Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Ride- Crapped out!!?

Air Ride- Crapped out!!?

Beginning about 5 days ago. I started the car and did not hear the air suspension pump come on. Sometimes it takes about 3 minutes after the car starts to come on. That did not occur. When getting home I waited outside the car and did not hear the sound of air coming out of the air suspension system.

The car has been riding very rough, particularly from the back. When going over rough pavement or bumps. I can feel them, much more and the vibrations are much more noticeable.

I have not checked to see if it is just (hopefully) a fuse.

I assume the ride being much rougher and the vibrations are bc the air suspension system has stopped working. Not that I need new rear shocks.

Any help will be appreciated!

Could be these in order of probability :

Switch in trunk turned off.
    Compressor is shot. Have ever pulled out the compressor to clean out the bucket it sits in?
    Rear height adjuster is shot or is disconnected.
    Fuse is blown
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Air Ride Crapped out

Thank you for the suggestions The switch is on. I have not checked the fuse or the other things you listed. I will do that tomorrow. Is it common for the Air ride system to go at 151,000 miles or 10 years. Have you seen it happen to other MARAUDER'S.

How does your steering feel?
    My. MM had air ride issues and the steering got stiff. The air ride control module behind the glove box was bad, it also controls steering.
    It's all BS until you can show me the time slip!

Trilogy #36
    #2529 of 7839
    See Garage for mods.
    O bsessive
    C ar
    D etailer

SOLD

2014 Caddilac CTSV Wagon
    CAI
    DRs
    11.70 @ 119 mph
    505 RWHP at Mo's untuned.

10/16 mods
    Ported blower. LTs catless mids, flex fuel kit, pulleys, badness.
    621/626 on E49 tuned for E85
    10.65 @ 128.9 SSHS16

Quote Originally Posted by prg333 View Post
    Is it common for the Air ride system to go at 151,000 miles or 10 years.
    Yes, it's common. Usually the compressor dies as it sits in a plastic "tray" with poor drainage and gets corroded. Very easy to replace. Arnott or Suncore, I have an Arnott in The Blackbird.

Pull the compressor relay from the BJB and jumper pins 30 and 87...if the compressor kicks in, something else is wrong.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Air Ride Crapped out

I Started the car yesterday and I heard the compressor come on. The ride was better. I did not hear it come on when I came back to the car later. But the ride seamed fine. I assume it is supposed to come on each time you start the car, after It has sat for a certain period of time?

Prob time to have it looked at and replaced if it is working intermittently

Thank you for the advise

I assume it is supposed to come on each time you start the car, after It has sat for a certain period of time?
    No, it's only supposed to come on if there's a change in ride height.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    No, it's only supposed to come on if there's a change in ride height.
    Mine comes on every time I start the car. Every time I turn the car off it vents some air and the rear drops to level the car flat out.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

Mine usually comes on pretty frequently but not each time I start the cat if I am driving around a lot (doing stop and go driving) I will have to make a not each time it goes on or does not go on over the next week. Along with the type of driving

Quote Originally Posted by boatmangc View Post
    How does your steering feel?
    My. MM had air ride issues and the steering got stiff. The air ride control module behind the glove box was bad, it also controls steering.
    This is good to know. I had my air system not pumping for a while, so I converted to springs. Now my steering is very stiff. Does anyone have this module for sale?
    Tom
    This one is for sale:
    2000 GM-LS-HPP & DOHC!
    Finally, did the 1/4mile.

Finally bought a Marauder #2,385
    205,000 miles and did rear spring conversion

Quote Originally Posted by ts-pa View Post
    This is good to know. I had my air system not pumping for a while, so I converted to springs. Now my steering is very stiff. Does anyone have this module for sale?
    If you need a cut rate compressor ,the 1995 to 2003 compressors from the front drive Continentals[Intec v8's] will work with a slight modification. you have to remove the vibration mount bracket off of the old unit [3 torx nut screws ] carefully remove the bracket off the new used unit ,use silicon seal and reinstall the bracket on the new unit ,-bend the motor tab flat to accept the 3 bolt bracket and install back in the holder, the vent hose is not needed , plug socket in and put filter assembly back in .= Crank and go ..these compressors can be had for less than 50 bucks. also these compressors are quieter. Happy Maraudering !!!
    Roger that

Assembled 8/25/03. In service 11/5/03.[Safford Lincoln Mercury] . Returned from Service to Dundalk Lincoln Mercury 7/12/11 Adopted and reassigned to Street Duty 7/29/11 .at Car Center [Waldorf Ford] /Waldorf MD. # 27 of 997 silver burch #103 of 3214 Sold Oct 17, 2015. Replaced with 2016 XLT Explorer with 3:66 gear 4WD [ interceptor package] In addition 2015 -V6 Mustang added to the corral April 17,2015 with Roush upgrades .February 2018 upgraded to Explorer Sport , Ford blue ,intake upgrade, intake mod, Unleashed super tune, Governor removed. 1969 Mark III ,Forest Green still in fleet. Carlisle favorite .

My air ride and AC compressor acted up on different occasions......turned out the relays were bad!!

Swap the horn relay into the air ride spot and see if that fixes it?? If so it's simply the relay!!

I have over 10 years and 254K miles and my system still works OK!!

Good Luck!!
    No Marauder

Thank you for the suggestions The switch is on. I have not checked the fuse or the other things you listed. I will do that tomorrow. Is it common for the Air ride system to go at 151,000 miles or 10 years. Have you seen it happen to other MARAUDER'S.
    Yes.........10 years....65,000 miles.
    2004 MM (Black) #112 of 3213 (SOLD)

2022 Ford Ff-150 SuperCab Iconic Silver "Powerboost"
    3.35 L 4X4
    -AND-
    SLAYER1
    formerly owned by "Impala Slayer!! 2004 SB MM
    Kenne Belle 2.8 (Liquid Cooled), MMR "Boss 302" Block, L&M Engines rebuild Kooks Headers and cats, Accusump Pre-Oiler Dynamax VT mufflers, MBS 2 1/2" exhaust, 4.10's, 2800 stall, Argento 312 "Color" Powder coated wheels, Rears widened 1 1/2 "703
    702 RWHP/653 RWTQ @ 21 Lbs. Boost, M/M catch can, 3 pillar gauge (Boost, Fuel, air intake and coolant temp, custom console cover, S-55 treatment etc...

It could happen on the showroom floor......no real time frame!!

Check the relay before you go too deep!!
    No Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderjack View Post
    It could happen on the showroom floor......no real time frame!!

Check the relay before you go too deep!!
    Ditto>>>>>
    Roger that

Assembled 8/25/03. In service 11/5/03.[Safford Lincoln Mercury] . Returned from Service to Dundalk Lincoln Mercury 7/12/11 Adopted and reassigned to Street Duty 7/29/11 .at Car Center [Waldorf Ford] /Waldorf MD. # 27 of 997 silver burch #103 of 3214 Sold Oct 17, 2015. Replaced with 2016 XLT Explorer with 3:66 gear 4WD [ interceptor package] In addition 2015 -V6 Mustang added to the corral April 17,2015 with Roush upgrades .February 2018 upgraded to Explorer Sport , Ford blue ,intake upgrade, intake mod, Unleashed super tune, Governor removed. 1969 Mark III ,Forest Green still in fleet. Carlisle favorite .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information