with a few long extensions. Everything is accessible from underneath.

The oil filter stand shares a gasket with a coolant passageway, so beware before you swing a wrench at it that you will be draining the block, so take the necessary precautions to collect the coolant and keep it away from the critters. You'll also want to have some new coolant on hand, my particular Marauder used the "premium gold" coolant which I needed to get from the dealer.

The gasket itself is widely available, I used a Fel-Pro #70801 "Oil Filter Adapter". It should be noted that while you're in there, you may want to consider a remote oil filter setup, and there is quite a bit of information on here available for those. For those who decided to keep the stock location, Ford does make a "shield" that snaps into place to help direct the oil flow when changing the oil filter. The part number is available on here as well. I ordered one today and will report once it arrives.

Now the fun begins:

Lift the car and place jackstands in the proper places. Remove the oil filter and clean up the mess the best you can. The best access for this procedure is from beneath, so be sure you have a good amount of clearance, a flashlight, and something like a 5-gal bucket to collect the flood of coolant you'll have once you get to work.

Disconnect the oil pressure switch (the white harness beneath the oil filter).

There are 4 13mm bolts, the lower-most is the most obvious. If you look up, you'll see three more clustered around the coolant hose adapter. Work them one at a time and be ready for block's coolant to rain down. Collect that and dispose of it properly (or if you're so inclined, you may be able to reuse it, though I personally felt better replenishing it with new coolant).

Once the bolts are all removed, the adapter piece will fall out of place and you'll be able to remove the old gasket. You will probably notice seepage between the two oil passageways.

Be sure to clean the two mating surfaces. Mine weren't too bad, I used alcohol swabs to clean the area until I was satisfied. I then wiped it down with a lint-free cloth.

Positioning the new gasket can be troublesome. I positioned it atop the oil filter stand and ran one bolt through it to keep it in position. I then pressed the entire piece up against the block and began to run each bolt by hand to start. This may require further repositioning of the gasket, but eventually with two bolts through it, it will position properly.

Proceed to tighten the bolts in a cross-pattern, noting that cleaning the bolts first helped with the amount of torque required to tighten them.

I do not have the torque specification, so if anybody has access to that, please post. I was able to tighten to a torque that I felt comfortable with, but the with proper torque specification, I will get back beneath there and make sure all is good and proper.

Reinstall the oil filter (if it is reusable, in my case, I was able to reuse it because it had less than 100 miles on it). You'll want to change the oil soon after this procedure anyway, just in case a small amount of coolant may have cross-contaminated the oil as it drained.

Re-insert the oil pressure switch harness into the switch... or if you're so inclined, put a "real" oil pressure gauge in.

Open the filler cap on the cross coolant tube on the top of the engine. Add about 2 liters of diluted coolant, then start the car, then proceed to add an additional 2 liters while running the heater at 90 degrees (to purge air out of the heater core and block). The cooling system may bubble up, that's good. Once you're satisfied with the coolant level, replace the cap.

Be easy on her for the first while, check periodically to make sure all is well underneath and make sure she doesn't overheat.

Plan an oil change in the near future, and you should be good to go.

I plan to post some pictures of this procedure once I figure out how to do so.

If this helps one person save one oil drop on his or her driveway, I'll be happy. And by all means, correct me if I've understated or did something wrong.

I hope everybody's keeping it classy and stylish, just like our cars.

-Pete
    Last edited by PeteSzerszen; 06-06-2009 at 05:57 PM.

...And then you'll want to check your coolant level again periodically. A week later, I had to burp the system again to get rid of an air bubble or two. It took nearly an additional 2 liters of coolant to top it fully off. Keep an eye on your temp gauge and you'll be fine.

Great write up! Should go in the FAQ section. It looks harder than it is, and the writeup makes it eaiser. I had to do it on the wife's 300A at 119,000 miles a few months ago. It started as a small drop of oil on the ground. Don't put this off for a while as I did. One day her car wouldn't start, dead battery. Wouldn't jump either. Had it towed home and tested and replaced the battery. It was a blessing it wouldn't start in the field because once I put the new battery in and started it, I saw a small stream of oil coming out from the filter housing. If I had been able to jump it and have her drive it home across town it would have pumped out all the oil. Bye, Bye engine. So if you see the problem starting, don't delay fixing it. New gasket, oil change, and new coolant and good as new.

My brother's 5.4 Expedition started doing the same thing, and it takes the same gasket.
    His: Blue w/Light Flint Born 02/05/03 (Wednesday)
    6674 of 7838, Color sequence 102 of 327

1 of 111 Without Heated Seats
    6 CD Changer in Trunk
    Locking Lugs
    Trunk Organizer
    Real Oil Press Guage w/MM Face
    Marauder Side Emblems
    Rear Bumper Inserts

Nephews: Blue w/Light Flint
    Born 02/05/03
    6673 of 7838, 101 of 327 Blues 1 of 111 Without Heated Seats
    Cars purchased 7 years apart, but are only 20 VIN numbers apart. Sequential units on the assembly line.

Hers: Black 300A w/Charcoal Born 06/25/02 (Tuesday)
    2011 of 7838
    Locking Lugs
    Trunk Organizer
    Real Oil Press Guage w/MM Face
    Factory Alarm
    Marauder Side Emblems
    Rear Bumper Inserts

#4 (Pound Rescue Marauder) 2003 DBP/Light Flint
    120 of 328 DBP 1 of 217 with heated seats.
    6705 of 7838 2003's
    Built Friday 02-07-2003
    Bought 09-10-2012

#5 2003 DBP/Light Flint
    136 of 327 Blues 1 of 111 W/O Heated Seats
    6741 of 7838 2003's
    Built Tuesday 02-11-2003
    Bought 05-06-14

Awesome write-up and felt compelled to bump and add two tips, as I just completed it on the '04 DTR:

Quote Originally Posted by PeteSzerszen View Post
    Be sure to clean the two mating surfaces. Mine weren't too bad, I used alcohol swabs to clean the area until I was satisfied. I then wiped it down with a lint-free cloth.
    I used a flat razor blade to gently remove the old gunk, then sprayed mine with Brakleen, wiped with a rag, and then sprayed again and let it dry while I put the drain plug back in the oil pan.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteSzerszen View Post
    Proceed to tighten the bolts in a cross-pattern
    But make sure you don't pinch the oil pressure sensor wire underneath the bolt head. I had the damn thing positioned and wondered why it wasn't torquing down. Due to the limited visibility, I'd inadvertently made this mistake.
    '03 Marauder | '91 Country Squire | '18 Flex Ecoboost | '92 Shadow VT1100
    former Panthers: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '04 CVLX, '03 SAP P71, '10 P7B
    CLICK HERE and have your Marauder's COA info added to the database!!! | 2003 list ||| 2004 list
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.

Great write up, I have to tackle this project this weekend
    MM Production Sequence Number 406 of 3214 2004 Silver Birch #147 of 993 (Sold 6/5/15)

Other toys:
    -2015 Dodge Charger RT Plus, Phantom black pearl, prl/blk lthr, 5.7 MDS Hemi, on order/D1, build date 6/20/15
    -1996 Chevy impala SS, very fast car, DCM w/moonroof
    -2003 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond Pearl
    -1999 Cadillac Seville STS, Sterling Silver (Sold)
    -2010 Dodge Charger Pursuit, Hemi, marked patrol take home

See my caveats above; may make it easier on you.

Also, I did not require a swivel socket.
    '03 Marauder | '91 Country Squire | '18 Flex Ecoboost | '92 Shadow VT1100
    former Panthers: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '04 CVLX, '03 SAP P71, '10 P7B
    CLICK HERE and have your Marauder's COA info added to the database!!! | 2003 list ||| 2004 list
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.

I usually put a stud in the block at the top hole for the adaptor on all my mod motors.
    Easier to locate the gasket/part when installing.
    Ex Panther Owner

Don't forget to lift the engine! LOL

Builder Of Badassery
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

had this same issue with a 00 mgm and I just changed my oil yesterday and noticed the same issue luckily I knew where to get the parts and now I have to wait til next oil change as I put royal purple in and didn't have time to get something cheaper since I had to goto work but anyways good write up..also carquest has the same part under this part number B31584
    2004 90k #924 of 1237 sequence #2572 Black E3 sparkplugs accel coil packs 140034-8 trans-dapt throttle body spacer Mmr manifold spacer cold air intake superchips Steeda underdive pulleys xcal3 programmer stock other then that

Thread Information