Thread: Emissions 101

Emissions 101

My Marauder is pretty much bone stock except for my Trilogy (which I love ). Like many of you, when I went for emissions recently, I was shocked when I failed. From the test results, the Monitors were showing "Not Available". Not knowing better, I figured it was because of the Trilogy tune and quickly flashed my stock tune back in (which the car does not like) and went immediately to have it retested. Failed again, but this time the monitors were "Not Ready". That was dumb, strike two, what do I do next???

I searched the forums for advice and I saw alot of incidents with others on this, but not really a great source of what is going on and what to do next. So I thought an emissions 101 lesson might be in order for those who recently failed emissions and need to know what to do next.

BTW, I am no expert on this but want to share what I learned from a simplistic view. If you already know the bascis, you may want to move on to the next thread.

Starting in about 1996, cars adopted the OBD II (on board diagnostics) system as a means to standardize. It provides a means to communicate to the various computers in your car (ECM, TCM, etc). They set errors codes when it detects when something isn't working correctly.

As I stated earlier, the emissions is failing because the States (IL in this case) are becoming more sophisticated in what they are looking for to pass. Until either January or July (I've seen both claims) this year in IL, the test was only looking for the "check engine" (as known as the MIL lamp, malfunction indicator lamp) to be on. If it was off, I guess you passed.

Now, they are looking for the monitor programs (there may be as many as 9 monitors in OBDII) to be active and running. The results of these programs running feed the MIL lamp and turn it on for failed monitor tests. I guess this is why Triliogy initially turned the monitors off in the tune as they may have contributed to occasional "Check Engine" lights (aka nuisance indication).

From what I was told, Trilogy came out with a new tune that allowed the monitors to run. This great piece of info was provide by Lidio, not Trilogy Motorsports who never answered my call or email (I was dissappointed because I always heard good things about their support). After installing the tune provided by Lidio, my problem was fixed and saw the monitors coming into status "ON" after a few miles. I am happy to say I have passed the emissions hurdle for 2 more years!!! (in IL you get check every 2 years, even year tests for even production years, etc).

Other items to note: Returning to the stock tune with a Triliogy will allow some of the monitors to run and complete, but many will never complete (Status "INC" incomplete), not matter how you drive, how long, and how many miles. I often saw "bank 1 rich" and "bank 2 rich" error codes that did not turn on the MIL lamp.

If an error code does fire, it restarts the monitors and it takes about 13 miles of different drving styles to get them to run to completion, providing your car is running correctly.

Don't forget if you ask Lidio for an updated tune, to tell him MODEL YEAR (03 A or B, 04 model year), rear gears, octane, etc. Apparently there is a big difference in tunes between 03 and 04 (though an 03 tune allowed my 04 speedo to peg at 140+ while doing only 30 mph, a great picture to have .

If you have other modifications on your car, it is going to be more complicated to get your car to pass. Consult somebody like Lidio who knows alot more about the tunes.

I think that all States who do emission testing will eventually get to looking at monitors. The States are not stupid.

BTW, it really burns when you know your car is running clean and fails emissions and later you see some beater belching out black smoke at every light...
    2004 Mercury Marauder

"Nice car! Let's go buy a 12 pack and see how fast it'll go!"

Born on 10/27/2003
    Delivered on 11/08/2003, 12 days after build!

#753 of 3214, #236 of 1237 in Black, Dark Charcoal

43 miles on Odometer at delivery due to pull by Ford Quality Test Track Run (official document provided)...

Original Owner, Trilogy #247. Bun Warmers, Trunk CD Changer, Full Size Spare w/unpolished Marauder rim, Trunk Storage Container, XL Marauder Jacket, Added Remote Gas Door. Steve Babcock signature under hood, on window sticker, and on owners manual.

Old news. But thanks.

Call Lidio for a fix, hopefully he will help you.

MA has been looking at monitors for years.

I had Lidio dyno-tune The Blackbird when the Trilogy was installed...that was back around...2005-6? I still have that tune and it has always had the monitors on.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Thread Information