Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stutter/miss under load

Stutter/miss under load

I am having trouble. I have a stutter/miss under load. I have new plugs that will go in tomorrow with dielectric grease on the coil boots. What else should I be looking for. I have been suspicious that my EGR or DPFE have not been working correctly, but no CEL. Here is the the sequence of events.

1 - I noticed that the car was not shifting down when I try to accelerate at highway speeds. If I press harder, but not quite WOT it would finally kick down.

2 - Early one morning I accidentally put 87 octane in the tank. I was cruising at highway speed for about 90 miles. I finally realized what I had done when I hear it pinging that evening under load. I blended in some 105 octane E85. Don't ask be how I know, but I know that late model Fords can handle up to 35% ethanol. I ran down the tank without any further issues. I hope this mishap is unrelated to my troubles, but it was worth mentioning.

3 - Some time has gone by and I have picked up a stutter or miss under heavy load. At first it was just at part throttle and would go away if I went WOT. Now 2 tanks since I noticed it, it is present at WOT too.

Other info - I have 74,000 miles on it. I am running a Zack tune. I have had copper plug in it since about 40,000. Trans was last flushed at about 30,000. No check engine light with Zack tune or stock tune. Let me know what other info could help diagnose this issue.

PS. I really feel that it is not sensing load correctly. I have not checked my vacuum levels.
    2018 F-250 6.7L Crew Cab 4x4
    2013 Dodge Charge R/T Daily Driver/Beater - All original 208K miles and counting
    Sold - 04 Marauder, Silver, Dark Interior, Factory Sunroof.
    Z-Tune, JLT CAI, Z&M Control Arms, KYB Shocks, BC4E Dead Pedal, Pro Guard, Sparta Watts links, R1 Slotted Front Rotors, Braided SS Brake Lines, Automatic Traction Control "Turner-Offer".
    4.10 FRPP gears awaiting install (on extended hold).

What is the history of your coil packs?

Have you scanned for DTCs?

Coil packs are original. I scanned for codes about a week ago with nothing but it has gotten worse since then.
    2013 Dodge Charge R/T Daily Driver/Beater - All original 208K miles and counting
    Z-Tune, JLT CAI, Z&M Control Arms, KYB Shocks, BC4E Dead Pedal, Pro Guard, Sparta Watts links, R1 Slotted Front Rotors, Braided SS Brake Lines, Automatic Traction Control "Turner-Offer".

I have heard that any kind of backfire can cause carbon tracing. I hear that once that happens the miss just keeps getting worse.

I was planing pluges and dielectric grease on the coil boots.

+2 on the coil packs. I suffered through this for a long time, Dealer couldn't find it, no CEL, took it to a back yard mechanic and he bought a cheap coil pack and "walked" it through five cylinders, three were bad, before he told me to change them all. No problems since. I kept the cheap one for troubleshooting purposes. Stay with OEM, no Chinese.

The OEM coil packs are a common problem on these cars. Don't assume the DTC codes (or lack thereof) will be able to identify the problem with 100% accuracy.

The funny thing is, the Ford replacements appear to be highly reliable and are a different part number so they seem to have corrected the issue. Definitely replace them all, attempting to just change the "bad" ones is a waste of effort. They are all the same flawed design. They seem to burn through the plastic case and arc at the output.
    Lifespeed

2004 Silver Birch Marauder 130K miles
    Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

It is suggested that you change the Transmission fluid every 30,000 miles.
    Your trans might start slipping if you don't.
    That happened to me early on in my Marauder's life.
    Now I change every 30.

Update: I changed the plugs tonight. No sign of carbon tracing on the outer insulation. They were worn to .062 gap from the original .054. They were tr55 plugs from NGK.

New plugs are in. They are tr6 plugs gapped to .035. I put anti seize on the threads and dielectric grease in the coil boots.

Problem gone!

The next question is do I go ahead and put in the new coils that I have on the way or return them?

If you have original now throw them in if your not real tight on the budget.
    300A Black
    4:10 gears, Flowmaster 44's with rear cat delete, SW headers with 3 inch cats to 2.5 custom h. 3500 stall, Twisted synergy dyno tune, addco f/r , rear control arms, Novi 1200 air to air with the fixings.

Quote Originally Posted by Green96 View Post
    New plugs are in. They are tr6 plugs gapped to .035.
    On an NA motor?

Quote Originally Posted by martyo View Post
    On an NA motor?

Yeah. You don't think I should have changed heat range?

Yeah. You don't think I should have changed heat range?
    That plug is perfect, but I am not so sure why you are running such a tight gap?

No good reason to back up that decision. It looked like a lot of 4v cobra guys (old NA cars) are running tight gaps including a friend at work running .035 on his NA cobra.

Based on only getting 30k out of the old ones I think .054 was too wide. I would have expected them to last at least 50k.

Based on only getting 30k out of the old ones I think .054 was too wide. I would have expected them to last at least 50k.
    Copper plugs are generally only good for ~30k...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

No good reason to back up that decision. It looked like a lot of 4v cobra guys (old NA cars) are running tight gaps including a friend at work running .035 on his NA cobra.

I would recommend a .045, but that's just me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information