Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acceleration Issue (read "lack of sufficient")

Acceleration Issue (read "lack of sufficient")

Ok. So I was out driving, enjoying the lovely weather, and got onto a wide open stretch of road. With the windows open, so I could enjoy the wonderful sound of V8 goodness, I romped on the gas to have a little fun. Well, my fun didn't last long as the engine began to bog down and the "check engine" light started blinking. I let off the gas, coasted for a bit, then the light went off and the engine almost returned to normal. Now I don't have full acceleration at WOT (it hesitates a bit), everything runs fine though as a normal acceleration, and I hear a loud clicking noise under the hood. To me it sounds like a fuel injector, but too loud. I can't pinpoint the exact location (almost seems like it could be near the rear of the motor), but because I can easily hear it and is coming from on top somewhere, I'm fairly certain that I messed up an injector. Does anyone have any thoughts?
    "Beast, Jr."

2003 300 A, 4.10:1 gear, JLT CAI, Marty tune, Nitto 420S and 555 tires, NGK TR55 plugs, J-mod, Skull lock knobs, and a new windshield

when was the last time u changed your fuel filter

Check your coils I had a similar issue without the noise if I can remember but go by an advance auto parts get an engine check for free, if it says misfire on any cylinder you got a coil problem

mcthompson2001 Guest
    it,s not the coil,just got my mm out the shop,it the canister purge valve,plus bad plugs or just your plugs,but do change your fuel filter.And check the cam sensor too.

Doubtful it's an injector. If the CEL came on, there should be a stored code. Advance or AutoZone should be able to read the code. Hopefully you haven't launched a plug.
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

Mike, perhaps I could take a quick look sometime today. Let me know.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

If you have clicking, it sounds like a blown out plug.

Do not panic, it is easily repaired at any competent Ford dealer.

do you have a tune on your MM? when was the last time you changed your battery? same thing happened to me when i needed to change my battery, the tune turns off the alternator when at WOT, so with not enough cranking amps in the battery you get that loud clicking sound before it stalls out plus the dash lights up like a Christmas tree...hope it's an easy fix for you like it was for me
    2003 SB Marauder
    production sequence number 6913 of 7839
    color sequence number 3 of 417

Born date: 3/25/03
    Adopted date: 2/25/06

Lidio's tune, SS Inserts, Machined Marauder Pedals and Footrest, Aero2525, Custom H-Pipe, Deleted 2nd set of cats, 2.5in piping over axle, Megs 4'' RES Delete tips, aftermarket deck lid spoiler , Custom god's head grille emblem, S-55 tail light treatment (thanks silversurfer03), 265/50 rear, 235/50 front nitto 555's, 4.10's , K&N CAI, GMS coil packs

-If you're not first, you're last-

Ok...

I don't recall when I last replaced my fuel filter, but I want to say it was in summer of 2008, and I know I haven't put more than 15K-20K miles on it... Supposing I'm correct in my assumption. I have a fond memory of replacing it, considering I had to secure it in place with zip ties.

I'm still using the factory original battery which has been going strong, even in the sub-zero temps we've seen around Chi-town in the last year or so. But I don't have a tune on it... Yet.

Zack, if you heard the clicking, I'm sure you might agree. It's very regular and just sounds like an injector, only louder than normal.

Currently, the check engine light is not on. After it stopped blinking, it just turned off and has remained off.

I'll definitely take a look at the plugs, though, and make sure that none have some loose. Bob, if you feel like lending your eyes to the endeavor, you're more than welcome!

Pm me your addy, I'll have some free time tonight.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

First there will be a stored code go to some place and find out what it is

First there will be a stored code go to some place and find out what it is. Parts store's like Auto Zone will do this for free for you and give you a print out as well.

Once you do this you can start to track down the problem much easier seeing the PCM is registering the problem or admitting it occured.

Intermiten problem dosn't mean it went away. Even though there is no longer a solid check engine light the part that failed @ that time might do it again and premanantly fail and might leave you stranded some where.

Bought Her for my 40th B Day in August of 2004 @ Crest Lincoln Mercury
    Assembled 12/17/2003
    #1183 of a build of 3214
    and is #379 of 1237

Link to Mod's and car:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...o=view&id=8832

Link to Pictures of the Kids/Animals, Cars I have built or a hand in building as well as cars and trucks I have owned.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...php?albumid=16

Im going with the plug issue. They are known to loosen up or shoot out of the head. I already had one loosen up and cause all sorts of issues. The clicking could be the coil shorting or arcing against the walls of the cam cover. Start checking plugs ASAP.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

Well, I had to head out for a bit, then on the way home (only a few minutes away) things got weird. Heard an odd noise and the car started to vibrate. A couple minutes later I'm home. Check the plugs, and indeed, second one I checked, it came out. So right now it's all cooling off, then I'm going to try and clean it up and see what there is to see. I'm hoping it just unthreaded itself and didn't strip the threads, otherwise I'm SOL (no job means no money for repair).

Quote Originally Posted by ledzilla View Post
    Well, I had to head out for a bit, then on the way home (only a few minutes away) things got weird. Heard an odd noise and the car started to vibrate. A couple minutes later I'm home. Check the plugs, and indeed, second one I checked, it came out. So right now it's all cooling off, then I'm going to try and clean it up and see what there is to see. I'm hoping it just unthreaded itself and didn't strip the threads, otherwise I'm SOL (no job means no money for repair).
    I got lucky and it threaded itself out and I was able to reinstall it. Did you look at the plug and check for metal around the threads?

Its not that expensive to have the threads repaired. Ebay even sells a thread repair kit for pretty cheap but not sure how well it works.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

I can't reinstall the plug, it's badly damaged. The tip is bent up and there's damage to the threads, but the way the threads are damaged I can't tell if it occurred after the plug became loose or from the act of the plug becoming loose in the first place. I thought I had some old plugs sitting around, try and see if they go back in ok, but I don't have any that I can find.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information