Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ford FE 390 question???

Yes sir, choke heat tube. There's a hole in the exhaust manifold that the tube should fit in. That hole should go all the way through so air can be sucked up into the choke thermostat spring, heated by the exhaust manifold. The hole could be full of rust and debris.
    1963 Marauder S-55, Super Marauder 406
    Only factory 406 powered Marauder, and earliest built Marauder documented to still exist.
    https://sites.google.com/a/wmich.edu/supermarauder/
    ______________________________ _____________

First retailed 2003 Marauder
    Bought 6 June 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Matt34 View Post
    Here are a couple of pictures. The carb is a new reman i bought when i first got the car and is very similar to the one that was on it. The line is metal and has that cloth heat shield on it and it was like that when I got the car.

Just hanging there but looks like it use to insert in that fitting just below where it cuts off. But I'm not really sure, when I got the car they didnt even have the firing order right so who knows.

Thanks for the help.
    Heat riser for the choke.

Advise reconnecting that tube to the manifold with clear hole as mentioned. these actually work.
    sent from my rotary phone using Technicolor

2004 SILVER BIRCH/BLACK PAINT
    DARK CHARCOAL NUDO LEATHER
    #400 of 997 (SOLD)

2004 CV LX SPORT
    ALL BLACK, 6 DISC, TUNED MZT (SOLD)

2004 300A MM BLACK
    1 OWNER CAR, NO OPTIONS
    DAILY DRIVER

2013 DAYTONA R/T
    SUPER TRACK PACK
    DAYTONA BLUE PEARL
    #1763 off ~2100
    NOW WITH A 392 & 3.73 posi!

Well I guess i need to get a new line because that one is rusted off at the end and wont reach that little fitting.

Any one know if that fitting it goes into at the manifold comes out and if so how?

I'm thinking it unscrews probably but not sure.

The reason I ask is because if I dont take it with me the auto part people wont know what to give me as a connector or will give me the wrong thing.

Thanks for the help once again guys.

Was working on a trailer today that was given to me by a friend but one of the wheels makes a terrible noise so I took the bearings out and they were old school ball bearings with the bearing insert that goes inside to roll on and the race on the other.

I took it to a NAPA and they told me those bearings were bearings for cars made in the 30's, 40's and 50's by GM. I believe the name of them was American journey or something journey.

So the hubs on this trailer are off a car from the 30's, 40's, or 50's.

And believe it or not they were still in semi-fair shape, I replaced the grease seal and cleaned them real good and repacked them and also replaced that washer with the little notch in it so it can slide through the groove on the spindle and put back on the same castle nut and they sound fine now.

Only mentioning it because I thought it was pretty interesting, had never seen bearings like that before.

Well thanks again and I will talk to you guys later.
    Last edited by Matt34; 11-02-2014 at 02:12 AM.

Do you have a pic of the fitting?
    Ex Panther Owner

There is no fitting for the manifold. It just slides into the hole in the manifold. The 1/4" steel tube would have had a rolled shoulder on it about 3/8" from the end to keep it from going in too far. That piece of tubing is rusted into the hole in the manifold. You may need to drill it out. As stated before, make sure the hole goes all the way through. It needs to pass air. I don't know if you'll be able to find a correct replacement tube or not. I think they are still available for 406/427 engines. If not, you can just get some 1/4" steel tube and make your own, re-using the insulation and compression nut. The rolled shoulder is not important.
    1963 Marauder S-55, Super Marauder 406
    Only factory 406 powered Marauder, and earliest built Marauder documented to still exist.
    https://sites.google.com/a/wmich.edu/supermarauder/
    ______________________________ _____________

First retailed 2003 Marauder
    Bought 6 June 2002

Well thanks again guys for the help, and yes after a little pb and some pulling and twisting I'm sure I will be able to get it out. If not I'll drill it with like an 1/8 or 3/16 bit to be safe.

Right now I'm not driving the car, still trying to get the interior done but the more i take out the more i want to just take it all out and go ahead and do some prep work to get it painted and then get it painted before i put it all back in.

Right now I got a new headliner (not installed yet), newly redone front bench seat, and new molded carpet kit. I met this lady who told me that if I gave her the material should would sew my visors up for me for 35 dollars...

I got them back today and they look terrible, I mean really bad. I went ahead and paid her anyway but also called Gary back, the guy who did the seat. It gave me a new appreciation of how good his work is in comparison.

He normally does whole car interiors not bits and pieces but said he'd consider redoing the door panels for me in the future and i think thats who Im gonna use from here on out. He's not cheap but the quality of work cant be beat.

Well thanks again kirk and everyone else, I really appreciate it and will be back in touch soon Im sure. Talk to ya later

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information