Page 32 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2225262728293031323334353637383942 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Brakes on a not-so-big Budget? YEP

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    They would work with a 15" rotor.
    I have already done the research.
    If this is the case, I might try it. Going aftermarket 20" wheels next season anyways.

Now If I could just get me a set of Gerryjuice brake brackets.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'04 Marauder #357 of 3213 - Built and Eaton swapped - "MERCD"
    '21 F150 XLT 5.0 Sport
    '18 Chevy Malibu Redline
    '15 Mustang GT, performance package
    '01 BMW 740i M-Sport, manual swapped
    '97 Lincoln Town Car (black on black)
    '10 Harley Ultra Limited
    '08 Kawasaki ZX6R
    '03 Grand Marquis(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownMaraud3r View Post
    If this is the case, I might try it. Going aftermarket 20" wheels next season anyways.

Now If I could just get me a set of Gerryjuice brake brackets.
    LOL you would need to make entirely different brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    LOL you would need to make entirely different brackets.
    Ughhh fail.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'21 F150 XLT 5.0 Sport
    '18 Chevy Malibu Redline
    '10 Harley Ultra Limited
    '08 Kawasaki ZX6R
    '03 Grand Marquis(sold)

Does anyone have any pictures of the whole setup installed with the actual C5 calipers? Both with the wheel off and installed?

I got a set of Jerry's brackets for this swap from a member that sold his car and never installed the set. Just want to know what I'm getting myself into here....
    Last edited by drac; 10-23-2014 at 04:55 PM.
    2004 Crown Victoria painted in dark blue pearl (DX) M122 powered 4V conversion w/ supporting mods

9 thread Terminator heads/cams
    OEM 2v shortblock
    Ported/polished M122
    3.65" upper
    Metco stock sized lower ring
    SW ceramic coated LTs
    Power Bulge hood
    GT500 rims
    Zack brakes
    417 rwhp / 437 ft-lb @ 9psi
    Tuned by Greg at RET. Downey, CA

Quote Originally Posted by drac View Post
    Does anyone have any pictures of the whole setup installed with the actual C5 calipers? Both with the wheel off and installed?

I got a set of Jerry's brackets for this swap from a member that sold his car and never installed the set. Just want to know what I'm getting myself into here....
    Visit page 7 and page 26 of this thread for good pics.

There isn't much to it. You take a die grinder($45 if you don't have one) and trim a bit of the stock brake bolt location ears, and then .03" of the center hub hole on the GT500 rotor. Bolt everything on. Bleed. Done.

BTW, the first page shows the C5 caliper, although his says "BAER" on it, the NAPA calipers don't say anything.

I'll buy your brackets if you don't decide to do it. I am investigating whether or not better calipers would work. I'm not feeling the 2 piston base c5 calipers..

'21 F150 XLT 5.0 Sport
    '18 Chevy Malibu Redline
    '10 Harley Ultra Limited
    '08 Kawasaki ZX6R
    '03 Grand Marquis(sold)

There isn't much to it. You take a die grinder($45 if you don't have one) and trim a bit of the stock brake bolt location ears, and then .03" of the center hub hole on the GT500 rotor. Bolt everything on. Bleed. Done.

BTW, the first page shows the C5 caliper, although his says "BAER" on it, the NAPA calipers don't say anything.

I'll buy your brackets if you don't decide to do it. I am investigating whether or not better calipers would work. I'm not feeling the 2 piston base c5 calipers..
    You don't have any other options with those brackets.
    Is it sinking in yet?

I'm kinda with you ChiTownMaraud3r

I did not realize it at first but with the better thermal capacity of the front I realized that I was overheating the rears on the track - More piston area up front would bias more and even out temps - but as cool as a better front caliper would be I think I'll just put on some less aggressive pads on the rear and handle it that way.

Just curious, if the mounting ears for a better caliper are located too far inward why not offset the mounting holes so that the replacement caliper sits slightly higher or lower on the knuckle so that the mouting holes for the caliper and the knuckle mounting bolts don't have clearance issues - other than being more complicated to get fitment right on.
    I eat apples until my stomach feels much more full than its normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Logizyme View Post
    I'm kinda with you ChiTownMaraud3r

I did not realize it at first but with the better thermal capacity of the front I realized that I was overheating the rears on the track - More piston area up front would bias more and even out temps - but as cool as a better front caliper would be I think I'll just put on some less aggressive pads on the rear and handle it that way.

Just curious, if the mounting ears for a better caliper are located too far inward why not offset the mounting holes so that the replacement caliper sits slightly higher or lower on the knuckle so that the mouting holes for the caliper and the knuckle mounting bolts don't have clearance issues - other than being more complicated to get fitment right on.
    The problem is, according to Zack, the z06 caliper would have the pads touching the edge of the 14" rotor we are using since those calipers have a taller mount. This means the bracket would need to have caliper holes closer to the stock arm/mounting ears. Basically there's no more room to move those mounting holes in more. The only solution would be to upgrade to a 15" rotor and have a bracket with the caliper mounting holes offset the difference out more. The question is how much offset out from the current brackets? This would of course bring stock wheel clearance into question as well.

And Zack, I was wondering about CTSV 4 piston calipers, did you check those out? They seem to stick out more towards the wheel spokes, would need a spacer for stock wheels at the least..but maybe works with aftermarket wheels

'21 F150 XLT 5.0 Sport
    '18 Chevy Malibu Redline
    '10 Harley Ultra Limited
    '08 Kawasaki ZX6R
    '03 Grand Marquis(sold)

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    You might be thinking of a C6 big brake upgrade, Wilwood or Stop Tech, I'm talking about OEM calipers.

These aren't radial mount.
    I stand corrected! these are sweet calipers , but a 15" caliper will never fit a oem Marauder wheel , the 14" rotors are a tight fit.
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

The problem is, according to Zack, the z06 caliper would have the pads touching the edge of the 14" rotor we are using since those calipers have a taller mount. This means the bracket would need to have caliper holes closer to the stock arm/mounting ears. Basically there's no more room to move those mounting holes in more. The only solution would be to upgrade to a 15" rotor and have a bracket with the caliper mounting holes offset the difference out more. The question is how much offset out from the current brackets? This would of course bring stock wheel clearance into question as well.

And Zack, I was wondering about CTSV 4 piston calipers, did you check those out? They seem to stick out more towards the wheel spokes, would need a spacer for stock wheels at the least..but maybe works with aftermarket wheels
    Do you have any idea what factors go into 'slapping on brakes'?????
    -Rotor Offset
    -Caliper mounting hole spacing
    -Custom Brackets
    -Brake Lines

None of this is easy. It requires HOURS of precise measuring, modding, welding etc.

I have CTS-V calipers for my 93 Lincoln and it is going to require me bench building a mounting point for the caliper by modifying the spindle and welding custom mounting points on. Not easy by any stretch of the imagination.

If you move the new caliper mount holes to the side of the mounting ears instead of directly outward you would have tons more room, but besides the point you'll never get a fixed caliper to fit behide the stock wheel with the gt500 rotors, the stock wheel is just not freindly in that way and most of us dont want to mess up looks/performance by using rediculous spacers.
    I eat apples until my stomach feels much more full than its normal.

Thanks for the info. Looks pretty strait forward.

As far as the lines, I just get the "Zack kit" from TCE? I have been trying to follow the posts in this thread as much as I can, but they have gotten quite scattered at times. :|
    2004 Crown Victoria painted in dark blue pearl (DX) M122 powered 4V conversion w/ supporting mods

OEM 2v shortblock
    Ported/polished M122
    3.65" upper
    SW ceramic coated LTs
    Power Bulge hood
    GT500 rims
    Zack brakes

Thanks for the info. Looks pretty strait forward.

As far as the lines, I just get the "Zack kit" from TCE? I have been trying to follow the posts in this thread as much as I can, but they have gotten quite scattered at times. :|
    TCE's website shows "zach kits" as available. I'm sure if you call them, they can set you up.

'21 F150 XLT 5.0 Sport
    '18 Chevy Malibu Redline
    '10 Harley Ultra Limited
    '08 Kawasaki ZX6R
    '03 Grand Marquis(sold)

TCE's website shows "zach kits" as available. I'm sure if you call them, they can set you up.

Cool. But those are the right lines for this swap I presume?

OEM 2v shortblock
    Ported/polished M122
    3.65" upper
    SW ceramic coated LTs
    Power Bulge hood
    GT500 rims
    Zack brakes

Cool. But those are the right lines for this swap I presume?
    I believe Zack tested the lines and confirmed they are a perfect fit.

'21 F150 XLT 5.0 Sport
    '18 Chevy Malibu Redline
    '10 Harley Ultra Limited
    '08 Kawasaki ZX6R
    '03 Grand Marquis(sold)

Page 32 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2225262728293031323334353637383942 ... LastLast

Thread Information