Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: (Stock) Fuel Filter Replacement

(Stock) Fuel Filter Replacement

I had the black beauty in the dealer for an oil change today, and the service dude told me they recommended changing both the air filter, fuel filter and "clean the injectors" at 15K. This and some other crap they can't perform (like an alignment and tire rotation) would set me back nearly two C notes. For like $50 worth of parts. I declined, then went to the parts department to buy an air filter replacement ($20, and they didn't have it in stock, which figured). But, hey, fuel filter at 15K? The maintenance manual says 30K and I've seen posts on here that say 25K. I'm betting the dealer is wanting to maximize profits by recommending filter changes at unnecessary intervals.

Which brings me to the point of this thread.... being mechanically retarded, is replacing the stock fuel filter within the capabilities of the average joe, i.e. can I do it, and what's involved or what tips can you offer me? I have this mental picture of spilling fuel all over the place and my car ending up looking like a briquette.

Oh, I passed on the injector cleaning, too.

It is a pressurized fuel system so I would let a pro do it when needed. Certainly not a job for a 4 yr old
    06 300C SRT8
    03 MM Gone

Air Filters

Don't pay that for a filter O'Reilley carries the Motorcraft filter just for our Marauders--have them look it up---then open the box and check that the filter itself is marked"FOR MARAUDER ONLY"--do not use any other "replacement" filter. Don't remember the price-hang on and I'll go get the number for you brb, Maury
    2003 MM 300B Black
    Born 11/12/02 Adopted 3/29/03
    "SHADOW"
    Hood Ornament

Filter #

I have the filter in my hand--markings:
    Ford Oval
    HANN FILTER
    3W33-9601-AB
    Has"FOR MARAUDER ONLY"
    Box lable:
    Motorcraft FA-1745
    Don't remember the exact cost, but it sure wasn't $ 20
    My car has 21,000 o it and I haven't spent much over 200--that includes 3,000 mi dealer oil changes and a tranny service (dropped pan and replaced filter, then backflushed). The fuel injector cleaning is not necessary ifyou use 93 octane--fuel filter, matter of choice--still have my original and pull 6,250 rpm with no problems--I realize that the service man gets points for sales, but they are taking it too far IMHO--Enjoy your Marauder Maury
    2003 MM 300B Black
    Born 11/12/02 Adopted 3/29/03
    "SHADOW"
    Hood Ornament

I have replaced numerous CV fuel filters and it can be messy!!

I would do it outside in the open.....depressurize the system by opening the fuel fill cap.....remove the band that holds the filter to the frame.... pull the plastic retaining clips....pull hoses and install in reverse order.

It shouldn't be a problem but you will get gas on ya!!

I read somewhere that the fuel system on the MM does not have a loop return to the tank?? If that's true the filter should last much longer than on a CV where the fuel is constantly circulated!!

Marauderjack
    No Marauder

Another thing to consider is how well your gas station takes care of the filters in the pumps? Obviously if you go to a station that looks like they care you shouldn't have to change your own filter too often, but if you get stuck stopping at dives you may want to consider changing yours more often.

Another tip on fuel filter changes is to locate the fuel pump relay and pull it out and crank the car until it doesn't run. This will relieve system pressure. Removing the gas cap relieves tank pressure. Together they will ease the mess. If you can't find the fuel pump relay you can unhook the inertia switch in the truck. Power to the fuel pump runs through this also. Most importantly...KEEP YOUR MOUTH CLOSED,WEAR SAFETY GLASSES and NO SMOKING. When you're done reconnect the inertia switch or reinsert the fuel pump relay, whichever you used to deenergize the fuel pump and cycle the key to build pressure back up in the system. Crank the car to start it. It may not catch the first time since you need to prime the fuel rail and injectors.

I know it's drawn out but you can do it yourself. You can wait until 30,000 miles. Ford recommends more or less a major tune up then. Air, fuel, oil filters, pcv valve, drain and flush the cooling system, change the trans filter and fluid or flush (dealer or customer choice). Some dealers do recommend air and fuel filters at 15k depending on Ford. At my dealer they started doing air and fuel filters the beginning of this year. It looks more like Ford pushing their dealers to sell more of Dearborn's parts.
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    300A Built on 6/20/2002
    #1777 of 7839

Replacing the fuel filter is easy, just like Marauderjack said:

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderjack
    do it outside in the open.....depressurize the system...remove the band that holds the filter to the frame...pull the plastic retaining clips...pull hoses and install in reverse order.
    Oh yeah...as Ebony said: "wear safetly glasses"...a little gas will always spill...

Depending on your environmental conditions, replacing the air filter at 15k is not too soon, and it's good insurance...same for the fuel filter; it's inexpensive and easy to do while you already have the car on the ramps for an oil change, although the more "normal" interval is closer to 25-30k.

OTOH, you were smart to pass on the injector cleaning...it's a waste of money. Most good brands of fuel already have a detergent additive package, so a separate injector cleaner operation is unnecessary; but if you want a little extra protection, just add a bottle of Gumout Fuel Injector Cleaner or Techron twice a year...
    Last edited by RF Overlord; 03-20-2004 at 05:30 AM.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

When you do the air filter, be sure to wipe the air box clean. You would be surprised how much road dirt accumulates in their in a very small period of time.

TripleTransAm Guest
    Here's something I always do as well, but only because I tend to get nice static sparks now and again getting in and out of vehicles like my Marauder and my Civic depending on what I'm wearing... I grab a ground strap and clip myself to a metal part of some kind (usually brake cable or hood hinge or something not easily visible and not painted). I haven't done the Marauder's filter yet, so I can't recommend any such point yet.

Call me anal... (others have called me worse)... but I don't have the luxury of working in a super airy well ventilated multi-bay dealership garage when doing this, so I don't want any static spark happening at the wrong time.

Thumbs up (Stock) Fuel Filter Replacement-Upgraded Fuel Filter

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Carlson
    I had the black beauty in the dealer for an oil change today, and the service dude told me they recommended changing both the air filter, fuel filter and "clean the injectors" at 15K. This and some other crap they can't perform (like an alignment and tire rotation) would set me back nearly two C notes. For like $50 worth of parts. I declined, then went to the parts department to buy an air filter replacement ($20, and they didn't have it in stock, which figured). But, hey, fuel filter at 15K? The maintenance manual says 30K and I've seen posts on here that say 25K. I'm betting the dealer is wanting to maximize profits by recommending filter changes at unnecessary intervals.

Which brings me to the point of this thread.... being mechanically retarded, is replacing the stock fuel filter within the capabilities of the average joe, i.e. can I do it, and what's involved or what tips can you offer me? I have this mental picture of spilling fuel all over the place and my car ending up looking like a briquette.
    Well today was picture perfect day for the upgraded fuel filter . I ordered the bracket and the FG800A Ford/Motorcraft fuel filter . I went under the car and disconnected the fuel lines that were connected to the filter in which some fuel will jet out for a brief 2-3 seconds , the fuel filter started to spill fuel so as MAC said I used an empty coffee can and drained the filter and caught the leaking fuel from both lines . next I removed the old filter from the bracket and removed the bracket . I then marked the bracket so I can drill a hole and mount the new bracket on top of it . I then placed the newer/Larger filter into the bracket and bolted up the modified bracket back in its place . If anyone goe's through with this , becareful as the high pressure hoses are slighty short with this filter and becomes difficult to install , but not impossible . "NOTE"- when you remove the fuel lines on the filter be aware that you must slighty pull the plastic Holding clips out first so the ends release the filter , But be careful as the clips while doing the Prior removal broke into two pieces . I placed half the clips back after the new install and drove to the dealership were I had to purchase new clips at 7.00 a piece . The Results- well I can tell you that the overall WOT has improved and the 3-4 second lag while at WOT is gone with a continuous climb in RPM . BTW- while buying the clips one of the service reps asked if the mod improved the RPM lag and I told him yes . he then tells me that they have been doing a simular Fuel mod like the one here on the CVPI for several years now due to the interceptors having a lean fuel problem at WOT during high speed acceleration and blowing their head Gaskets and Ford has known about this problem and have done nothing to remedy it . will post Pics in the Gallery . O and thank you Dennis for this Fuel Mod...
    I'll keep my Freedom, my Money, my Religion, my Guns & you can keep the " Change ".

Quote Originally Posted by 03SILVERSTREAK
    I ordered the bracket and the FG800A Ford/Motorcraft fuel filter.
    STREAK: I've done a search, but I must not be doing something right...

Can you post the P/N and cost for the bracket, again?

Danke Schöen
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

Wink P/N and cost

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord
    STREAK: I've done a search, but I must not be doing something right...

Can you post the P/N and cost for the bracket, again?

Danke Schöen
    RF-here is what you requested .
    Bracket assembly for the Fuel Filter-Part # F57Z-9A335-A (17.80)
    Fuel Filter-Part # E7DZ-9155-A or (FG-800-A) (15.76)
    Fuel Hose Clips (2) Part # 2F1Z-9A317-AA (12.80)-They cut me a break...
    (NOTE- You don't need the Fuel Hose Clips unless they break during the removal of the hose from the old fuel filter ) .
    I'll keep my Freedom, my Money, my Religion, my Guns & you can keep the " Change ".

Fuel Filter Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by 03SILVERSTREAK
    Well today was picture perfect day for the upgraded fuel filter . I ordered the bracket and the FG800A Ford/Motorcraft fuel filter . I went under the car and disconnected the fuel lines that were connected to the filter in which some fuel will jet out for a brief 2-3 seconds , the fuel filter started to spill fuel so as MAC said I used an empty coffee can and drained the filter and caught the leaking fuel from both lines . next I removed the old filter from the bracket and removed the bracket . I then marked the bracket so I can drill a hole and mount the new bracket on top of it . I then placed the newer/Larger filter into the bracket and bolted up the modified bracket back in its place . If anyone goe's through with this , becareful as the high pressure hoses are slighty short with this filter and becomes difficult to install , but not impossible . "NOTE"- when you remove the fuel lines on the filter be aware that you must slighty pull the plastic Holding clips out first so the ends release the filter , But be careful as the clips while doing the Prior removal broke into two pieces . I placed half the clips back after the new install and drove to the dealership were I had to purchase new clips at 7.00 a piece . The Results- well I can tell you that the overall WOT has improved and the 3-4 second lag while at WOT is gone with a continuous climb in RPM . BTW- while buying the clips one of the service reps asked if the mod improved the RPM lag and I told him yes . he then tells me that they have been doing a simular Fuel mod like the one here on the CVPI for several years now due to the interceptors having a lean fuel problem at WOT during high speed acceleration and blowing their head Gaskets and Ford has known about this problem and have done nothing to remedy it . will post Pics in the Gallery . O and thank you Dennis for this Fuel Mod...
    [img]

Thanks, streak!

I thought installing the oversize filter also required new ends on the fuel lines, but this is even better...I am so there, dude...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

Hey! Thanks to all on this one. I change my air filter faithfully every 10k and I wanted to get into the routine of doing the fuel filter every 15k.

Hey it can't hurt, right? And oversized...I really like that as well. Thanks 03SS.
    2017 Niro

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information