Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Autopsy Results.....OUCH!!

Sounds like your on the right track. Double and triple check your fuel system and ignition system. Put the new bullet in and let her rip again.
    Neil
    2003 Mercury Marauder - DBP/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - BLK/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - SB/LF
    2004 Mercury Marauder - DTR/LF
    1964 Mercury Marauder - BLK/BLK

After reading the description that MarauderJack posted regarding detonation, I began to wonder if there is a gauge or indicator that will someone a visual sign when detonation is occurring. I googled "engine detonation gauge" just to see if this device exist.
    Google returned responses that list Summit as to having a Casper Knock gauge and another listing regarding a "KnockBlock" that can be used to assist engine tuning and supplies a light that can viewed by the driver to alert that detonation is occurring.

Has anyone here had experience with items such as these? If they work, sounds like a good thing to have. I suppose most people would not know if their last fill up of fuel was a good batch or bad unless conditions indicated such. By the time a person realizes this, the engine could have suffered quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by PHHHHTT View Post
    After reading the description that MarauderJack posted regarding detonation, I began to wonder if there is a gauge or indicator that will someone a visual sign when detonation is occurring. I googled "engine detonation gauge" just to see if this device exist.
    Google returned responses that list Summit as to having a Casper Knock gauge and another listing regarding a "KnockBlock" that can be used to assist engine tuning and supplies a light that can viewed by the driver to alert that detonation is occurring.

Has anyone here had experience with items such as these? If they work, sounds like a good thing to have. I suppose most people would not know if their last fill up of fuel was a good batch or bad unless conditions indicated such. By the time a person realizes this, the engine could have suffered quite a while.
    The best defense it a good offense....I'm sure you have heard this!!

My tune was conservative but I think the timing was adjusted for 93 octane...perhaps dangerous since fuel looses octane fairly rapidly??

I am going with a 91 octane tune with the new motor guts and buy ONLY from a reliable source when I can (Shell)...no more discount gas unless absolutely necessary...then drive it easy (right??).....probably not!!

We are all vulnerable to fuel delivery mistakes and some station owners may even "mix" higher octane tanks on purpose.....I probably got some old gas or maybe a mixture of 89 and 94...I don't know but I'm asking our State Regulators to check this station......if the octane is low on the 94 I may pursue compensation...we'll see?? 95% of the 94 octane buyers probably use it in cars setup to run 87 octane thinking they are doing better for their cars so a slug of lower octane would not hurt and would actually help them!!

Tuning for "max power" is very dangerous unless you are absolutely sure of the fuel you are using!!
    Last edited by Marauderjack; 11-27-2014 at 04:02 AM.
    No Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderjack View Post
    Hey Tom......where did the piece of piston go.....on the catalyst and burn up??

Here are some more photos of the engine removal and tear down!!
    Never did find that piece--but it wasn't as big a piece as yours---mine was about quarter size of yours that is missing...will try a get a pic FWIW....

My rebuild re-coned my pistons tops to where they were curved and not squared that came OEM
    03' MM Black 300 A - (FOR SALE--)
    Build Date 6/25/02 - #1,987 of 7,839 for '03
    Vortech T- TRIM -Water to Air -
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    Interior Marauder Floor Shift
    All New Parts

'12 F-150 KingRanch Off Rd Pkg.
    373 Gear EcoBoost- Does What's Asked

In Memoriam....11-14-13
    He loved this site so MUCH! and the Members More!!

Rex Weinbender (SC Cheesehead)

One of the best friend a person could have

Does anyone recommend an octane boost additive each time you fill up?

Can too much octane be a problem, I have a Lidio tune and drive it stiff but I don't trust the fuel when purchased as you never really no for sure.
    2004 Silver Birch
    K and N intake, Lidio Tune, 4:10's, Rear Cat Delete, Megs Res delete tips, Flow masters, drilled slotted rotors, Lip spoiler, Colex Gods Head Emblems, Bob White Inserts, Marauder sill plates, Nitto's Extreme 555's, heated seats, sunroof .

Quote Originally Posted by Island Cruiser View Post

Can too much octane be a problem, I have a Lidio tune and drive it stiff but I don't trust the fuel when purchased as you never really no for sure.
    Octane boosters in the store dont do anything but raise octane a few points(10 points per octane number) I would recommend mixing in a race gas with a higher octane. Too much octane can foul plugs, and leave lots of carbon deposits behind, also it will make your wallet lighter. Unless tuned for a higher octane than 93, running a 104 octane will do nothing.

Absolutely not.

When the average OTC octane "booster" says it raises the octane by 4-7 "points", what they are really referring to is 4-7 TENTHS of an octane rating. IOW, it will raise 91 octane to 91.4 - 91.7. Not enough to be useful, plus the chemicals used create valve and spark plug deposits.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Cruiser
    Can too much octane be a problem,
    Not a problem, per se, but using fuel with a higher octane rating than needed buys you nothing. If you have a tune or other modifications which make higher than 91 needed, then of course you should use it, but otherwise it's just money out the tailpipe.

*I see whitey beat me to it...*
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Marauderjack, may I ask how much boost / timing this setup had ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Recent new owner of a 2004 SB
    RIP 2003 Black 300A

Whitey and RF Overlord, thanks for the info, happy thanksgiving to you and your crew.
    2004 Silver Birch
    K and N intake, Lidio Tune, 4:10's, Rear Cat Delete, Megs Res delete tips, Flow masters, drilled slotted rotors, Lip spoiler, Colex Gods Head Emblems, Bob White Inserts, Marauder sill plates, Nitto's Extreme 555's, heated seats, sunroof .

Blog Entries

The Volvo Club of NA ran a test on several octane boosters. Lucas was by far the best raising the octane significantly. I have used when I was at the track and could not easily get race fuel.

I would not use it on a regular basis for the reasons stated. If you need higher octane look into a 50/50 meth system.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Quote Originally Posted by Jeronimojc View Post
    Marauderjack, may I ask how much boost / timing this setup had ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not sure on timing but in cool weather it would make 11 PSI but normal was around 9 PSI!!

That fateful day it was VERY STRONG which leads me to believe lower octane could be the culprit!!
    No Marauder

Typically an engine build that will see supercharging will have the top ring gapped 0.002" larger than for a naturally aspirated engine. And there is always the gapless ring option, which is actually able to accommodate more expansion because of the overlapping ends. So this is another one of those areas where a purpose-built bottom end has an advantage over stock.

That said, paying close attention to tune, fuel and the possibility of detonation remains very important.
    Lifespeed

2004 Silver Birch Marauder 130K miles
    Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

I was cleaning up 2 of the piston/rod assemblies for gag gifts and LOOK WHAT I FOUND.....YIKES!!

Wonder how many more are damaged??

Stay Tuned!!
    Last edited by Marauderjack; 01-12-2019 at 03:33 AM.
    No Marauder

If you want to splash the tank with a little race gas to suppress detonation there is nothing wrong with that. If you are running on the ragged edge on a pump gas tune I would suggest it. Otherwise just lower the timing down for 91 octane and motor on down the road.
    Neil
    2003 Mercury Marauder - DBP/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - BLK/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - SB/LF
    2004 Mercury Marauder - DTR/LF
    1964 Mercury Marauder - BLK/BLK

While not powerful enough to do damage itself, the effect of mild det is to blast the thin barrier layer of air that clings to and protects the piston from direct heat. Without this boundary layer, the piston rapidly heats, and where does piston heat go? The rings. The rings expand with the greater heat, and if they don't have enough ring gap to expand, the ends of the top ring butt against each other. With nowhere left to expand, they begin to push outwards with great force, seizing in the cylinder bore. With the ring stuck but the rod pulling the piston down, something has to give, and the top ring land shears off. Under these conditions, what the piston is made of makes no difference.

So, what we need to know now is why it had detonation to cause all this. The most common reasons are insufficient octane (old/bad batch or mis-labeled fuel), excessive timing advance, lean fuel/air mixture, engine over-temperature (overheat or accumulated heat from a long power pull), carbon buildup, or wrong spark plug heat range. Usually, it's a combination of two or more of these, and there are other possible causes. The primary job now is determining those causes and repairing the issue to avoid a repeat. Note that the fact this engine is supercharged is not a contributor, as a normally-aspirated engine would do the same thing, under the same load conditions.

One of the best written explainations I've read.
    It has happened to me, and how / why is in the words above.
    You have a smart engine builder
    sent from my rotary phone using Technicolor

2004 SILVER BIRCH/BLACK PAINT
    DARK CHARCOAL NUDO LEATHER
    #400 of 997 (SOLD)

2004 CV LX SPORT
    ALL BLACK, 6 DISC, TUNED MZT (SOLD)

2004 300A MM BLACK
    1 OWNER CAR, NO OPTIONS
    DAILY DRIVER

2013 DAYTONA R/T
    SUPER TRACK PACK