Thread: Any tricks to removing the hood?

Any tricks to removing the hood?

I'm going to do the cooling mod and fix the wacky wipers this weekend. It seems that it would be much easier with the hood gone...

That said, any tips or tricks, or is it as simple as it looks?
    2003 300A, #5379 of 7838

Just disconnect the struts and raise it really high with a safe support. I don't even remove the hood to swap engines.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
    "Since 2004"
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

VERY SIMPLE. Only four 8mm bolts, two on each side. Just make sure to have a helper, a little heavy/bulky. Good Luck!
    2004 Black Marauder: #2237 Born on 4/1/2004

Eaton Swapped and a bunch of other goodies!

General hood removal suggestions, not specific to the MM.

I hook a strap, rope, etc. through the latch loop and attach the strap to my chain hoist. This way I can remove a hood by myself. The strap protects the paint, the hoist provides support and control while I am removing the bolts. As a note, I have never had the hood off of my MM, but this is my general procedure for any other hood I have taken off. If you aren't going to be moving/jacking up the car once you get the hood up and want to raise it high as justbob said, you can use hook the latch loop up to whatever you have above the car(rafter, etc.) for a tie point/support. This makes a much safer support than a makeshift prop rod.

If you do intend to take the hood completely off, look at the mounting points/bolts. Hoods, as most body parts, have slotted/adjustable mountings. You can mark around them with tape/soapstone/etc. and save yourself a lot of time re-aligning when you go to put the hood back on. You would just put it back in the same place it came from by centering everything from your marks. Some I have done needed no extra marks because the washers on the bolts and the hinges had already marked the paint well enough to use for reinstallation.

Ronnie
    03 Marauder #1489 of 7839 vin 615325 built 6/24/02 first purchased 3/29/03 adopted 10/28/08 with trade-in of a 04 v6 Mustang

98 Grand Marquis
    95 Ford F150
    94 Chevy K1500 Ext Cab
    91 Ford E-250
    91 Chevy R3500 CrewCab
    87 Corvette convertible
    82 Chevy El Camino Royal Knight SS
    79 Ford F150 4x4 w/460
    + several others for parts and projects
    No, I don't own a car lot......I just like driving options!!!

Like justbob said.... no reason to remove the hood. Once you remove the cowl you'll have plenty of room.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by 460mudsports View Post
    General hood removal suggestions, not specific to the MM.

I hook a strap, rope, etc. through the latch loop and attach the strap to my chain hoist. This way I can remove a hood by myself. The strap protects the paint, the hoist provides support and control while I am removing the bolts. As a note, I have never had the hood off of my MM, but this is my general procedure for any other hood I have taken off. If you aren't going to be moving/jacking up the car once you get the hood up and want to raise it high as justbob said, you can use hook the latch loop up to whatever you have above the car(rafter, etc.) for a tie point/support. This makes a much safer support than a makeshift prop rod.

If you do intend to take the hood completely off, look at the mounting points/bolts. Hoods, as most body parts, have slotted/adjustable mountings. You can mark around them with tape/soapstone/etc. and save yourself a lot of time re-aligning when you go to put the hood back on. You would just put it back in the same place it came from by centering everything from your marks. Some I have done needed no extra marks because the washers on the bolts and the hinges had already marked the paint well enough to use for reinstallation.

Ronnie
    To add to this.........

While the hood is mounted to the hinges, drill 2 1/8" holes in each hinge, when reinstalling use 4, 1/8" rivets in holes for the alignment, it will fit as perfect as does prior to it's removal.
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

let us know how the cooling mod goes, I hear you can do this without removing the intake. etc.

Thanks guys. I'm doing all the radiator hoses, idlers and tensioner at the same time as the cooling mod and the wiper motor assy. I hope they all show up in time to do this on Saturday, Sunday's shot. Rockauto is the only place I could find the lower radiator hose (with the tee).
    2003 300A, #5379 of 7838

Alternative to get it right back where it came from:

Drill a tiny little hole (big enough for a small nail) through the center of the hinge plate on each side (where it mounts to the hood itself) before you loosen any bolts. Stick your nail in there to make sure it slides in and out freely to test the hole size. Take the nail out. Then take the hood off.

When you put the hood back, use the little hole, and a nail on each side, to line up the hinge plates exactly where they were before. If you are worried about rust, paint the hole on the hood and on the hinge plate, and let it dry while you are working on the car.

Between the factory bolt holes and your new little nail hole, your hood will go back where it was.

Quote Originally Posted by 460mudsports View Post
    General hood removal suggestions

(stuff deleted)
    Ronnie

"That's what." - She

Kenny Brown Mercury Marauder 'S' - Kenny Brown Signature Edition #10 of 10
    Silver Birch #126 of 4,453
    Mercury Division, Ford Motor Company, Panther/Marauders #7,221 of 7,839

MercuryMarauder.Net Member #111 (!)

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Just disconnect the struts and raise it really high with a safe support. I don't even remove the hood to swap engines.

"Since 2004"
    This

2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black
    Build date: 9/26/03 552 of 3214 2004's
    105K miles Second Owner. Charcoal interior Heated Seats All stock with Lidio 91/93 Octane tune 14.85@95.63 with 93 tune only. 96 cobra intake cams in the cellar, pondering TR6060 swap.

Pictures

2004 Crown Vic LX 150K Silver Birch with Light flint leather. Auto dim mirror, EATC and steering wheel radio controls. 21mm marauder rear sway bar and wood steering wheel. MM head unit , MM subwoofer coming (really) 04 P-71 80 mm MAF/ airbox 04 p71 zip tube 04 P-71 PCM swap. Heated mirrors with silver birch endcaps coming!!

Pictures

1996 Lincoln Town Car Signature
    Touring Edition 250K 2004 PI 2V swap complete! Sold

Pictures

74 Laguna S-3 Project car Original 400 Small block

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy View Post
    This

Close. My hood struts are relocated and raise the hood high enough to not even touch those anymore.

"Since 2004"
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Thread Information