Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound Dampening Material

Sound Dampening Material

Anyone know about a good but cheap sound dampening material. What was in the car was a rubber like material and maybe 1/4 to 3/8 thick maybe but it is all cracked and torn in spots.

A lot of what I see online they say is 80mm thick which is like3 inches and some change. Know I probably need to replace it before putting in a new carpet kit but not sure what to buy.

I still have the old ones that were there and could use them as a pattern for new ones so don't have to buy them pre-cut.

Any suggestions???

Sound deadening has gone up in price so be prepared....

I would use one of the Dynamat brand knick offs. Cover the entire floor and then jute and then carpet on top of that.

I just did this set up in my Ranch Wagon except I used vinyl floor covering instead of carpeting and the car is remarkably quiet for an old car. I was very pleased with the outcome.

Same here. I bought a couple rolls from summit.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
    "Since 2004"
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I used Dynamat Xtreme, bought a couple of bulk packs of Amazon.

Cheaper stuff will be FatMat, HushMat and B-quiet.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlraven View Post
    I used Dynamat Xtreme, bought a couple of bulk packs of Amazon.

Cheaper stuff will be FatMat, HushMat and B-quiet.
    Sound stuff always reminds me of Ice and Water Shield from HD/Lowes. What's different about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    Sound stuff always reminds me of Ice and Water Shield from HD/Lowes. What's different about it?
    Yes and the stuff I guess they use to use, or at least what came out of my car, looks a lot like a thick piece of tar paper you would put on a roof under shingles.

Yeah people still go that super cheap route and the stuff stinks to holy heck.

Dynamat is rated the highest in quality but that also comes with a price due to the composition of the material it's made with. Differences between it's competitors is the millimeter thickness of the material and proprietary formula of the material. I'm sure stuff has changed since the days when I used to do SQ and SPL competitions.

Also have to remember that the thickness that is claimed is when it's in sheet/roll form, once you get a roller on it and start working it in then it becomes thinner.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Exhaust by Greg

Remember though guys we are dealing with a 1963 vehicle which has not undergone a rotisserie restoration so I am willing to bet the investment in the top if the line sound deadening material will not pay off.

The stuff I use us is around $3 a sq. ft. and I am will to bet it stands up to the higher priced stuff when used in an application like Matt's.

What is the brand that you use Marty
    94 Supercharged Miata
    92 5.0 Vert
    92 5.0 vert summer edition
    93 5.0 vert yellow feature car
    05 GT vert
    81 Fairmont, Vortech, 302, T-56
    03 Rubi

Yeah people still go that super cheap route and the stuff stinks to holy heck.

Dynamat is rated the highest in quality but that also comes with a price due to the composition of the material it's made with. Differences between it's competitors is the millimeter thickness of the material and proprietary formula of the material. I'm sure stuff has changed since the days when I used to do SQ and SPL competitions.

Also have to remember that the thickness that is claimed is when it's in sheet/roll form, once you get a roller on it and start working it in then it becomes thinner.
    Never thought about the tar smell. Good point Chris.
    Is there a spray in application that would get in all the little nooks and crannies?

Quote Originally Posted by martyo View Post
    Remember though guys we are dealing with a 1963 vehicle which has not undergone a rotisserie restoration so I am willing to bet the investment in the top if the line sound deadening material will not pay off.

The stuff I use us is around $3 a sq. ft. and I am will to bet it stands up to the higher priced stuff when used in an application like Matt's.
    I'm by no means saying to only choose Dynamat, there are a bunch of options, Dynamat, HustMat, FatMat, B-Quiet, DeathMat, SecondSkinAudio, Thermo-Tac, Stinger RoadKill, NVX and a few more I am probably forgetting.

Just as you are speaking of your experience, I am speaking of mine.

This would be the cheapest route
    http://www.instructables.com/id/inst...-your-car-fak/

Anything is better than what's not there currently. Just make sure whatever surface you will be applying stuff to has been cleaned with denature alcohol and lay the product out on a flat surface in direct sunlight for a few hours before using it, the sun will heat it up and make it more pliable.

Is there a spray in application that would get in all the little nooks and crannies?
    The smelly stuff is really mostly roofing tar paper from HD/Lowes. 3M makes an aerosol rubberized undercoating spray that can be used for tight spots but really isn't needed as any material can be cut to whatever size/shape you need. Make sure adhesive is Butyl type and find out heat tolerance of the product.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Exhaust by Greg

I'm by no means saying to only choose Dynamat, there are a bunch of options, Dynamat, HustMat, FatMat, B-Quiet, DeathMat, SecondSkinAudio, Thermo-Tac, Stinger RoadKill, NVX and a few more I am probably forgetting.

Just as you are speaking of your experience, I am speaking of mine.

This would be the cheapest route
    http://www.instructables.com/id/inst...-your-car-fak/

Anything is better than what's not there currently. Just make sure whatever surface you will be applying stuff to has been cleaned with denature alcohol and lay the product out on a flat surface in direct sunlight for a few hours before using it, the sun will heat it up and make it more pliable.

The smelly stuff is really mostly roofing tar paper from HD/Lowes. 3M makes an aerosol rubberized undercoating spray that can be used for tight spots but really isn't needed as any material can be cut to whatever size/shape you need. Make sure adhesive is Butyl type and find out heat tolerance of the product.
    Does the mat stuff also have cold tolerances. I know sometimes the glue material can freeze and becomes brittle or pops of what it's supposed to stick to. I have a headliner to prove it.

Checkout www.lizardskin.com
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

What does everyone here think about putting the jute that was in the car back in the car after cleaning it well with a degreaser and maybe some bleach solution???

The more I look at it the more it really does look as though it could be re-used. It's about 1/8 thick and has some tears but after being glued down well that wouldn't matter much I don't think plus its already molded. And a super plus is it would save matt some money!!!

Then putting down some jute padding 40 (1/2 inch thick) and then the carpet kit which comes with more jute padding already on it.

Bad Idea???

Have you priced jute? It's cheap. Get fresh stuff. The old stuff is contaminated with dust and odors. I know this and I have not even seen it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information