Thread: Not all thieves are stupid, an important read.

Not all thieves are stupid, an important read.

Not all thieves are stupid, some things to ponder...

1. LONG-TERM PARKING
    Some people left their car in the long-term parking at San Jose while away, and someone broke into the car. Using the information on the car's registration in the glove compartment, they drove the car to the people's home in Pebble Beach and robbed it. So I guess if we are going to leave the car in long-term parking, we should NOT leave our registration/insurance cards in it, nor the remote garage door opener. This gives us something to think about with all our new electronic technology.

2. GPS:
    Someone had their car broken into while they were at a football game. Their car was parked on the green which was adjacent to the football stadium and specially allotted to football fans. Things stolen from the car included a garage door remote control, some money and a GPS which had been prominently mounted on the dashboard. When the victims got home, they found that their house had been ransacked and just about everything worth anything had been stolen. The thieves had used the GPS to guide them to the house. They then used the garage remote control to open the garage door and gain entry to the house. The thieves knew the owners were at the football game, they knew what time the game was scheduled to finish and so they knew how much time they had to clean out the house. It would appear that they had brought a truck to empty the house of its contents. Something to consider if you have a GPS - don't put your home address in it. Put a nearby address (like a store or gas station) so you can still find your way home if you need to, but no one else would know where you live if your GPS were stolen.

3. CELL PHONES:
    I never thought of this! This lady has now changed her habit of how she lists names on her cell phone after her handbag was stolen. Her handbag, which contained her cell phone, credit card, wallet, etc., was stolen. Twenty minutes later when she called her hubby, from a pay phone telling him what had happened, hubby says, "I received your text asking about our PIN number and I replied a little while ago." When they rushed down to the bank, the bank staff told them all the money was already withdrawn. The thief had actually used the stolen cell phone to text "hubby" in the contact list and got hold of the PIN. Within 20 minutes he had withdrawn all the money from their bank account.

Moral of this story
    a. Do not disclose the relationship between you and the people in your contact list. Avoid using names like Home, Honey, Hubby, Sweetheart, Dad, Mom, etc.
    b. And, very importantly, when sensitive info is being asked through texts, CONFIRM by calling back.
    c. Also, when you're being texted by friends or family to meet them somewhere, be sure to call back to confirm that the message came from them. If you don't reach them, be very careful about going places to meet "family and friends" who text you.

4. PURSE IN THE GROCERY CART SCAM:
    A lady went grocery-shopping at a local mall and left her purse sitting in the child seat of the cart while she reached something off a shelf. Wait till you read the WHOLE story! Her wallet was stolen, and she reported it to the store personnel. After returning home, she received a phone call from the Mall Security to say that they had her wallet and that although there was no money in it, it did still hold her personal papers. She immediately went to pick up her wallet, only to be told by Mall Security that they had not called her. By the time she returned home again, her house had been broken into and burgled. The thieves knew that by calling and saying they were Mall Security, they could lure her out of her house long enough for them to burgle it.
    *PLEASE PASS THIS ON
    Even if this does not pertain to you, please let your family and friends know so they don't get caught in a scam.

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

4 is hilarious
    03 300a. black #1695 of 7839 born 6/20/02.
    Adopted 3/31/11. Sold

03 300a black #1199
    TERMINATOR SWAP
    430rwhp. Done by mo's

#1 is good advice that I will follow from now on.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Wow! Things to really think about. That one with the cell phone asking the husband for the pin was brilliant. We really have to start thinking smarter becuase obviously the criminals are. Thanks for the information.

'13 Pearl White GMC Acadia SLT-2.

'13 Pearl White Nissan Altima 3.5 S.L.

Ex-owner of an '03 300a Black Mercury Marauder EOW: 02-12-2015

I wake, ride my bike or hitch hike. I only carry cash and a gun. \Really it is great advice. If a criminal took all their energy and knowledge and did positive things then they could be like the president or senator or something..

Quote Originally Posted by Shaijack View Post
    I wake, ride my bike or hitch hike. I only carry cash and a gun. \Really it is great advice. If a criminal took all their energy and knowledge and did positive things then they could be like the president or senator or something..

Like again

Quote Originally Posted by Shaijack View Post
    Hahahaha!!!

Like! Where's the dern Like button??? Oh yah, wrong place. Must use the mm.net LB.

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

I had a variation of #1 done to me. We were at church. They broke into the truck and took the garage door opener and registration. Once they had that they proceeded to ransack the house.

Not fun, especially sonce they stole tax documents from the file cabinet.

My local law enforcement suggested I black out the address on the registration. Technically illegal, but they would accept it assuming no wants/warrants.
    Previous
    2003 DPB 232 fo 328.

Never leave a GPS on the dash and even a empty mount on the dash. Because 9 out of 10 times the GPS is in the console or glovebox. Lots of vehicle break ins because of this in schenectady.
    300A Black
    4:10 gears, Flowmaster 44's with rear cat delete, SW headers with 3 inch cats to 2.5 custom h. 3500 stall, Twisted synergy dyno tune, addco f/r , rear control arms, Novi 1200 air to air with the fixings.

Thread Information