Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know what type of material OEM bumper covers are? (plastic welding question)

Anyone know what type of material OEM bumper covers are? (plastic welding question)

I need to repair an extremely small crack in the edge of my OEM rear bumper cover, from some asshat hitting it in a parking lot. I am going to get a hot air plastic welder instead of using a 2 part epoxy.

I need to know what type of urethane the OEM bumper covers are so I know what type of plastic welding rods to use. Is it TPO, TPE, TPU, PUR, etc.

http://www.urethanesupply.com/identify.php

Thanks

Steve
    Steve H., Charles County, MD www.carfap.com
    1994 Lincoln Town Car. 98-02 front brakes, P71 steering and sway bars, Eaton swap build underway using TorkTech 4.6 2v intake kit.
    2011 Infiniti M37x
    2004 F250, v10 6 speed manual. ex-US Forest Service truck
    2000 BMW M5
    1976 Jeep DJ5 (postal)

Sorry, this made me laugh. I always tell one of the welders at work that welding is just gluing metal. I like to aggravate him because he takes welding very seriously.

Unfortunately I do not know the answer to you question. I would say that you need to be careful when selecting a grade for the repair. Regardless of compatibility you need to select a grade with a similar flexibility.
    2018 F-250 6.7L Crew Cab 4x4
    2013 Dodge Charge R/T Daily Driver/Beater - All original 208K miles and counting
    Sold - 04 Marauder, Silver, Dark Interior, Factory Sunroof.
    Z-Tune, JLT CAI, Z&M Control Arms, KYB Shocks, BC4E Dead Pedal, Pro Guard, Sparta Watts links, R1 Slotted Front Rotors, Braided SS Brake Lines, Automatic Traction Control "Turner-Offer".
    4.10 FRPP gears awaiting install (on extended hold).

Yeah they sell many many types of sticks. Knowing the parent material will drive me to select the same stick and then the weld will be as if there was never a crack in the first place. If you saw the size of the crack I am repairing you would laugh. It's about 1/4" long. Any body shop would fill it with flexible filler and move on but this cover was a brand new OEM replacement and I want to make it as-new again before I repaint it. Most bumpers will have a code on the back that tells you exactly what material it is, I have not looked on mine yet and sometimes it's obstructed when mounted on the vehicle. Just thought someone might know from experience or have a parts cover they could look at.

Steve
    1994 Lincoln Town Car. 98-02 front brakes, P71 steering and sway bars, Eaton swap build underway using TorkTech 4.6 2v intake kit.
    2011 Infiniti M37x
    2000 BMW M5
    1976 Jeep DJ5 (postal)

Try giving Spectragod a shout, I know he has an extra bumper. I have one, but I'm two states away from it or I'd check for you.
    Don't bring skittles to a gunfight.

i would repair it with a good epoxy that is made for rubber bumpers. kent automotive has alot of oem/icar certified epoxies that cover all the flexibilities of rubber plastic parts. the epoies can be sanded and smoothed to make it look as if never repaired. kent has a rigid, semi rigid and flexible epoxy and it explains which to use on each application.
    mills marauder

Steve, i have had a good amount of schooling in plastic welding and i'm glad to see your doing this the right way. You will still need to grind down your weld a tad and fill lightly. With that said, most all plastics are clearly marked with a stamp on the backside. I know our grille is PPE for example by the stamping.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I am aware of flexible epoxies. I don't want to use an epoxy because the bond will not be the same as performing a weld, from the reading I have done online. Although the crack i have is TINY, because these bumper covers have risen unbelievably in price, I need to make sure this repair lasts forever (or until some other asshat crashes into it). I figure I will notch the crack, weld it from both sides, and then after grinding the weld, use an epoxy to do any final filling
    2011 Infiniti M37x
    2000 BMW M5
    1976 Jeep DJ5 (postal)

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger in the Black Sedan View Post
    I am aware of flexible epoxies. I don't want to use an epoxy because the bond will not be the same as performing a weld, from the reading I have done online. Although the crack i have is TINY, because these bumper covers have risen unbelievably in price, I need to make sure this repair lasts forever (or until some other asshat crashes into it). I figure I will notch the crack, weld it from both sides, and then after grinding the weld, use an epoxy to do any final filling
    please post some pics, i may wana bring mine to you
    2010 fusion se

LOL I have never done plastic welding before, I don't know that you want me fixing any of your stuff, no guarantee of what the result will be. I'll post a pic in a minute, you will laugh at how small the crack is but I am PISSED because I had to fight with a body shop and the insurance company to re-buy me a new cover after their multiple botched repair attempts on my original with epoxy, and once I finally got a half decent repair completed someone runs into it in a parking lot.
    2011 Infiniti M37x
    2000 BMW M5
    1976 Jeep DJ5 (postal)

LOL I have never done plastic welding before, I don't know that you want me fixing any of your stuff, no guarantee of what the result will be. I'll post a pic in a minute, you will laugh at how small the crack is but I am PISSED because I had to fight with a body shop and the insurance company to re-buy me a new cover after their multiple botched repair attempts on my original with epoxy, and once I finally got a half decent repair completed someone runs into it in a parking lot.
    some one hit mine in a parking lot too, i think its just the paint thats cracked though.
    2010 fusion se

it should be pretty easy to tell if the body is cracked, push on it. Mine is a small crack right on the top edge but it is very clear when you push on it, it spreads. I have the tools to do the paint work myself but I don't have a particularly clean area to spray at this house yet. Probably gonna give it a go though and make a temp booth, I have had quite a bit of collision work done by shops over the years and I have never once been satisfied with the result. Then I waste tons of time being the bad guy and bringing stuff back over and over again, it's just not worth it.
    2011 Infiniti M37x
    2000 BMW M5
    1976 Jeep DJ5 (postal)

Duramix 4030, it will never break again in the same spot.
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

it should be pretty easy to tell if the body is cracked, push on it. Mine is a small crack right on the top edge but it is very clear when you push on it, it spreads. I have the tools to do the paint work myself but I don't have a particularly clean area to spray at this house yet. Probably gonna give it a go though and make a temp booth, I have had quite a bit of collision work done by shops over the years and I have never once been satisfied with the result. Then I waste tons of time being the bad guy and bringing stuff back over and over again, it's just not worth it.

yeah im pretty sure it just the paint but i dont wana go and make it worse lol. tell me about the clean place thing. i just painted a hood deck lid and bumper for a buddys stang and the dust was horrible. luckily hes a master with a buffer
    2010 fusion se

2011 Infiniti M37x
    2000 BMW M5
    1976 Jeep DJ5 (postal)

2011 Infiniti M37x
    2000 BMW M5
    1976 Jeep DJ5 (postal)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information