Thread: NMCA Nats at Atlanta Dragway

NMCA Nats at Atlanta Dragway

I went to the NMCA Nats at Atlanta Dragway on 9-20. I entered the MM in True Street. I ran a disappointing 12.2 against a turbo charged Mustang who ran even worst then I did due to his own mechanical problems. The Mustang was running 500 HP.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/N...way_187435.htm

The new track concrete surface was really good. All the drviers were hooking up very well. I ran a 1.69 60' time (I have ran a 1.59, but as I have been told no MM like mine can run a 1.59). The new MT Street ET bais-ply tires hooked great and really wrinkled up a good foot print. One thing I noticed about the ETs, I did not hear or feel any tire spin off the line. Yes, I did experienced a little rear end shake, but it was expected and I was prepared for it. I ran the ETs at 20# and will lower them to 18# next time.

My MM trans slipped in the top end of second and hit against the rev limiter (6,800 rpm) and broke-up before shifting into third (and it still ran a 12.2). Not a good thing. I am glad I was runing 110 octane race fuel.

Fortunately I had a spare trans already being rebuilt by the Bradshaw Bros. at Team Ford. I just had the trans installed today and drove the car home this afternoon. Unfortunately Atlanta is going through a severe gas shortage. The worst I have seen in 30 years. There is NO 93 premium in Atlanta or even 91 middle grade. NOT good for a SC with 12+# boost. I had Scott pull my spark plugs and sure enough he saw evidence of detonation. NOT good at all.

An interesting observation at the NMCA Nats. The attendance was way down. The obvious result of fuel costs and gas shortages. It is very difficult to drive a SC car running 87 octane without using some boost. You sometimes just plain forget you got 87 when you NEVER ran 87 EVER before especially when a Crossfire SRT wants to play (never knew Chrysler made a Crossfire SRT - it was fast). The lack of 93 is really going to hurt the performance industry and will require a great deal of driver adjustment. I hope this shorage is just temporary, but it has been bad for the past 10 days and getting worst. I past 30 stations today with no gas.

So the MM sits with NO gas in the tank with a new HD race trans ready for SSHS8. NO fun in Atlanta tonight.

Glenn
    Last edited by Glenn; 09-27-2008 at 05:35 PM.
    Trilogy #124 SOLD - 8/2014
    11.80 @ 117.16 MPH: SSHS9
    1.74 sec - 60'
    443 RWHP/437 RWTQ
    "Stock Internal Engine" - Click Below

I love the guy, who kept asking "what the hell is that?" Also in the comment box at the bottom of video, they thought it was an Impala.
    "Damned if I do, damned if I don't!"
    Member #8831

MERIDEATH aka "Purrrty Mean" was born on June 20, 2002.
    Production #1685 of 7,838 and is #1685 of 7093 Black Beasts.
    Delivered July 27th 2002, she revealed herself.
    Unable to be tamed by her 1st owner, she was left to roam about & raid in search of plunder.
    Through the pillage she became mine on January 23, 2008 and since then...
    "She's tryin' to make a Devil out of me!"
    -"TaKe 'Em D0wN!" TRILOGY TwinScrew #209 / TS0019-

Thread Information