Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: setina push bar installed!!

Quote Originally Posted by ultravorx
    here are some long distance pics, enjoy!!!
    Nice lake.

twolow Guest
    Some bought the Marauder because they want to look like cops but don't want to drive a weak $18,000 car.

The Marauder fits the bill to still look like a cop but have the luxury and power. The fact that Florida uses the Marauder just adds to the mentality.

The day a wannabe is pulled over and the cop inquires as to why you have a push bar or driver's side spot light I just don't see where the reasons stated are going to win over the officer.

But yes we all know why he added the push bar, to have drivers around him respect him for something he is not.

Frank,

I gotta say it looks pretty cool. I probably wouldn't do it to mine, but it's nice to see another MM that looks a little different. It may be for protection, looks, or for what ever reason, but it's no worse than some of the brush bars that people put on their high dollar SUVs that never leave the road.

I really don't understand why everyone even cares why you did it. Hell, we all know that we're pretty much driving a cop car anyway. Most guys on here enjoy the fact that people move out of their way on the road. I have read that many times.

Enjoy your new mod, and congrats for being bold enough to be different. At least it isn't lime green, and when the car stops, the wheels appear to stop with it.

There. . . . I had my say.
    John
    (oldekid)
    2004 DTR MM (Reba)
    Build Date: 05/25/2004
    # 3020 of 3213
    # 931 of 981 DTRs

I think that every one of you that are critisizing him for "trying to be like a cop" should back off. Maybe he likes the look...just because you dont doesent make him weird. I have Whelen strobe lights in my rear/reverse/front corners and it has nothing to do with being a wannabe LEO. Ive been to some Marauder meets and have seen some things that I personally wouldnt have done, but I respect it as a personality trait and leave it there. Plus Ultravox never said he wants to act like a cop. Why dont you just give a personal "i like it" or "its not for me, but good job anyways" and leave it alone from there without accusing or assuming things you dont even know for sure of????

Ultravox, I like it, although I probably wouldnt do it, I still like it and the agressive look it adds. Let us know if you ever put it into use!!!!!
    RIP 03 Procharged Marauder/FIT Kit #3.
    New Toy: 2001 Mustang GT built motor, heads, cams, and a Procharger D1sc. 539rwhp 457rwtq 11.5@125 on stock rear end and bald drag radials.

twolow Guest
    I walk around with a badge in my wallet but that doesn't make me a wannabe cop

The Look

I've been driving my 99 Crown Vic with a push bar for 5 years now. I have never attempted to intimidate or in any way draw on the police "power" or authority because of being a police car look-alike.

However, because those around you don't know if, or what you are (since there's no illegal red/blue lights on the car), you are surrounded by a lot more courteous drivers. It definately does make people look twice. They're less likely to pull out in front of you, less likely to cut you off, etc. This is compared to driving the Marauder with the same look, but without the pushbar.

The only problem I've had with the Setina bar is that the powercoat chips off. I've "painted" it with some black underbody coating over the years, it makes it look a little rough, but you can't tell when looking at it through the rear view mirror.

The advantage to it: It makes the car quieter. I removed the bar during a repair and was surprised by all the windnoise. The bar tends to push air out to the sides of the car, away from the mirrors, door handles, etc. and the car is quieter with the pushbar than without.

If anyone is interested in a 5 year old Aluminum pushbar let me know, the crown vic is headed for the junkyard soon and I don't want the look on my Marauder.
    2003 300B BLUE (stolen for 9 days)
    PI 3000 TC, 4:10 gear + girdle, Dynotech Driveshaft,
    bulletproof trans, 2nd trans cooler + deep pan & Redline D4 ATF
    Steeda UDs, Rear engine cooling kit, Denso plugs, high capacity oil filter on frame, Reinhart superchip
    + gauges, SilverStars, & fire extinguisher

2008 GMC Envoy SLT
    2006 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab/8' Bed; 21.5' long

I used to drive a LOT. In fact, I still drive above average miles. So, when I was looking for a car I was looking for a used CVPI entirely for the reason that I knew that other motorists would get out of its way on the highway. Honestly, I would have bought a Beetle Diesel if I thought that it would have the same affect.

As has already been stated here, very few motorists observe the "slower traffic move right" laws that virtually every state in the US has on its books. My buying reason #1 was minimizing the effect that left lane hogs had on my driving enjoyment.

I have never had a desire to be, imitate or act like a cop. I DID have a desire to leverage that mysterious affect that CVPIs have on other motorists. I don't see how anyone can actually think that people don't pull right or move out of their way on the highway unless that person never exceeds the speed limit or only drives in the right lanes.

When I discovered the Marauder it worked for me on every level. To me, it was a CVPI on steroids!! Am I the only one to look at the rear tail light treatment of, what is essentially a Grand Marquis, and wonder if Ford was playing on the desriability of owning a high-per CVPI? Am I the only one to wonder if Ford wasn't trading on that whole "Crown Vic Effect?"

I'll never know the answer but it doesn't really matter all that much to me. The fact is that I have a car that causes people to "mysteriously" move to the right. No other car that I have ever owned has had that effect. I have a car that out performs the lofty CVPI in almost every way.

Am I happy about my purchase? You bet I am. Am I trying to be a "cop-wannabe?" I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone (other than an actual cop) would even think that is desirable.

Do I wish that enforcement was such the folks got out of the left lane without having to see a 4,000 lb Crown Vic on their tail? You bet I do! Then I could have bought a convertible instead.

Anyway, other will question your motives for your upgrades, Frank. Let them. You know why you did it and that is all that matters. Nice mod!!!

Best,

Dan

PS: Frank, call me if you want me to share with you how to handle a cop that asks you about the push bar. There are ways to counter this, too.

Quote Originally Posted by ahess77
    I've been driving my 99 Crown Vic with a push bar for 5 years now. I have never attempted to intimidate or in any way draw on the police "power" or authority because of being a police car look-alike.

However, because those around you don't know if, or what you are (since there's no illegal red/blue lights on the car), you are surrounded by a lot more courteous drivers. It definately does make people look twice. They're less likely to pull out in front of you, less likely to cut you off, etc. This is compared to driving the Marauder with the same look, but without the pushbar.

The only problem I've had with the Setina bar is that the powercoat chips off. I've "painted" it with some black underbody coating over the years, it makes it look a little rough, but you can't tell when looking at it through the rear view mirror.

The advantage to it: It makes the car quieter. I removed the bar during a repair and was surprised by all the windnoise. The bar tends to push air out to the sides of the car, away from the mirrors, door handles, etc. and the car is quieter with the pushbar than without.

If anyone is interested in a 5 year old Aluminum pushbar let me know, the crown vic is headed for the junkyard soon and I don't want the look on my Marauder.
    I sent you a PM, btw.
    Trilogy #112 (self installed)

- Trilogy S/C (Stock pulley/tune) - 4.10's - JLT - SS Inserts - 4" Megs -

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    PS: Frank, call me if you want me to share with you how to handle a cop that asks you about the push bar. There are ways to counter this, too.
    I suppose if it's on a decomissioned CVPI it's a simple answer - came with the car. Or are they all removed like the lights/sirens before sale?

Or just tell them you love the Dukes of Hazzard.
    Trilogy #112 (self installed)

- Trilogy S/C (Stock pulley/tune) - 4.10's - JLT - SS Inserts - 4" Megs -

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

Had an aluminum Setina PB on my old P74. Had fun with it for a while pissing off a person in another forum that didn't understand that an opinion is just an opinion no matter how many and large formatted his posts were.
    Loved watching people try to figure out what car would have a PB and shiny alloy wheels.
    It's been gone for two years now.
    Had fun with a sawz-all on it. Alexandria dump got a little more aluminum that day.
    Incidently I kept the bumper travel limiter in place. I do not like airbags, always wear a seatbelt, and would rather save their deployment for when I really need it.

With the P74 all I had to do was get a new bumper pad trim piece. Never liked the chrome trim anyway. With the MM you're stuck with those two little holes in the bumper I would assume.

I would never do that mod to my MM. It was a phase...I got over it. Now I just accelerate past the ricers and rude drivers. Couldn't do that with the P74.
    Mischief Managed!
    Retired to weekend trips.
    105k miles.
    04MM Fully Loaded.
    Trillogy Stage II
    Metco RCA
    Baer Big A$$ Brakes
    GT40 Fuel Pump
    Lowered Suspension

Wanna-be cop confession!

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=610 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=608 colSpan=2 height=18>

</TD></TR><TR><TD width=608 colSpan=2 height=21><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=347><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=337 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=413 height=24>Program:Sergeant Preston of the Yukon</TD></TR><TR><TD width=413 height=18>Broadcast History:</TD></TR><TR><TD width=413 height=18>First Telecast: September 1955</TD></TR><TR><TD width=413 height=18>Last Telecast: September 1958</TD></TR><TR><TD width=413 height=18>Network(s): CBS (Thursdays at 7:30PM)</TD></TR><TR><TD width=413 height=18>Currently Airs On:</TD></TR><TR><TD width=413 height=20>Previously Shown On:</TD></TR><TR><TD width=413 height=20>Available Formats: VHS / DVD</TD></TR><TR><TD width=413 height=20>Related Links: (none)</TD></TR><TR><TD width=413 height=20>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width=259></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Ok, I admit it, I am a wanna-be cop-but not like some of you might think. I want a horse named Rex and a faithful dog named Yukon King! I want a revolver on a lanyard and a 30-30 lever action rifle. I want to command "On King, on you Huskies!" I want to say to the bad guy, "I arrest you in the name of the Crown". In the end I want to say "Well King, the case is closed". And my sled would have a push bar on it!
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Dan wonders if GreekGod is actually older THAN God.

Baby-boomer Mountie-man

Well, at least GreekGod wanted a 30-30 lever-action rifle and not a crummy RedRyder BB-gun.
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Duddly do-right??
    Last edited by Badger; 09-21-2005 at 05:56 PM.
    Mischief Managed!
    Retired to weekend trips.
    105k miles.
    04MM Fully Loaded.
    Trillogy Stage II
    Metco RCA
    Baer Big A$$ Brakes
    GT40 Fuel Pump
    Lowered Suspension

anyone who wants to look like a cop or have their car look like a cop car bears considerable watching.

too many guys out there wannabe a cop, its a scary thing and the pyschological make up of such a person is something to be wary of.

someone recently posted an Ebay item of a fake dash cam for sale.....i'm betting thats next.
    Guns don't kill people....... I do.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information