Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alignment guys (Fox body Mustang)?

Question Alignment guys (Fox body Mustang)?

Maybe someone has some info on my questions. I just figured some of you have owned Mustangs (or do).

Are there any settings that are better than "stock" settings, for a stock set-up on a '91?
    Or are the "in spec" settings just fine for normal driving?

Should the camber settings be slightly more negative on the passenger side for driving straight?

I just got new tires, and the camber settings (while in spec) look like the tires are going to wear huge on the insides! Plus I get a right side pull>

Thanks.
    "Barry's" the name;
    Drums and Cars are my game

"I smash the pedal; air and fuel go in; witchcraft happens; I go fast!"

"No question is stupid, if you don't know the answer!"

2004 / Black / 1981 of 3214.
    #184 of 509 in black out of 1214 total in all three colors with the moonroof option.

I have fully adjustable coilovers on mine, took it to a local shop that specializes in suspension geometry, they worked some magic with all the settings on mine.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

It all depends on how you are going to drive it. Did they give you a print out of the before and after measurements? How did the previous set of tires wear?

Different settings from side to side are more commonly done on FWD cars since the power is transmitted through the steering wheels and that causes some movement of the components. Usually with RWD cars, that don't do circle track racing, you want your caster and camber to be as close a possible to the same, side to side.

^^^^ They did give me a printout of the before and after. The before (also concerning tire wear) really doesn't play in here; as the last alignment I had was - here it comes - in 1992!! That was when the last new tires went on!

From side to side now, everything is in spec and virually the same on both sides.

I do have a pull to the right though, and thats some of my concern here. Everything has been checked and cleaned and freed-up; and I'm being told that asymetrical tires can do this - not sure about that statement myself.?.

Just didn't know if there was a better setup that anyone has found for a very average driving car. No track or racing or anything of the like.
    "Barry's" the name;

#184 of 509 in black out of 1214 total in all three colors with the moonroof option.

Are your tires one directional? If they are not switch your front tires from side to side and see if it still pulls to the right, if it does then its a suspension issue, if it tracks straight leave it alone and if it pulls left then you should have the now front driver (originally front passenger tire) re-balanced and checked.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Exhaust by Greg

^^^ crap! I was afraid of that.

The tires are not directional. I did the swap side to side; and the car still pulled right (as it did before the swap).

What do I look for in the suspension for an issue? It's never been hit or anything like that; the shocks were done by me last summer; the springs are original. Not sure what to do next.

Maybe just have the alignment guy adjust afew degrees to drive straight? I know that's not the "right" way, but....
    "Barry's" the name;

Maybe you should have the front tires remounted and swapped to opposite sides?

Something won't cost anything but time, could swap the front shocks?

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Exhaust by Greg

^^^ maybe I'm alittle uneducated on this, but what will remounting change? Also, why would remounting the shocks do? (I'm not being "smart" - I just don't know).
    "Barry's" the name;

pull didn't start until the new tires were put on? If there's no pull in the alignment and it didn't start until the new tires went on, there's your answer. You could also check out the steering rack as a possible culprit.

Also is it a drives itself into the ditch pull or a general wandering to the right. I do have to explain road crown to a lot of people. Not saying anything to be derogatory, just covering all the bases.

^^^ Ford did the alignment before the tires were put on (about 2 weeks before - on 20 year old tires). The pull started then. The car was set to spec; then the mechanic just put some degrees in it to correct the pull. It was clearly not in spec after that based on the "before and after" printouts given to me by the shop that just did the new alignment Monday morning. But it did correct the pull.

Now with new tires, the car has the same right-side pull. It is a "general wandering pull" as you put it. Not drastic.
    "Barry's" the name;

it sounds like they were trying to correct a tire pull originally when they aligned the car with the 20 year old tires. now that you have good tires that don't pull, its now pulling due to the way they set it up previously.
    the new alignment should have corrected it. it would help alot if you gave us the current specs
    you'll want slightly more positive camber and/or negative caster on the left side to correct a pull to the right.
    Canadian Marauder
    black 300a
    JLT intake
    SCT Tuned by Lidio
    Blacked out Tail lights
    FRPP shorties - Mac Prochamber x-pipe - Dynomax Super Turbo's and delete tips
    Addco front and rear sway bars
    lowered with 1 coil cut
    cooling mod
    Ford Racing 4.10's
    Vortech S-trim collecting dust in the closet

I'll post up the numbers when I get back home this afternoon.
    "Barry's" the name;

For a street car I always set the camber to 0, If you can a bit more crispness cornering then you want to bring the caster settings positive as much as possible. Setting positive caster will give you NO tire wear but increase camber while turning.
    FRPP dealer owner of SpartaPerformance.com
    We are an authorized independent AMSOIL dealer.

Ok, here's what I've got.
    Left Front:
    Camber: -0.9
    Caster: 1.8
    Toe: 0 in

Right Front:
    Camber: -0.7
    Caster: 2.0
    Toe: 0 in

Total Toe:0 in
    Steer Ahead: 0

Yet I still have a drift (not a pull) to the right. Everything is tight, and solid.
    As the caster/camber plates are stock, they are as positive as they are going to get. The Camber is as close to 0 as they will get also. They will adjust no more. The rear end is straight.
    Last edited by Rockettman; 04-20-2012 at 12:11 PM.
    "Barry's" the name;

Hmm as per the specs you posted the vehicle should not pull or drift. Are you sure you don't have a seizing caliper or wheel bearing??
    FRPP dealer owner of SpartaPerformance.com
    We are an authorized independent AMSOIL dealer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information