Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you view modding?

How do you view modding?

With the recent trilogy kits for sale and a few people also asking about rebuilding/replacing engines lately I was wondering what you all think about modding in general.

For example...

Some like to keep their cars stock maybe to try and keep value being original condition. Perhaps even reliability.

While others like to mod with ready to bolt on kits and accessories to compliment the factory specs.

Then some also like to swap engines, piece together and fab up stuff on their own.

Given the few amount of these cars made and limited availability, what's your approach/thoughts?

People seem to have a deep appreciation for the factory qualities of cars in general and seem to identify the car based upon that. But once you start modding, it seems to never want to stop. Just can't leave stuff alone anymore...

I guess what I'm wondering is:

Is there a point in the process of modding/building where you no longer think of a Marauder as still a Marauder? (Also think Fox body with Chevy motor)
    2004 Black Marauder: #2237 Born on 4/1/2004

Eaton Swapped and a bunch of other goodies!

IMHO, a Marauder is still a Marauder as long as it has the same body and drivetrain.

Your right.... once you start modding you can't stop.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Mine is mildly modded, I think it makes it "your own" when you make improvements/mods.
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

It's a disease that car guys have, usually from a very early age! Some don't start showing symptoms until they get a license though.

Me, been modifying stuff since I was a kid. At 46, my Mom still goes on and on about it! "You never could leave anything alone! "

Chris Stewart
    03 Marauder
    Paxton 2200
    20" wheels
    637.21rwhp
    538.59rwtq

04 DTR Son's car
    4.10, K&N CAI, Jeff tune
    Headers, underdrive pulley
    297.26 rwhp
    312rwtq

06 F-150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4
    305/55 20's

Unfortunately I think that not modding your car to help retain collector car value is not going to work. Even as these cars become more scarce, I still continue to see their value going down, and I am not certain they will ever gain enough respect out there to truly become a valuable classic.

On the other hand, modding does seem to usually result in significantly less reliability, again depending on how crazy you go. Especially, supercharging a stock block seems inevitable that it's going to blow sooner or later, where a lot of the guys that leave them stock (or at least mostly) seem to be able to get 250K on them with only minor maintenance issues. Modding certainly makes them more fun, but depending on how far you go in quest of performance can start to cost some serious bucks. that you will likely not get back if you try to sell the car.

In my opinion, they are a fun and reliable car right out of the box. (mine is mostly stock except for gears & a tune)..but each owner should weigh the pros and cons, check your bank account and do whatever you want to do to it to make it your own.

Quote Originally Posted by MM in MN View Post
    Unfortunately I think that not modding your car to help retain collector car value is not going to work. Even as these cars become more scarce, I still continue to see their value going down, and I am not certain they will ever gain enough respect out there to truly become a valuable classic.

In my opinion, they are a fun and reliable car right out of the box. (mine is mostly stock except for gears & a tune)
    Agreed on both counts. I fell in love with the Marauder just the way it was, I just wanted to do a few mods that "the factory forgot"
    Current cars:

2003 Marauder (*mostly* all original)
    2020 Kia Niro Hybrid (wife’s car & our commuter)

Previously owned a 2004 DTR and a 2003 DBP…and 76 other vehicles but we don’t have time to list all that.

I mod cars to combat boredom.

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Nothing better than building your vision , ive been modding /building cars since I was 16 , if I cant mod it , I don't want it!
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    At last the truth is spoken!
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Sounds about right

11.90 @ 117.5mph on 93 octane
    324 shortblock, Novi 2000, Now with optional axle removing tires
    Igziabeher

With my love for speed and cars starting with Supercharged Marauders and in my interest for cars in general growing since that day on, If I can't mod I don't want it honestly.
    If it's cheap and reliable it isn't fast
    If it's cheap and fast it isn't reliable
    If it's fast and reliable it isn't cheap

I'm not truly happy unless I'm faced with a challenge and currently work hasn't thrown me many. Plus having summit and Jegs on my contact list doesn't help matters, nor does home delivery curtesy of Advance.

Problem I have lately is I love to buy parts with good intensions but normally they are just ending up still in the box getting dusty on the shelfs.. Kinda burned out.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
    "Since 2004"
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by MM in MN View Post

On the other hand, modding does seem to usually result in significantly less reliability, again depending on how crazy you go. Especially, supercharging a stock block seems inevitable that it's going to blow sooner or later, where a lot of the guys that leave them stock (or at least mostly) seem to be able to get 250K on them with only minor maintenance issues. Modding certainly makes them more fun, but depending on how far you go in quest of performance can start to cost some serious bucks. that you will likely not get back if you try to sell the car.

In my opinion, they are a fun and reliable car right out of the box. (mine is mostly stock except for gears & a tune)..but each owner should weigh the pros and cons, check your bank account and do whatever you want to do to it to make it your own.
    You buy a car like these Marauder's to have fun with them. I have never bought a car for an investment or collector car value. I bought it because I wanted it.

Leaving these cars stock is boring. Go buy a Honda Accord if your into that. Supercharging these cars does NOT make them anymore less reliable than they already are. There are tons of turbo and supercharged factory cars out there with little or no issues. Its all in the programing of the PCM and your particular driving habits. If you cant keep your foot out of the throttle your going to break stuff. Uncommon sense.

Whats Marauder Rick got on his supercharged car? 150k? If I dont get bored first (an entirely different discussion) I plan on putting 100K miles on my blue............

I LOVE getting in my car everyday. LOVE it.

I wish you all the same feeling.

How do you view modding?

Quote Originally Posted by 8UWITH6 View Post
    If you cant keep your foot out of the throttle your going to break stuff.
    B.S.!

Oh wait. Never mind...

I was never warned. Or maybe I was wasn't listening? Besides, breaking things is like really expensive trophies you get to keep and provides good wall art/conversational pieces. You could say I have a few laying around...

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
    "Since 2004"
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

All of the above.
    Just plain Jane gets boring after a while, especially with the shift schedule of a stock Marauder. If you don't do anything else a tune should be mandatory and the first thing you do. Make the car more enjoyable.

Good thread, It bought Andy Capp out of retirement. What up Pops?
    Born 03/04
    Adopted on 01/03/05

2084 of 3213 & 691 of 983____Moonroof 185 of 335 of 1213

Now Procharger boosted #04

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information