Thread: New TCE kit?

New TCE kit?

With all the interest in big brakes and the recent hub-bub over component size I figured I throw out a bone to anyone interested.

I'm prepared to do a full blown 14.25" Aero6 front kit for the Marauder.

That would mean going from the FNSL6 to the Aero6 caliper.

That takes us from the 7416 pad to the 6617 pad.

We'll move from 13 or 14 x 1.10" to 14 x 1.25" wide rotors also.

Means new brackets also. From the old lug mount to the new radial mount to even larger radial mount parts.

The net result: same specs as the top Corvette kit, Charger kits and others.

The catch: the price. I'd put this kit at $2179. Same price as the custom Charger kit TCE produces for the AWD cars. (about $400 more than a 'box kit' from Wilwood.

For someone to step up an say 'do it': 10% off the list price.
    TCE
    Your one stop...for Wilwood brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd TCE View Post
    With all the interest in big brakes and the recent hub-bub over component size I figured I throw out a bone to anyone interested.

I'm prepared to do a full blown 14.25" Aero6 front kit for the Marauder.

That would mean going from the FNSL6 to the Aero6 caliper.

That takes us from the 7416 pad to the 6617 pad.

We'll move from 13 or 14 x 1.10" to 14 x 1.25" wide rotors also.

Means new brackets also. From the old lug mount to the new radial mount to even larger radial mount parts.

The net result: same specs as the top Corvette kit, Charger kits and others.

The catch: the price. I'd put this kit at $2179. Same price as the custom Charger kit TCE produces for the AWD cars. (about $400 more than a 'box kit' from Wilwood.

For someone to step up an say 'do it': 10% off the list price.
    I take it these won't fit under the stock wheels.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Yeah, that's a big 10-4.

The Aero6 is about 1/4" wider, the rotor a higher radius, and the hat less offset by .150 or so. Overall...I'd say the stock wheel would need about 1/2 spacer.
    TCE

I'm in

I'm interested. I've got to do this before it is time for another front brake job. I imagine you will need a wheel to eliminate guess work? I was looking for an extra as a full-size spare anyway, would be nice to do this without downing my car by pulling a wheel off.

I didn't solve the pad area geometry problem, at first glance it looks to be a little more than 20% increase in pad area.

Now for some dumb questions:

Would it be any less practical to fit the TC6 or Grand National caliper? Is there a problem with maintaining piston area ratios between front and rear? I see that both the FNSL6R and Aero6 are available in 4.04" areas, although I don't know what combination of areas you specified for the 14" front 13" rear combo.

I guess it is possible that a larger area front caliper would dictate a rear caliper area increase to match, although the NMDP rear looks to be available in a wide variety of piston areas.
    Lifespeed

2004 Silver Birch Marauder 130K miles
    Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

I see Wilwood provides the pad areas, looks like a 34% increase in area and 37% increase in volume fron FNSL6R to Aero6.
    Lifespeed

Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

The wheel fit is pretty much as stated. You can bring up the caliper size specs and see that the Aero6 (not the wider 20mm pad option) is still wider than the FNSL6. Add to that reduction in hat offset and you have, again a need for close to 1/2" spacers. That alone will turn off 80% of the lookers. The other 19% won't like the added cost.. leaving the 1%ers!

The TC6R is simply to large. More home on 15-16" discs. The GNIII is an ancient model and lug mount making it far more difficult to mount. Both have excessive piston area meaning bias and long pedal travel feel issues.

It's not a matter so much of 'can it be done' but more of who would really buy it? From day one the fitment issue has steered these kits.
    TCE

Right, the large piston area would then require changing the master cylinder. Who knows how it would interact with the ABS?

What about the piston area ratios on the existing setup? Which piston area is used for the current FNSL6R?

I have a 20" X 8.5" wheel with 40 mm offset in mind (American Racing Maverick) that looks very similar to the Marauder wheel. I'll check fender lip clearance, etc.
    Lifespeed

Changing a mc won't effect ABS, just pressures. Less of it. ABS simply measure rotation, or lack of it.

I'd run the same 4sq" format in use now on the Aero6 as well.
    TCE

Haven't forgot, have a few other things going on right now. I'll get back to you shortly.
    Lifespeed

Quote Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post
    Haven't forgot, have a few other things going on right now. I'll get back to you shortly.

I'm not going anywhere...! lol
    TCE

Thanks Todd for your continued support of our full bodied beauty's brakes. I will stay with my 13" kit, and order new rotors soon. I'm still saving up...

Aloha, Randy

'03 A Build Date 8/02
    F.I.T. #6 ***RESURRECTED***
    *444 RWHP / 401 RWTQ
    *10 lbs. Boost
    *P1SC1 ProCharger
    *SCT Tuned *SCT Big Air 2400 MAF *BAP *GT 40 Fuel Pump *Modified FPDM *SSW Headers *MMX Drive Shaft *Metco Drive Shaft Loop *Metco Control Arms *T/A Stud Girdle w/ Diff Cover *Addco Sway Bars 3,500 Stall B/C Auto. Torque Converter *J-Mod *Wilwood 13" Big Brake Kit *Brembo Drilled/Slotted Rotors (Rear) *Widened Rims w/ 295 Nitto 555 *Autometer Wide Band A/F

When I turn on my car...It returns the favor

Thread Information