Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reische 170* T-stat - Test Results

Reische 170* T-stat - Test Results

I installed the Reische 170* unit in the car this past weekend. I had considered goin with a cooler t-stat for a while and finally pulled the trigger. I also had Marty at Mo's re-tune for the change. Thanks Marty!

I decided to do some data logging with the SCT LiveLink software I have along with my XCal2 to see where the coolant temps were after the install. Below are some of the results.

----------------------

Test conditions: 18 minute city drive, 9 miles of stop and go traffic, speeds ranging from 35-55 mph when moving, outside temperature was 84*. Coolant/water mix is around 35/65 or 40/60. No water wetter.

Ambient temps: 80-84*

Coolant temp max: 196* (sitting in park at idle for 20 seconds after the trip)

Coolant temp max when moving at constant speed: 186*

Average coolant temp after reaching 170*: Around 182*-185*

-----------------------

This was just a rough test. Nothing fancy or detailed. This is also my first time using LiveLink, so forgive me if I'm leaving anything out. Just wanted to show some results down here in the Florida heat.

I will be doing some more testing today to see how the temps are at higher speeds for a bit longer of a drive.

Feel free to ask questions or leave comments.
    Last edited by HotRaud90; 10-06-2015 at 08:01 PM. Reason: typos
    2003 Black 300A
    Adopted: 4/26/14

Mods:
    Mo's Tune - K&N CAI - 4.10 FOMOCO gears - Reische 170* T-stat - NGK TR6 Plugs - Flowmaster 40s - MuscleMerc's 3" Fuel Filter Mod - Addco Front and Rear Sway Bars - TCE SS Brake Lines - Cooper RS3-G1 - Factory Spoiler - SS Bumper Inserts

Either the fan speeds are off or you need to clean out the radiator with a hose.
    That T-Stat should never allow temps to get that high from my personal experience

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Either the fan speeds are off or you need to clean out the radiator with a hose.
    That T-Stat should never allow temps to get that high from my personal experience
    What he said^^^^^

I just installed the same t-stat, had Martyo change the tune according Reische's recommendations and I have seen my temp, measured via Scangauge II, go over 178 degrees.

"Additional Cooling System Improvements

It is important that the fan settings in your tune are set up properly to see the best possible heat dissipation from your cooling system. Otherwise a low temp thermostat will only be effective when the vehicle is moving because heat cannot be removed unless there is air passing through the radiator. Typically with our 170° thermostat installed your cooling fan(s) should be set to turn on between 184-190° and shut off between 176-182°, if not then re-flash your tune with the appropriate settings.

Water transfers heat more effectively than antifreeze so we recommend using the lowest concentration of antifreeze possible for your climate along with a product like Redline Water Wetter. Just make sure you have enough antifreeze in your coolant to keep it from freezing in the winter and always run no less than 20% in a street car. We do not recommend adding Water Wetter to coolant that is more than 40% antifreeze."
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Did you burp the system?
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I'll check fan speeds with my handheld.

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    What he said^^^^^

I just installed the same t-stat, had Martyo change the tune according Reische's recommendations and I have seen my temp, measured via Scangauge II, go over 178 degrees.
    I'm assuming you meant haven't* seen them go over 178?

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Did you burp the system?
    Yes, most definitely. Followed Reische's write up on the procedure, same one I do every time I burp the system. It's air free. I checked the other night and topped it off.

I'll check the fan speeds using the handheld. I assumed maybe Marty was able to flash the fan settings when he tweaked my tune. Maybe I'm mistaken and I was supposed to do it, or I was supposed to give him the fan speed settings when I had him tweak the tune?
    2003 Black 300A

Mods:
    Mo's Tune - K&N CAI - 4.10 FOMOCO gears - Reische 170* T-stat - NGK TR6 Plugs - Flowmaster 40s - MuscleMerc's 3" Fuel Filter Mod - Addco Front and Rear Sway Bars - TCE SS Brake Lines - Cooper RS3-G1 - Factory Spoiler - SS Bumper Inserts

I don't think the marauder shows fan speeds on a handheld, unless they have made updates

Confused. First you said outside temps were 84 while cruising, then you said ambient temp was 70-74? Which was it?

Builder Of Badassery
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Confused. First you said outside temps were 84 while cruising, then you said ambient temp was 70-74? Which was it?

Builder Of Badassery
    same question as above, and, watching live data on both my Marauder and CV Sport - regardless of outside temps, stock cooling system, I'm not even 10* above your readings..
    sent from my rotary phone using Technicolor

2004 SILVER BIRCH/BLACK PAINT
    DARK CHARCOAL NUDO LEATHER
    #400 of 997 (SOLD)

2004 CV LX SPORT
    ALL BLACK, 6 DISC, TUNED MZT (SOLD)

2004 300A MM BLACK
    1 OWNER CAR, NO OPTIONS
    DAILY DRIVER

2013 DAYTONA R/T
    SUPER TRACK PACK
    DAYTONA BLUE PEARL
    #1763 off ~2100
    NOW WITH A 392 & 3.73 posi!

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Something definitely isn't right i have a 170* thermostat as well, cruising speed im at 172 to 174 in 80* weather , with a high of 186 in stop and go traffic , you may need to burp it again.
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

I don't think the marauder shows fan speeds on a handheld, unless they have made updates
    I checked today. No fan speed settings displayed in the list of parameters that can be tweaked before flashing the tune

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post

Builder Of Badassery
    Corrected in first post. I assumed ambient temps and outside temps were separate. Outside temperature was 84* but the data logging (using the INF_AMBIENT_TEMP value) showed an average of 75*.
    2003 Black 300A

Mods:

I get the same temps as OP with my Reische and MartyO tune, radiator has been cleaned and definitely properly burped.

From cold it will cruise up to 170, hang out there for a few minutes and work its way up to mid 190's, and will only come down after long coasts downhill injector shutoff type driving for a while, at which it can get as low as mid 170's.

All of this leads me to conclude improper fan settings, something I have been meaning to talk to Marty about.
    I eat apples until my stomach feels much more full than its normal.

The thermostat just regulates when coolant begins circulating......MAX TEMP has nothing to do with when the thermostat opens once the system reaches "equilibrium"!!

The cooling capacity of the radiator in conjunction to how much heat you generate are the factors that control temperatures and the equilibrium will change with changing conditions!! Note: my SC intercooler temps run 20*-50* above ambient and is in front of the radiator!!

I have a 180* thermostat (I think?) and mine runs at 193*-198* this time of year in traffic with no A/C....running......running the A/C will push it up to 208*-218* in traffic with ambient of around 100*.......been that way for 10 years!!

If my thermostat fails I'm going back to OEM....the quicker the system reaches its designed operating temperatures the better...IMHO!!
    No Marauder

IIRC mine sits steady at 174-176 at just about any temp. But I have been dealing with the fan being on at all times condition all summer that I quit chasing for now.

Builder Of Badassery
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

The Marauder Fan is not adjustable like a Mustang is unfortunately.
    It only has one programmable setting in the software.

If your temp gauge is reading 188 or higher and the fan is on high, there is no need to bother Marty for this. The problem is elsewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information