Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Going Turbo LS or Turbo 4v stock motor.....info inside.

LS swap is overdone. Do a Porsche 911 turbo swap. Rear engine marauder FTMFW!

Where is the like button?
    Neil
    2003 Mercury Marauder - DBP/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - BLK/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - SB/LF
    2004 Mercury Marauder - DTR/LF
    1964 Mercury Marauder - BLK/BLK

Getting pretty interesting in here guys! I appreciate the opinions, good or bad, and it's to be expected on an internet forum so no harm done. My best advice to those who don't care for other's opinion, use the 'Report a Post" button on the user in questions posts, the mod's will take care of it if it warrants action. I just stop feeding the trolls in this case

No worries, unless the moderators dictate otherwise, this thread will continue on as I progress, thanks for all that are interested for sticking around.

I was able to secure the final engine which will be used in this swap. Originally, I had procured two choices, an iron LQ4 6.0L (~345 hp all stock), and an Aluminum 5.3L (~320 hp all stock). After some trading, I last night I picked up the final engine for this combo.

I ended up getting an LS3 Corvette 6.2L (430 HP all stock). This will be my first 6.2L build on an LS series, however I've tuned a few of them and they seem to do pretty well. They are around 480-500 fly hp with full bolt on when in the Corvettes, and on boost seem to pull up VERY well.

So at this point, I've got about a month to a month and a half before I complete my remaining obligations in my shop, and get the Marauder back in for surgery! Till then I have a few car shows I will attend, and generally get used to and enjoy driving the car, which by the way are very nice in comparison to my old Vic (not intending to hurt anyone's feelings with a Vic!). The leather and full options, coupled with the sporty look and feel of the Marauder, heavily reinforces why these cars are so popular amongst the community of people that own them.

More to come!
    Last edited by 96gt4.6; 05-04-2015 at 07:02 AM.

That ls3 should do nicely! Can't wait to see this build.
    300A Black
    4:10 gears, Flowmaster 44's with rear cat delete, SW headers with 3 inch cats to 2.5 custom h. 3500 stall, Twisted synergy dyno tune, addco f/r , rear control arms, Novi 1200 air to air with the fixings.

When it's all said and done it sort of takes away from the marauder. I'm curious to which side you choose at a car show event? Will the focus now be on the Chevy powertrain driving the MM? There are a lot of die hard ford enthusiast that won't give two ***** about how much power this thing makes if its not POWERD BY FORD. Your car your built your $$. I'd just like to see more Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge rivalries. Will this become the new swap for the MM since the eaton swap started? If he says it's cheaper than the eaton swap would this be the new trend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'Just Live'

What PCM might ya use with the Chebby motor??

Will the rest of the Marauder work right with it??

Amazingly there is a LOT more to our cars than just the drive train....unless it's just gonna be a "Drag Car"!!
    No Marauder

Jack,

I use the stock GM computers ('99-07 Silverado), a GM 4L80E trans, and integrate all the stock shift linkage as well as keep all the stock gauges functional. Unless you open the hood, you can never tell what's under it. Please see my videos and build info on my Turbo Vic, as I had linked a fee pages back.

I prefer all my projects to be a true street car, in my mind that means it appears as close to factory visually and functionally as possible. Cruise, A/C and other O.E. systems are kept on board and operational.

First impression is everything. Which in the OP's case will be a Marauder. You cant make everyone happy, nor should you have too. But at least the skin of this being is Marauder, while the heartbeat might be something else.
    Neil
    2003 Mercury Marauder - DBP/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - BLK/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - SB/LF
    2004 Mercury Marauder - DTR/LF
    1964 Mercury Marauder - BLK/BLK

Quote Originally Posted by 96gt4.6 View Post
    Jack,

I use the stock GM computers ('99-07 Silverado), a GM 4L80E trans, and integrate all the stock shift linkage as well as keep all the stock gauges functional. Unless you open the hood, you can never tell what's under it. Please see my videos and build info on my Turbo Vic, as I had linked a fee pages back.

I prefer all my projects to be a true street car, in my mind that means it appears as close to factory visually and functionally as possible. Cruise, A/C and other O.E. systems are kept on board and operational.
    So the FORD PCM runs the rest of the car but how does it like not having the motor to control??

How do you get around the PCM inputs from the motor??
    No Marauder

On this particular model year of vehicle, the Ford ecu does little more than run the engine and Ford trans. The rest of the body has separate modules for their respective functions. the cluster less the tach, has all hardwired from sender inputs, so it's as simple as using the senders from the Ford engine on the ls Engine. I use a Dakota Digital SGI-5 signal conversion box to convert the ls computers digital speed signal output to a Ford sine-wave signal and feed it into the appropriate VSS signal wire on the Ford ecu pin. This let's the cruise and speedo operate on the Cluster.

Any vehicles newer than this, become more difficult dut to sshared sensor values over the vehicle network.

Quote Originally Posted by 96gt4.6 View Post
    On this particular model year of vehicle, the Ford ecu does little more than run the engine and Ford trans. The rest of the body has separate modules for their respective functions. the cluster less the tach, has all hardwired from sender inputs, so it's as simple as using the senders from the Ford engine on the ls Engine. I use a Dakota Digital SGI-5 signal conversion box to convert the ls computers digital speed signal output to a Ford sine-wave signal and feed it into the appropriate VSS signal wire on the Ford ecu pin. This let's the cruise and speedo operate on the Cluster.

Any vehicles newer than this, become more difficult dut to sshared sensor values over the vehicle network.
    Sounds like ya got it figgered out!!
    No Marauder

Hopefully anyhow! It's pretty much the exact same swap as my Vic was. The wiring is pretty much identical on how it's setup. I'd have to look in the factory wiring diagrams, but somewhere around '04-5 is the switch year I believe, and the wiring part of it gets more complicated, as most of the PCM's sensor values, ect are all shared over the vehicle network, which would greatly complicate things.

Fortunately, on this year of Marauder, it's still the old setup.

That LS3 is awfully clean. Has it been apart?
    2004 SB #2150 of 3214 Moonroof, Heated Seats and 6 CD Changer. Non OEM Mufflers and 32,XXX miles and counting.

No. It has about 10k on it, my friend that I got it from purchased it new (GM Crate engine) about 5 years ago, used in a pickup project until recently.

10k, that explains it. LS2 and LS3 frequently seep around the pan gasket. It just looked too clean.

Good luck with it and let me know if you intend to run it at the strip in Great Bend. I will come up and watch.

Bob
    2004 SB #2150 of 3214 Moonroof, Heated Seats and 6 CD Changer. Non OEM Mufflers and 32,XXX miles and counting.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread Information