Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: dash cluster lights went out ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chayton View Post
    Where is the suhnload sensor?
    It's the flashing light in the dash. If you turn the headlight switch off (no auto-lamps) you'll take the Sunload senor out of the equation.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Removing bulbs will not help you in the diagnosis unless the bulb itself has an internal short which is something I've never seen or heard of.

The fact that you had the console out means that is the first place you should look.

This circuit is a royal pain to test because after the LCM it literally goes all over the car, the dash lights, the gauges, the interior lights the lights in the door switches ect.

You really need the factory wiring diagram so you can locate the different connectors where the wires branch off to the different areas so you can isolate one section of the circuit at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by EMAS View Post
    Removing bulbs will not help you in the diagnosis unless the bulb itself has an internal short which is something I've never seen or heard of.

The fact that you had the console out means that is the first place you should look.

This circuit is a royal pain to test because after the LCM it literally goes all over the car, the dash lights, the gauges, the interior lights the lights in the door switches ect.

You really need the factory wiring diagram so you can locate the different connectors where the wires branch off to the different areas so you can isolate one section of the circuit at a time.

FML. Yeah I figured as much.. fun stuff

98 P71 SOLD

2003 MARAUDER - BLACK ~ Race Car
    2003 MARAUDER - DARK BLUE PEARL ~ DD
    2002 Crown Vic Sport ~ top secret project car

checked most bulbs and added dielectric grease. Fuse still blows over and over. now what I narrowed it down to was turning left, but it seems theres more to it. it seems the car has to be under a load or at certain rpm to blow. I can approach a left turn at 20 mph and rip the steering wheel around like a mad man, as long as my foot is off the gas the fuse wont Blow. Come into the same turn at 1/4 throttle and gently flick the steering left(bringing the top to about the 10 o clock position) boom. Out. I was also able to make it blow by WOT launching in a straight line. Going to get really get deep into the wiring tomorrow, but figured id post this up and see if this information could help narrow it down anymore....extremely frustrating as im pretty broke after all ive spent on the car, not trying to take it back if I could just fix it myself. Thanks for the insight guys.

98 P71 SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    I highly doubt it's the headlight switch.

Check the harness behind the drivers side cam cover.

Check the harness at the left front near the headlight and foglight
    As I said in post #21 (above), check the harness at the left front near the fog and head lights.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    As I said in post #21 (above), check the harness at the left front near the fog and head lights.
    Took your advice and went at it again. Previously I had checked this harness looking down into the engine bay, everything looked good(albeit it is a tight space) after doing more research I found a post showing in detail where the wiring harness rubs at the end of the frame rail. got underneath the car and low and behold I saw exposed wire. Taped it up real good and tada! No more blown fuses. Now I can sleep at night and dont have to buy any more fuses!! :p

98 P71 SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Chayton View Post
    Took your advice and went at it again. Previously I had checked this harness looking down into the engine bay, everything looked good(albeit it is a tight space) after doing more research I found a post showing in detail where the wiring harness rubs at the end of the frame rail. got underneath the car and low and behold I saw exposed wire. Taped it up real good and tada! No more blown fuses. Now I can sleep at night and dont have to buy any more fuses!! :p
    And there you have it folks!

Good job!
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Awesome man! Electrical issues can drive you nuts, glad it was an easy fix.

twix is the only candy with the cookie crunch.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information