Thread: Colex Badge Refinishing

Colex Badge Refinishing

So after about 3 years, my Colex grill and trunk badges are looking like crap, black paint chipping around the god head and disappearing inside the letters.

Anyone refinish these without having to take them off the car? Care to share procedure you used? I'm thinking taping the whole badge off, spraying it with flat black and wiping it off before it dries so the only black left is in the indented portions.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
    2004 DTR
    Born 9/25/2003 Adopted Aug 11, 2010
    #175 of 980 DTR, #537 of 3,214 2004

Lidio Tune, K&N CAI, 4.10s, FlowMaster40s, SS Braided brake lines, SS Bumper Inserts, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, Lip Spoiler, Grill & Trunk Badges by Daniel, Audiophile 6L8T18C815FD.

Quote Originally Posted by NavySeabee View Post
    So after about 3 years, my Colex grill and trunk badges are looking like crap, black paint chipping around the god head and disappearing inside the letters.

Anyone refinish these without having to take them off the car? Care to share procedure you used? I'm thinking taping the whole badge off, spraying it with flat black and wiping it off before it dries so the only black left is in the indented portions.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
    Can do this on or off the car... be careful tho...........

Clean the badges really good, get any oil, dirt, etc. off.

Get the paint color you like, I prefer Testors Model enamel paint and a small brush.

Apply the paint to all the areas where there was once paint. Don't worry if you paint out of the lines.

Let the paint dry for a day or two.

Get some paint thinner, and this is where you need to be careful not to get paint thinner on the car paint, slightly dampen a lint-free cloth and rub the paint off the areas where is shouldn't be. Remember to slightly dampen the cloth so none of the thinner gets into the areas you don't want it.

Admire your work.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Can do this on or off the car... be careful tho...........

Clean the badges really good, get any oil, dirt, etc. off.

Get the paint color you like, I prefer Testors Model enamel paint and a small brush.

Apply the paint to all the areas where there was once paint. Don't worry if you paint out of the lines.

Let the paint dry for a day or two.

Get some paint thinner, and this is where you need to be careful not to get paint thinner on the car paint, slightly dampen a lint-free cloth and rub the paint off the areas where is shouldn't be. Remember to slightly dampen the cloth so none of the thinner gets into the areas you don't want it.

Admire your work.
    I'll make a trip to my local hobby shop for the Testors and brush this weekend. Thanks FBM!
    2004 DTR

Lidio Tune, K&N CAI, 4.10s, FlowMaster40s, SS Braided brake lines, SS Bumper Inserts, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, Lip Spoiler, Grill & Trunk Badges by Daniel, Audiophile 6L8T18C815FD.

received these tips in 2012 from DANIEL the man who made them. . .

"Remove all the paint with a paint remover or any solvent, let it dry. Paint the whole front of the emblem. Before it dries use Bounty with acetone or solvent to remove the paint carefully going over the head and the other areas you don't want it. . .another tip , polish and clean it with solvent before paint."

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/galle...173335/cat/500

He'll repaint it for a small fee if you don't want to try it.

Sounds a bit scary to do if you've never done it.
    I did mine several years ago and it still looks great!
    Just take your time. If you mess up just start over.
    Last edited by ncmm; 04-08-2015 at 11:55 AM. Reason: added link
    ncmm
    '04 Silver Birch MM 300A, build date:03/11/04, bought new 10/04 traded 8/08, 27k miles,

'04 Silver Birch MM 300A, build date:12/23/03, bought used 3/16/12, 24k miles
    113k miles as of 8/21/19. . .

update. . . sold 11/5/2019, 116k miles

Visit My Old Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by ncmm View Post
    received these tips in 2012 from DANIEL the man who made them. . .

"Remove all the paint with a paint remover or any solvent, let it dry. Paint the whole front of the emblem. Before it dries use Bounty with acetone or solvent to remove the paint carefully going over the head and the other areas you don't want it. . .another tip , polish and clean it with solvent before paint."

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/galle...173335/cat/500

He'll repaint it for a small fee if you don't want to try it.

Sounds a bit scary to do if you've never done it.
    I did mine several years ago and it still looks great!
    Just take your time. If you mess up just start over.
    I'll repaint it for free... just pay return shipping, if you want to remove the badges.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I'm pretty sure I can handle it. Thanks for the tips and offer. I'm going to try to get to it this weekend. Up until now, I've been spot painting the chips.

The last thing I want to do is take the badges off.
    2004 DTR

I'm kinda liking this look.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2004 DTR

nice job
    ncmm
    '04 Silver Birch MM 300A, build date:03/11/04, bought new 10/04 traded 8/08, 27k miles,

'04 Silver Birch MM 300A, build date:12/23/03, bought used 3/16/12, 24k miles
    113k miles as of 8/21/19. . .

update. . . sold 11/5/2019, 116k miles

Visit My Old Gallery

Thread Information